• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Molehill

International Captain
Coventry, like Stoke, is one of those places I have just never been to. Strikes me as one of those towns that one would just never visit incidentally. Not necessarily knocking it or anything. I just can't imagine anyone, without having some specific reason to go/be there (e.g., uni or work), would ever say "Hey, I know! How about a day out to Coventry today?".
Coventry gave us The Specials, Stoke gave us Robbie ****ing Williams!!

But yeah, I've been to Coventry 3 times - once on a canal boat (my mate spent most of Uni telling us about the charms of Cov Canal trying to compete with those of us who lived on the Coast, so we ended up doing it), once to buy a car and once to IKEA!!

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Mind you. I say that as someone who lived in Woking for a year despite not working there or having any other reason for being there other than the fact it was a (sort of) convenient halfway point between Portsmouth and London.
Heard good things about the Pizza Express there. Food fit for a prince.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think this belongs here, because it's a bit of an anal **** question, but will this be the first time, maybe ever England play Brazil weere a composite side of the starting line-ups would be predominantly English.

I mean this was the last one

Jake Livermore, Ryan Bertrand and Eric Dier as captain, suffice to say we've come a long way. Interesting that that was Joe Gomez debut.

Full list for those sad enough to play along

Tom Flint

International Regular
Fully fit sqauds would be about even I'd say
Alison / ederson
Weddell
Walker
Gabriel
Stones
Rice
Bellingham
Foden
Vinicius
Saka
Kane

Something like that?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think this belongs here, because it's a bit of an anal **** question, but will this be the first time, maybe ever England play Brazil weere a composite side of the starting line-ups would be predominantly English.

I mean this was the last one

Jake Livermore, Ryan Bertrand and Eric Dier as captain, suffice to say we've come a long way. Interesting that that was Joe Gomez debut.

Full list for those sad enough to play along
Haha that lineup is incredible.

Scotland international on the bench as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I am a little unsure of how I feel about this. Merse is generally very good when speaking about addiction, and frequently says some genuinely insightful and moving stuff. And he's absolutely right that gambling addictions are not given the recognition they ought to be.

However, the idea that someone (anyone) who does something that fundamentally undermines the integrity of their profession, and/or brings it into disrepute, should be automatically be immune from sanction because they are an addict of some sort does not really sit right with me.

Addictions to anything, be it gambling or something else, are truly awful things. Anyone who has a genuine addiction to anything has my utmost sympathy, and they should absolutely be supported in overcoming their demons. But, at the same time, the extent to which addiction should provide a veil/shield to serious misconduct does not necessarily reach all that far imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha that lineup is incredible.

Scotland international on the bench as well.
I genuinely have no recollection of Angus Gunn being called up for England. :dontgetit

Or Jack Cork, if it comes to that. Was it a "bring your sons to work" day or something?!

Molehill

International Captain
I genuinely have no recollection of Angus Gunn being called up for England. :dontgetit

Or Jack Cork, if it comes to that. Was it a "bring your sons to work" day or something?!
Apparently, Gunn was called up late to the squad when Butland withdrew with an injury. It must've been desperate, he's managed only 31 Prem games in his career. He is basically a Championship keeper.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I am a little unsure of how I feel about this. Merse is generally very good when speaking about addiction, and frequently says some genuinely insightful and moving stuff. And he's absolutely right that gambling addictions are not given the recognition they ought to be.

However, the idea that someone (anyone) who does something that fundamentally undermines the integrity of their profession, and/or brings it into disrepute, should be automatically be immune from sanction because they are an addict of some sort does not really sit right with me.

Addictions to anything, be it gambling or something else, are truly awful things. Anyone who has a genuine addiction to anything has my utmost sympathy, and they should absolutely be supported in overcoming their demons. But, at the same time, the extent to which addiction should provide a veil/shield to serious misconduct does not necessarily reach all that far imo.
Agree with all of this, however they are unlucky because Merson is right. Gambling is endemic amongst players. Including on matches involving their own team.

so is cocaine use but that’s none of my business

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also worth noting that there hasn't, to my knowledge anyway, been anything confirming that either Tonali or Toney have been formally diagnosed as having addictions either. They may very well do, of course. But it's important to remember that it doesn't hold to reason that all people who gamble, even excessively, necessarily do so because they are addicted.

Socerer 01

International Captain
i thought Toney did have a diagnosis? Tonali doesnt have one iirc, if anything Fagioli sounded more addicted from his comments

Tom Flint

International Regular
I hope arsenal don't pay £100m for toney. He is a great player and would be a perfect fit for us but it's too be a risk if he has this addiction. I feel bad saying it as I agree with merse that it's an illness and he should receive help. But a player who could relapse at any point and be banned for over a year should not be worth £100m.

Socerer 01

International Captain
addiction or not Toney isnt worth 100m in any way lol

thats the type of money you spend on transformative players like Rice, Bellingham and Kane

Howe_zat

Audio File

If football execs want players not to place bets they could probably start by not having every square inch of stadium space crammed with bookies adverts.

Like, at least have the slightest veneer of a gesture of being anti-gambling in any way. Might not be too much to ask.

As it is they are happy to hoover up the money and then throw the book at the party of the target audience they can.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If football execs want players not to place bets they could probably start by not having every square inch of stadium space crammed with bookies adverts.

Like, at least have the slightest veneer of a gesture of being anti-gambling in any way. Might not be too much to ask.

As it is they are happy to hoover up the money and then throw the book at the party of the target audience they can.
Indeed. It's not exactly responsible for ex-pros to appear as patrons for gambling companies/in gambling ads etc. either imo.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I don't have a problem at all with clubs having gambling sponsors or ex players being on their adverts.
My issue is Talksport (Jim white) having phone -ins saying clubs shouldn't be sponsored by these companies while having constant gambling ads on their show throughout the day. Talksport have a live call with paddy or coral every hour of the day. Hypocrisy at its best.