• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does anyone have a link to the number of football league clubs by County? I've been following Colchester since they came back up from non-league in 1992 but in my life time, only Southend and Colchester (ignoring Wet Sham as a London club) have been in the football league. I notice Chelmsford and Braintree in the play-offs for the National League South this season. It seems a very small number of clubs for a team so close to the main urban area of the country. But then, by my reckoning, Surrey have none (as well as places like Rutland, Cornwall, Herefordshire maybe?).
Braintree came fairly close in 2016, losing in the play off semis.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone have a link to the number of football league clubs by County? I've been following Colchester since they came back up from non-league in 1992 but in my life time, only Southend and Colchester (ignoring Wet Sham as a London club) have been in the football league. I notice Chelmsford and Braintree in the play-offs for the National League South this season. It seems a very small number of clubs for a team so close to the main urban area of the country. But then, by my reckoning, Surrey have none (as well as places like Rutland, Cornwall, Herefordshire maybe?).
Sutton is in Surrey. It's also in Greater London, but the addresses are all 'Sutton, Surrey'.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently Coventry used to be in Warwickshire, but was changed to West Midlands about 50 years ago.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I’d be shocked if it wasn’t. They’ve reverted to playing like a non league outfit after a decent couple of seasons.
You know more than I do. All I know is their league position and that your boys beat them over the weekend. I wonder whether they'll relay the 3G pitch if and when they go down.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You know more than I do. All I know is their league position and that your boys beat them over the weekend. I wonder whether they'll relay the 3G pitch if and when they go down.
Was a pretty poor game on Saturday. If our season wasn’t already done, that win sealed it. Sutton came to spoil, which I get, but really they need wins.

I must say I much prefer clubs like them and Barrow to the money clubs like Fleetwood, Crawley, Salford and Forest Green that are wasting EFL places in recent years. But I suspect they’ll be back.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Sutton is in Surrey. It's also in Greater London, but the addresses are all 'Sutton, Surrey'.
Sutton might be in the historic country of Surrey, but has been a borough of Greater London for nigh on 60 years. So the Guardian is correct on that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it depends how one defines counties; I mean, I know Dagenham has been part of Greater London since the mid 60s, but in their hearts (and by postcode) I think a lot of its inhabitants think of themselves as being Essex boys and girls; which means Dagenham and Redbridge were arguably a third Essex FL club.

I guess one could also make a case for the Orient too, but Leyton feels more East London, IMHO.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it depends how one defines counties; I mean, I know Dagenham has been part of Greater London since the mid 60s, but in their hearts (and by postcode) I think a lot of its inhabitants think of themselves as being Essex boys and girls; which means Dagenham and Redbridge were arguably a third Essex FL club.

I guess one could also make a case for the Orient too, but Leyton feels more East London, IMHO.
Depends if you go by the old ceremonial counties or the current ones. Wet Sham would be an Essex club in old money as well. Dagenham would have been much closer to where I grew up than either Southend or Colchester by some distance. Other Essex clubs that have made it as high as National League South (Billericay or Hornchurch) would be even closer still - but Hornchurch and Dagenham are in London these days.

Molehill

International Captain
Hmmm. Found this on the Grauniad

" Ten English counties have no representatives in the Football League: City of London, Cornwall, County Durham, Herefordshire, Isle of Wight, Northumberland, Rutland, Surrey, Warwickshire and Worcestershire. "
Ronnie Radford of Hereford scored one of the most famous goals in FA Cup history, with an iconic Motson commentary the added bonus.

Isle of Wight is full of mainly Pompey fans (some Southampton).

The Warwickshire one is a bit daft - maybe they need to move Edgbaston to Leamington Spa???

Liverpool and Man Utd are in Surrey!!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I mean, Warwick Uni is actually in Coventry (although one can see why they'd maybe chose to not advertise this fact), so it does seem a trifle silly to say Warwickshire has no FL teams.

Molehill

International Captain
I mean, Warwick Uni is actually in Coventry (although one can see why they'd maybe chose to not advertise this fact), so it does seem a trifle silly to say Warwickshire has no FL teams.
Went and visited it during Covid when my eldest was looking at where to go to. Just a bizarre place (especially so during Covid), basically a Business Park on the outskirts of Cov, and all the students live a 20 min bus ride away in Leamington. I know it has a decent reputation, but somewhat confused as to why students would choose it.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Ronnie Radford of Hereford scored one of the most famous goals in FA Cup history, with an iconic Motson commentary the added bonus.

Isle of Wight is full of mainly Pompey fans (some Southampton).

The Warwickshire one is a bit daft - maybe they need to move Edgbaston to Leamington Spa???

Liverpool and Man Utd are in Surrey!!
Sadly Hereford United no longer exist, run into the ground by several incompetent owners. Their phoenix club Hereford FC is currently in the NL North.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went and visited it during Covid when my eldest was looking at where to go to. Just a bizarre place (especially so during Covid), basically a Business Park on the outskirts of Cov, and all the students live a 20 min bus ride away in Leamington. I know it has a decent reputation, but somewhat confused as to why students would choose it.
I studied at Warwick. I went as it had brand new labs for undergrad chemistry students. Had a whale of a time tbh and loved Coventry and the whole of the West Midlands. Sooooo many places to see live music.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Coventry, like Stoke, is one of those places I have just never been to. Strikes me as one of those towns that one would just never visit incidentally. Not necessarily knocking it or anything. I just can't imagine anyone, without having some specific reason to go/be there (e.g., uni or work), would ever say "Hey, I know! How about a day out to Coventry today?".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mind you. I say that as someone who lived in Woking for a year despite not working there or having any other reason for being there other than the fact it was a (sort of) convenient halfway point between Portsmouth and London.

Molehill

International Captain
I studied at Warwick. I went as it had brand new labs for undergrad chemistry students. Had a whale of a time tbh and loved Coventry and the whole of the West Midlands. Sooooo many places to see live music.
My best mate at Uni (and he'd end up being my Best Man) came from Coventry - it's fair to say he was already very knowledgeable in the club and music scene at the age of 18. Just seemed like that whole bus into Uni thing seemed like a hassle.

Mind you. I say that as someone who lived in Woking for a year despite not working there or having any other reason for being there other than the fact it was a (sort of) convenient halfway point between Portsmouth and London.
Well if it was good enough for Paul Weller.....I worked in Guildford for 3 years, often used to see him there doing some shopping.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My best mate at Uni (and he'd end up being my Best Man) came from Coventry - it's fair to say he was already very knowledgeable in the club and music scene at the age of 18. Just seemed like that whole bus into Uni thing seemed like a hassle.

Well if it was good enough for Paul Weller.....I worked in Guildford for 3 years, often used to see him there doing some shopping.
Haha Guildford is actually quite nice though. Woking is not without its charms, I guess, but it's ultimately a bit of a dump.