• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Ali TT

International Debutant
I think Chingford council were duped by the same guy who did the Ronaldo statue for Madeira airport.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't have a problem at all with clubs having gambling sponsors or ex players being on their adverts.
My issue is Talksport (Jim white) having phone -ins saying clubs shouldn't be sponsored by these companies while having constant gambling ads on their show throughout the day. Talksport have a live call with paddy or coral every hour of the day. Hypocrisy at its best.
they have their own betting site now, won't give a link, but yeah it's riddled with betting.

Mind you, oddly considering, I'd much rather betting adverts being back on tv, than the constant reminders of death, that sports progs ads are now and infirmity, particularly golf, erectile disfunction, tena for men and funeral plans, it's a rosy outlook out there.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Lot of people getting worked up over the new England kit.

Would like to see a venn diagram of the people offended by this and people who voted for Brexit tbh

Molehill

International Captain
Would like to see a venn diagram of the people offended by this and people who voted for Brexit tbh
Judged by one comment I saw on X last night (a reminder that Portsmouth still has some embarrassingly horrendous fans, but then who doesn't?), quite high. Although, he is apparently working hard to keep the Woke out of football!!

I'd have thought more people would be getting offended by the price. Seriously, who is spending £125 on a replica shirt? It's obscene.

Molehill

International Captain
I don't know if anyone else is aware of the Exploding Heads on X and the 'Colin from Portsmouth, love to the family' phone ins, but this line on the BBC could be him......

Taxi driver Joe in Stirling said he had "steam" coming out of his ears: "People died for that flag thousands of years ago".

😂

Socerer 01

International Captain
Good to see that Sunil Chhetri is still doing the rounds. I do like me a double h.
tbh its time for him to retire, he’s looked past it for a while now and it must be ****ing annoying for him to be part of a team that has to travel for 24 hours and then lose to Afghanistan with no disrespect intended to their side

but we dont have a replacement for him since most isl teams prefer to use a foreign slot for the striker role while having an Indian forward be the grafter on the wing or as support striker leaving us short of proper forwards like Chhetri

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I've been reading a couple of Jonathan Wilson's books lately. Ages ago, I read 'Inverting the pyramid' and 'The anatomy of England: a history in ten matches', both of them excellent. I came across 'The names heard long ago' whilst browsing in Waterstones and thought I'd give it a try. It's about how developments by Hungarian coaches (most of them Jewish) between the two world wars ended up having huge influences overseas when they ended up managing with huge success in Italy, Argentina and Uruguay, amongst other places. And that's before you consider the impact of their 1950's team on the thinking of Ajax and others by the late 1960's / early 1970s. It's not always an easy read, especially keeping track of loads of Hungarians in the 1920s who I'd never heard of. And given their Jewish ethnicity, events in the late 1930s and early 1940s were predictably grim. But I'm glad I read it.

This week, I've started reading 'Angels with dirty faces', which is the footballing history of Argentina, as recommended by @Furball a little while back. Part of that conversation was about a Chelsea tour in 1929, where I'd vaguely remembered a story I read decades ago about one of the Chelsea players walking up to shake hands with one of the Argentines and receiving a heft kick in the testacles for his troubles. I'd mistakenly remembered that as happening before a match, but actually it was after a game when Chelsea had beat the locals 3-2. Luis Monti was the testacle-kicker in question, and poor old George Rodger the unsuspecting victim. Apparently the English side's use of shoulder barges as a routine part of their game didn't go down too well. Or maybe Monti was just a sore loser. Who knows? Anyway, I'm just about to start the section on the 'anti-futbol' of the 1960s' which should be great fun.

Last edited:

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I've been reading a couple of Jonathan Wilson's books lately. Ages ago, I read 'Inverting the pyramid' and 'The anatomy of England: a history in ten matches', both of them excellent. I came across 'The names heard long ago' whilst browsing in Waterstones and thought I'd give it a try. It's about how developments by Hungarian coaches (most of them Jewish) between the two world wars ended up having huge influences overseas when they ended up managing with huge success in Italy, Argentina and Uruguay, amongst other places. And that's before you consider the impact of their 1950's team on the thinking of Ajax and others by the late 1960's / early 1970s. It's not always an easy read, especially keeping track of loads of Hungarians in the 1920s who I'd never heard of. And given their Jewish ethnicity, events in the late 1930s and early 1940s were predictably grim. But I'm glad I read it.

This week, I've started reading 'Angels with dirty faces', which is the footballing history of Argentina, as recommended by @Furball a little while back. Part of that conversation was about a Chelsea tour in 1929, where I'd vaguely remembered a story I read decades ago about one of the Chelsea players walking up to shake hands with one of the Argetines and receiving a heft kick in the testacles for his troubles. I'd mistakenly remembered that as happening before a match, but actually it was after a game when Chelsea had beat the locals 3-2. Luis Monti was the testacle-kicker in question, and poor old George Rodger the unsuspecting victim. Apparently the English side's use of shoulder barges as a routine part of their game didn't go down too well. Or maybe Monti was just a sore loser. Who knows? Anyway, I'm just about to start the section on the 'anti-futbol' of the 1960s' which should be great fun.
Any reports on how well he lived up to his surname after this event?