• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
I guess the junior comps are an easier way to "spread the game" than wrecking the premier senior tournament with too many walkover matches.
Yeah consider that u-17s future pros from established nations are probably playing regularly in reserves or loaned out to lower league teams, whereas from ameteur nations this is probably the only games they get

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I guess the junior comps are an easier way to "spread the game" than wrecking the premier senior tournament with too many walkover matches.
That ship sailed when they started giving ridiculous numbers of places to Asia and Africa.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apropos of the above, I just saw a report that Alex Song has finally retired.

This means just one ex-Gooner who played at Highbury is still an active pro now.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address, trainspotters.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Apropos of the above, I just saw a report that Alex Song has finally retired.

This means just one ex-Gooner who played at Highbury is still an active pro now.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address, trainspotters.
Haha I saw the article about this also.

To say he "played" at Highbury is almost a almost little generous to the lad, though. I mean he did play there, but I think for an aggregated total of approx 90 minutes across 2 matches.

Edit: Ah actually he made some Champions League appearances as well as League Cup appearances tbf to him. Which takes his aggregate total up to approx 110 minutes haha.

Edit again: Actually I am wrong. He played 84 mins against Grimsby in the League Cup, 14 minutes against Schalke, and 6 minutes against Leverkusen, both in the Champions League. His other League Cup appearance was away to Blackburn.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Another interesting fact that was brought to my attention today is that only two of the current Arsenal squad played under Wenger. Reiss Nelson and Elneny (the latter of whom is bizarrely is now closing in on a decade at the club, which seems pretty mad).

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another interesting fact that was brought to my attention today is that only two of the current Arsenal squad played under Wenger. Reiss Nelson and Elneny (the latter of whom is bizarrely is now closing in on a decade at the club, which seems pretty mad).
All managers seem to love Mo. Probably seen as a decent squad rotation piece who's good to have around the dressing room.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Actually just realised this is wrong as well. Nketiah scores his first goal for Arsenal after coming on as a sub in a Wenger game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal.com continuing the banter with their features on the anniversary of the Invincibles season/team with an article on Pascal Cygan.

The opening line describes him as "AN ULTRA-RELIABLE AND CONSISTENT DEFENDER"

Like... what....

This is literally the complete opposite of what he was ffs. I don't see how even the most stalwart defenders of the bloke could say this with a straight face. He was utter arse.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Arsenal.com continuing the banter with their features on the anniversary of the Invincibles season/team with an article on Pascal Cygan.

Like... what....

This is literally the complete opposite of what he was ffs. I don't see how even the most stalwart defenders of the bloke could say this with a straight face. He was utter arse.

Quite so. Even had his own chant celebrating (if that's the right word) his crapness:

He's bald, he's shit
He plays when no-one's fit
Pascal Cygan, Pascal Cygan

duffer

Like... what....

He was crap but we've had worse

HeathDavisSpeed

I found this article about Frank Soo - the first Asian footballer to play for England - to be pretty interesting. Tbf, before reading the article I can't say I'd ever heard of him.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Disagree cygam was terrible, he wasn't great but have seen much worse back up cbs.
Quite well liked amongst arsenal and still hear his name sung in the pubs and at away games now and then