• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it would be a yellow today, but IIRC there were quite a few reds for that type of thing at France 98. It was something they were trying to stamp out.

Molehill

International Captain
I think it would be a yellow today, but IIRC there were quite a few reds for that type of thing at France 98. It was something they were trying to stamp out.
Yes, the petulant flick of a toe as opposed to the smashing through the back of someone's legs at full speed.

Thankfully, they've got their priorities right these days (as someone who has suffered 30 years of knee cartilage issues from the latter).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Martin Ødegaard dislikes this post.
They need to borrow the rugby framework where they break down the level of danger and mitigation. I thought it was much worse than the Jones one last week - he’s from directly behind, there’s a bit more force, and it’s less incidental because he connects at a dangerous angle without treading on the ball first. We don’t hear what they say but it’s clear from how little footage they show to the referee that they’re not thinking about this stuff at all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They need to borrow the rugby framework where they break down the level of danger and mitigation. I thought it was much worse than the Jones one last week - he’s from directly behind, there’s a bit more force, and it’s less incidental because he connects at a dangerous angle without treading on the ball first. We don’t hear what they say but it’s clear from how little footage they show to the referee that they’re not thinking about this stuff at all.
If Kovacic had been front on and smashed into his shin it would have been a red IMO.

What baffles me is that tackles from behind like that were the first 'game's gone soft, can't even tackle anymore' rule change. That sort of challenge has been a red for what, 25 years?

Like you say, at least with Jones' tackle (which was still a red) there's a degree of sympathy because he's going for the ball and gets it wrong. I'm not having the argument that Kovacic was going for the ball, there was no chance he was getting it from that angle.

Speaking of things football should steal from rugby, taking head injuries more seriously is somewhere football is miles behind, but that's a different soapbox.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Worked out well for arsenal, we won still and kovacic isn't banned for 3 games which will do us a favour as he is useless

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oceania occasionally throws up these random occurrences, was it Tahiti or something who qualified for the Confederations Cup 10 years ago?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I remember the thrashing American Samoa once got. 31-0.

Wonder if they are still going.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't want to be too eurocentric about it, but two teams for Oceania seems a bit of an over-representation given they don't warrant a full spot of their own in the grown-up WC, which has (or had) 32 nations competing as opposed to the 24 in the U17 version.

One notes Albion dicked New Caledonia 10-0 from a mere 39 chances too.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I don't want to be too eurocentric about it, but two teams for Oceania seems a bit of an over-representation given they don't warrant a full spot of their own in the grown-up WC, which has (or had) 32 nations competing as opposed to the 24 in the U17 version.

One notes Albion dicked New Caledonia 10-0 from a mere 39 chances too.
I guess the junior comps are an easier way to "spread the game" than wrecking the premier senior tournament with too many walkover matches.