• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have fond memories of Cygan. He was an early prototype of a particular type of Arsenal player in the 2000s whose job was to fill opposing fans with hope. Henry or Van Persie would belt in a screamer and you'd start to worry that they'd win something. Then the camera would cut to Almunia celebrating with Eboue, or Bendtner getting ready to come off the bench, and you were suddenly filled with an overwhelming sense of calm, you just knew in your heart that everything would be OK.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Looks like sin bins might get introduced. Been in favour of this for a while.
Is every yellow card going to result in a sin bin, or will it be for offences that are 'orange'? Just don't know how it might work. Otherwise you are going to have a lot of teams down to a few players at different times. Not quite sure about this for football.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is every yellow card going to result in a sin bin, or will it be for offences that are 'orange'? Just don't know how it might work. Otherwise you are going to have a lot of teams down to a few players at different times. Not quite sure about this for football.
I thought I saw it was mainly for dissent

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah just for dissent it looks like. Good change IMO.

They brought it in for cynical fouls in Gaelic football and it was a definite improvement. That’d be a good change for soccer too, adding a sin bin to any situation where a player takes a yellow for the team.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If they're importing stuff from rugby I'd more like to see only the captain talks to the ref rule.

Makes captaincy more meaningful as well
This is quite common practice for refs at grass roots level these days I think. Definitely a good approach I'd say.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If they're importing stuff from rugby I'd more like to see only the captain talks to the ref rule.

They are definitely considering the captaincy thing.

In the 01-02 season they trialled the 10 yard rule for dissent, I think that's from League not Union. Anyway I liked it, probably because of a Jason Koumas free-kick that was scored after being brought forwards. Not sure why they didn't take it any further.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Football should introduce the reverse sin-bin rule. Everyone starts in the bin until they can demonstrate they're not a whiney ****

Howe_zat

Audio File
They are definitely considering the captaincy thing.

In the 01-02 season they trialled the 10 yard rule for dissent, I think that's from League not Union. Anyway I liked it, probably because of a Jason Koumas free-kick that was scored after being brought forwards. Not sure why they didn't take it any further.
it's in both ftr

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think one of the major arguments against it is that the distances between players in positions and the referee can be quite large (what if your GK is your captain, for instance?) and it could waste a lot of time and put miles on the legs of players.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Wouldn't work in football the way it does in rugby. The referee should be in the rough vicinity of the captain a lot more in rugby because of the structure of the sport compared to football.

I'm fully in favour of sin bins for yellow cards, as long as they stop showing yellow cards for celebrating goals and slightly mistiming a tackle.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They brought it in for cynical fouls in Gaelic football and it was a definite improvement. That’d be a good change for soccer too, adding a sin bin to any situation where a player takes a yellow for the team.
100%, the fact players will happily take a yellow for a cynical shirt pull or trip to stop a counter attack at source tells you the sanction isn't a deterrent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
100%, the fact players will happily take a yellow for a cynical shirt pull or trip to stop a counter attack at source tells you the sanction isn't a deterrent.
Indeed. After a defeat to us one Friday night, Mansfield manager Nigel Clough said in his post-match interview that he was pissed off that they didn’t get any yellow cards.

Ali TT

International Debutant
WTAF is the "Swiss format" for next year's Champions League? Presumably it will be promoted as a way of increasing excitement and widening participation but is really about profit maximisation.