• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha when Stokes got the 6 off the bat my brother asked why that rule hadn’t been changed and I gave the same answer. Such a long history of waiting until the most embarrassing possible moment to fix obvious flaws in the rules.
The team benefiting from it winning the World Cup has guaranteed that they can’t fix it without (a) looking like absolute idiots, and (b) spoiling the premier world tournament for fans on all sides.

Jezroy

State Captain
I mean we all know what happened. England were awarded the World Cup after a tied game where New Zealand had multiple chances to finish them off and couldn’t.

Complaining about the rules as to why England won, is as good as the Pakistan supporters who complained that semi finals should have been decided by head to head and not net run rate.

It hurts. It stings. But man I’m proud of what that team achieved in spite of their weaknesses and that terrible run in where they lost 3 games. Such a gut wrenching performance.

Yes I feel ripped off as a New Zealand fan, but rules are rules. They suck sometimes.

And you can probably blame Trent Boult as much as the rules. To see him step on the rope taking that catch was so unusual, as he’s consistently shown great judgement in that kind of situation before. But pressure.

It was just the best damn game of ODI cricket ever.

Cricket, you terrible mistress. You’ve really gone and hurt me this time. But I still love you.

hazsa19

International Regular
Amazing, never seen some of the stuff that went on at the end in 20 previous years of watching cricket.

The deciding factor definitely feels arbitrarily picked, but so is any other way of deciding in these circumstances. Lots of people would say NZ only made the semis due to an arbitrary stat.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, that's the point. None of them are particularly more valid.

Should just have been another super over. It's the equivalent of sudden death penalties so why not?
I Was thinking this before the tournament. Just give them another 6 balls and another 2 wickets and keep going until someone wins.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I mean we all know what happened. England were awarded the World Cup after a tied game where New Zealand had multiple chances to finish them off and couldn’t.

Complaining about the rules as to why England won, is as good as the Pakistan supporters who complained that semi finals should have been decided by head to head and not net run rate.

It hurts. It stings. But man I’m proud of what that team achieved in spite of their weaknesses and that terrible run in where they lost 3 games. Such a gut wrenching performance.

Yes I feel ripped off as a New Zealand fan, but rules are rules. They suck sometimes.

And you can probably blame Trent Boult as much as the rules. To see him step on the rope taking that catch was so unusual, as he’s consistently shown great judgement in that kind of situation before. But pressure.

It was just the best damn game of ODI cricket ever.

Cricket, you terrible mistress. You’ve really gone and hurt me this time. But I still love you.
Good post this. Rightly identifies that NZ just simply couldn't get it done. No shame in that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I Was thinking this before the tournament. Just give them another 6 balls and another 2 wickets and keep going until someone wins.
Eventually the mafia would decide they'd broken some sort of zoning rules, but yeah playing until then at least could work.

Forcing them to use a different bowler and different batsmen could be cool too.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Personally, I thought Kane should have batted in the super over. I mean what has Guptill done this tournament, aside from one good run out?

That said, I think Boult would be the one feeling most depressed right now.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the guy in the white blazer immortalising himself in history by getting completely in the way of the trophy lift.

cnerd123

likes this
The Laws of Cricket and ICC WC Playing Conditions were circulated to all teams before the WC. England won fair and square.

It's fair enough to complain if you feel the Laws or PCs need changing/improvement, but when it comes right after you've lost a WC final due to said Law/PC, it's naturally going to come off as sour grapes. Like all the Pakistani fans moaning about NRR earlier this tournament.

Absolutely no doubt that NZ were unlucky this WC. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Ridiculously heartbreaking and I feel for all the fans for suffering through that. But no need to rain on England's moment.

What a great moment in history tbh. England are finally a good ODI side and have the WC to show for it. Winning the greatest game of ODI cricket ever at Lords, on FTA, in a WC final. What a moment. Incredible.