• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite sport? (Cricket excluded)

Favourite sport?

• Football (Soccer)

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Rugby League

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Golf

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Snooker

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Aussies Rules

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Hockey

• Ice Hockey

• Tennis

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Badminton

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Boxing

• Volleyball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beach Volleyball

• Athletics

• Wrestling

• Swimming

• Darts

• Baseball

• American Football

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Basketball

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Netball

• Handball

• Cycling

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Gaelic Football

• Some other sport that I have stupidly omitted

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Football: Brilliant game, prefer this to cricket.
Rugby union: Mostly boring, jumped on the bandwagon during the last World Cup though.
Rugby league: As above, without a decent World Cup.
Golf: Majors and Ryder Cup are excellent, other than that, no.
Snooker: Whenever I watch this I like it, but then never get round to watching it again for another year or two.
Aussie rules: Know nothing about this.
Field hockey: As above.
Ice hockey: When I was in the US on holiday I got into this a bit, then got bored again upon return.
Tennis: Apart from Wimbledon, this doesn't exist to me.
Badminton: No idea.
Boxing: Boring.
Volleyball: No idea about this.
Beach volleyball: As above.
Athletics: As for several above, I know nothing about it, but it is brilliant to watch.
Wrestling: No interest.
Swimming: No interest.
Darts: Have grown to like this recently.
Baseball: No idea.
American Football: Know very little about this, no interest whatsoever.
Netball: No idea.
Handball: As above.
Cycling: As above.
Gaelic football: As above.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah Kabaddi is a classic, used to be played at my school during the charity week to make money, it got banned when I was in about year eight though due to the exorbitant number of broken bones.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'd say now, I prefer Rugby Union to cricket, which is in second place, and then Badminton, then Soccer..

I don't really follow other sports any more.. I'd like to get back into Baseball but there is no coverage where I live..

Massive fan of Poker, and getting better by the week.. But whether or not it is a sport is up for debate :laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, and my favourite sport (which most of you won't consider a sport) is harness racing. I'm lucky enough to have a job in the industry.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, that reminds me of a discussion I heard on the radio last week re: Bart Cummings. He (rightly or wrongly) won Australian Sportsman of the year in '75 I think, and one of the blokes hosting this radio show mentioned him being a candidate for this years award because of the Melbourne cup etc.

Basically, that caused a debate all afternoon between callers, and hosts (2 of the hosts were for, the other against) about whether Bart Cummings could/should be considered a sportsman or not. Thoughts?

I'd be more inclined to say no due to the fact that he's only training the horses, and not actually riding & winning the races. That said, he's most definitely an influential figure in the sport of Horse Racing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually, that reminds me of a discussion I heard on the radio last week re: Bart Cummings. He (rightly or wrongly) won Australian Sportsman of the year in '75 I think, and one of the blokes hosting this radio show mentioned him being a candidate for this years award because of the Melbourne cup etc.

Basically, that caused a debate all afternoon between callers, and hosts (2 of the hosts were for, the other against) about whether Bart Cummings could/should be considered a sportsman or not. Thoughts?

I'd be more inclined to say no due to the fact that he's only training the horses, and not actually riding & winning the races. That said, he's most definitely an influential figure in the sport of Horse Racing.
Pleased you gave us a clue as to who he is & what he does... :ph34r:

Racehorse trainers aren't sportsmen for me, the clue's in the job description.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if I had to place a trainer in any category, it'd be "coach". Jockeys/drivers are the "sportsmen" as such - in fact, Dexter Dunn, NZ's leading driver last season (at just age 19) won the Canterbury Junior Sportsman award a month or two back.

And Boybrumby, from what I understand harness racing is pretty terrible in England - know much more about it? I see it seems to be more popular in Wales if anything.

The major areas for the sport are NZ, Australia, Canada, US, France, Sweden, Holland, Germany and a little bit in Italy, I hear.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, if I had to place a trainer in any category, it'd be "coach". Jockeys/drivers are the "sportsmen" as such - in fact, Dexter Dunn, NZ's leading driver last season (at just age 19) won the Canterbury Junior Sportsman award a month or two back.

And Boybrumby, from what I understand harness racing is pretty terrible in England - know much more about it? I see it seems to be more popular in Wales if anything.

The major areas for the sport are NZ, Australia, Canada, US, France, Sweden, Holland, Germany and a little bit in Italy, I hear.
Almost literally nothing. Gets no coverage in the mainstream sporting media, but I have seen it on closed curcuit tv shown in bookies. Although, to be fair, it could've been from anywhere.