• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite sport? (Cricket excluded)

Favourite sport?

• Football (Soccer)

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Rugby League

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Golf

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Snooker

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Aussies Rules

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Hockey

• Ice Hockey

• Tennis

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Badminton

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Boxing

• Volleyball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beach Volleyball

• Athletics

• Wrestling

• Swimming

• Darts

• Baseball

• American Football

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Basketball

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Netball

• Handball

• Cycling

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Gaelic Football

• Some other sport that I have stupidly omitted

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Football: I used to live and breathe football. Interest levels have wained as the way the game is played has changed. Find it difficult to sit and watch a game on my own anymore. Must be with friends getting pissed to really enjoy
Rugby union: No real interest. Apart from the 'class traitor' aspect, I hate the endless kicking and the thousands of infingements that the ref arbitarily decides to call or not call
Rugby league: Great sport. Quick and athletic. Good to watch, better to play.
Golf: Cant beat the Majors or the Ryder Cup. After that a huge drop in my interest levels
Snooker: Loved it in the 80s
Aussie rules: Used to watch it as a small boy in the 80s. Have no real interest now but it is one of those sports I think if I was brought up around I would love.
Field hockey: Know nothing and have no interest
Ice hockey: Know nothing and have no interest
Tennis: Will watch the Slams
Badminton:!
Boxing: Love the sport. Love training, fighting, watching on TV, watching live at the arena, reading about it. Top sport
Volleyball: Know nothing and have no interest
Beach volleyball: !
Athletics: As with GIMH, have lost touch recently. Still great to watch though
Wrestling: !
Swimming: No interest
Darts: Loved it in the 80s
Baseball: Best US sport to watch live, but I dont follow too closely
American Football: Adore it with a passion. The worst game to watch live at the stadium but Sat used be sit in front of the TV and watch College football all day and Sun NFL. The 1 sport I didnt play that I wish I had.
Netball: Know nothing and have no interest
Handball: Know nothing and have no interest
Cycling: No Interest
Gaelic football: Know nothing

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
Because a home run is scoring a run from your bat, not hitting it out the park. There's something called an "inside the park home run". They're quite rare, but it's where you hit it, don't hit it over the wall, but get to home. It normally needs a fielding ****-up but they're cool anyway.
Technically it's not a home run if a fielder makes an error.

Craig

World Traveller
Football (Soccer) - Love it. Up until the 2002 WOrld Cup I didn't really have much interest and I started to watch more of it and I started to like it and now I very much like it. Of course I knew who the likes of Beckham, Raul, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Owen, Sheringham, Yorke, Zidane, Kewell, Viduka, Schmeichal etc. were.
Rugby Union Brought up with it I guess, have played it but had no talent for it whattsoever, however now I mainly just watch the internationals.
Rugby League Love it.
Golf Have played it before and found it a lot harder then what it is (or maybe I'm crap?)
Snooker Never got into it as such. Good pub game
Aussies Rules Have a vague-beginner understanding of it. Enough to have a conversation on it
Hockey Never really knew anything about, have played a few times and have somehow coached it as well (like under 8s)
Ice Hockey If I were born in Canada then probably yes
Tennis Take a casual interest.
Badminton Have played in school, sometimes frustrating :laugh:
Boxing Nothing like watching a good fight.
Volleyball Not into it.
Beach Volleyball Not into it unless it is the Brazilian woman's team :naughty: (let's face it Cameron was probably going to do it)
Athletics Like it.
Wrestling Not into it. Maybe if I were from Lativa then perhaps
Swimming Not a big fan
Darts Pub game
Baseball Not a big fan
American Football Have some interest and understanding. Used to watch it heaps. For some reason I used to like the Denver Broncos and did a school report on them and got a B for it, so it worked.
Basketball Used to play when I was a kid. Michael Jordan was my hero when I was growing up.
Netball Chicks game
Handball Not part of the sporting culture here. Perhaps if I were from Germany or somewhere in Europe
Cycling We all know this answer
Gaelic Football Never watched it

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i picked football(soccer) but it would be only just infront of rugby league and motor sport (v8 Super cars)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Football (Soccer) - Love it, but dislike the bad side of the game and don't respect some of the players and fans as much as I do cricket.. My favourite and home side are Plymouth Argyle FC, my dad unfortunatly has gone to support Scumchester FC with his partner, so I'm pretty annoyed at that
Rugby Union Hard to avoid it when I'm in SA.. I love the atmosphere, love the rugby scene.. Used to play it a bit but am not the right build and just stick to supporting the boks and following the curry cup
Rugby League This is the sports forum.. Discuss league in OT
Golf Never played it, but we have some nice courses nearby.. Follow Ernie Els and the Goose, but am not particularly interested in it
Snooker Not a fan really, too hard and I prefer pool
Aussies Rules Shame it isn't part of the culture anywhere else but Australia.. I've enjoyed watching it on tele and might become a bit of a fan next season
Hockey Wish it was more popular than it is.. Enjoyed playing it, but never much cop
Ice Hockey Not interested
Tennis Find it pretty boring at the best of times.
Badminton Possibly my favourite sport, play it regularly and captained my college in the local league.. Love badminton
Boxing Like watching a good fight
Volleyball Not into it.
Beach Volleyball Not interested
Athletics Watch it if theres nothing else on tele
Wrestling Enjoy WWE, although I wouldn't call that a sport :laugh:
Swimming Not a big fan, but we've got some pretty good swimmers in Ryk Neethling and Nathalie du Toit.. Enjoy swimming when I have the chance
Darts Pub game
Baseball Love baseball, enjoy watching it on TV when I'm up late.. Just wish the scene were more global
American Football Never enjoyed it, seems to complex and with too many pauses
Basketball Not a fan
Netball Prefer it to basketball, Girlfriend plays for Somerset and I watch occasionaly
Handball Never got into it, but I would be keen to follow it if it was about more
Cycling Not keen, although you can't ignore Lance Armstrongs feats as a human being
Gaelic Football Love watching it when it's on TV

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Given that I've been a sports journalist for years, I have basic knowledge about a lot of sports and follow some very closely. Here's my take.

Football: A great game overall, but the huge money in it spoils the show quite too often and leaded me to burnout. I'd rather watch two exotic teams (say Ghana vs. Kenya or Oman vs. Bahrain) for the love of the game than the too-hyped Champions League, major leagues or even domestic league.
Rugby union: Good game, follow closely the major games - Six Nations, Tri Nations, World Cup, Team Romania.
Rugby league: Never seen a full game actually, but it seems to me a bad cross-breed between rugby and gridiron.
Golf: Like watching, lots of skill, and it's nuts when you support a player. Would like to be able to play.
Snooker: Used to be a favourite, still following it sort of close.
Aussie rules: Rules? Are there any?
Field hockey: Would be great with a larger shot area.
Ice hockey: Go Team Canada! Not a cracker but I follow the majors (World Championship and Olympic Games).
Tennis: The Federer-Nadal feud is worth their weight in gold.
Badminton: Very skilled game, a pity it's not most known.
Boxing: A good fight is.... er.... good.
Volleyball: Interesting.
Beach volleyball: The field is too large for only 2 players by team.
Athletics: Majors only.
Wrestling: Was better in the 90s.
Swimming: Mild interest.
Darts: The last World Championship final - what a thriller!
Baseball: Didn't catch me, but it makes a good watch sometimes - the Red Sox smashing 4 consecutive home-runs at the Yankees :)
American Football: My favourite along with cricket. Madly tactical, warlike, tough, action-full. No surprise US have the better military packs (or used to).
Basketball: Jordan was God, but I've much lost interest, didn't bother to watch a single game of the NBA playoffs. Major tournaments still get me.
Netball: A bit silly, if you ask me.
Handball: Nice game, very physical, Romania is good at it - so I'm interested. The air goals are tremendous.
Cycling: Very good, armchair tourism and we have a nice commentary team. I follow.
Gaelic football: Crazy! Needs to go international - won't be a big trouble to put posts on football goals every now and then. Hurling is even more crazy!

And yes, motorsports are sports in their right, some of the most dangerous on earth also.

magpie_man

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rugby league, snowboarding/skiing and surfing are the best sports in the universe, bar none.
Squash, 500, table tennis and cricket come next.
Aussie Rules, Soccer and American Football are all good too, although nothing can get me going like rugby league.

readie

State Regular
Football (Soccer) Like playing , and managing in games, don't get into watching unless everton r playing

Rugby Union - play a bit don't enjoy 2 watch

Rugby League - love league equal with cricket depends whether its summer whether i prefer league or cricket

Golf -love playing as boring as bat**** 2 watch - got banned from local club tho for hittin golf balls at some ponces with pink pants and yellin fore neway good times

Aussies Rules - never really played much being in NSW but love watching

Darts - greatest ever drinkin sport lol

Basketball - shoot some hoops with the ball

Gaelic Football - play it for pe at skool mad fun

and u forgot motorsport - some of the best weekend of my life have been in bathurst for the 1000, massive hangover mondays tho

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm a big fan of Kabbadi, but they don't show it in NZ. When I lived in England, they showed it on Channel 4 on Sunday mornings. Great game!!

R_D

International Debutant
I'm a big fan of Kabbadi, but they don't show it in NZ. When I lived in England, they showed it on Channel 4 on Sunday mornings. Great game!!
Hehehe yeah its pretty cool to watch.
Didn't realise it was that fun to watch until i saw it for the first time this year at sikh games, it was fun. I've played kabbadi heaps when i was india.

DCC_legend

International Regular
The Wierdest sport ever ITBT, Thought Gaelic Football was hard enough till i tried it. Only while on holiday mind, can't play it at school and where i live, it wouldn't really be appreciated.