• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Ashes Memory

ripper868

International Coach
Nah, the point I was making was about the wounded great side - of Australia's first-choice eleven for the start of the 2005 Ashes (Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Clarke, Katich, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Gillespie, McGrath), nine played the opener in 2006/07. England were pretty poor in 2006/07 and they're pretty poor now, but of what might have been said to be the first-choice thirteen (two places were impossible to call) in that season (Strauss, Cook, Bell, Collingwood, Pietersen, Flintoff, Jones\Read, Giles, Hoggard, Harmison, Anderson\Mahmood) only six remain at the start of 2009.

Australia's outstanding side was hurt deeply by the 2005 defeat, and that in my view inspired them to play as well as they did in 2006/07. England, however hurt they were by the 2006/07 drubbing, simply do not have anywhere near that level of talent so aren't going to be able to respond similarly.
Yeah fair play, i can understand what you're saying, the beware the wounded Lion thing, but i still think that 06/7would have been 5-0 regardless. TBH The Australian team doesn't really need an extra motivation to beat england well, it's a national past time, and probably one of the best international sporting rivalries, across several sports, going.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty much what I was hinting at TBH. England aren't short of bottle, but what they do lack they make-up for by needing to hit the bottle regularly after their capitulations.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah fair play, i can understand what you're saying, the beware the wounded Lion thing, but i still think that 06/7would have been 5-0 regardless. TBH The Australian team doesn't really need an extra motivation to beat england well, it's a national past time, and probably one of the best international sporting rivalries, across several sports, going.
Totally agree. The oddest thing about the whitewash was that it hadn't happened at any other time since the early 1920's.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could so easily have done in 1998/99 or 2001 though. Just an accident waiting to happen. A last-afternoon thunderstorm in Brisbane, a ridiculously damp Lord's, a traditional Australian collapse in the face of a small total, one remarkable spell from Dean Headley (including another similar collapse) and an even more remarkable innings from Mark Butcher minus and we'd have lost 18 in a row between Edgbaston 1997 and SCG 2002/03. Just think of that.

Finally, in 2006/07, no circumstances conspired in England's favour and no brilliant last-ditch individual performance pulled a game from the fire. Mind, it's safe to say England's Adelaide defeat in 2006/07 was probably even less likely than any of their victories at The Oval 1997, MCG 1998/99 or Headingley 2001.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Could so easily have done in 1998/99 or 2001 though. Just an accident waiting to happen. A last-afternoon thunderstorm in Brisbane, a ridiculously damp Lord's, a traditional Australian collapse in the face of a small total, one remarkable spell from Dean Headley (including another similar collapse) and an even more remarkable innings from Mark Butcher minus and we'd have lost 18 in a row between Edgbaston 1997 and SCG 2002/03. Just think of that.

Finally, in 2006/07, no circumstances conspired in England's favour and no brilliant last-ditch individual performance pulled a game from the fire. Mind, it's safe to say England's Adelaide defeat in 2006/07 was probably even less likely than any of their victories at The Oval 1997, MCG 1998/99 or Headingley 2001.
To which you can add one tense draw and L&T missing most of the final test in 1974/75.
And how on earth did England avoid whitewashes in 1948 anmd the subsequent series over there?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
In 1948, England drew the 3rd test due to a combination of rain and a brillant innings from Compton who had earlier been hit on the head by either Lindwall or Miller

1950-51, Not to sure about the test that England won but needless to say it was closer than a scoreline of 4-1 (The 1st Ashes test England had won for over 12 years) would suggest.

Langeveldt

Soutie
* Kerry O'Keefe's commentary, think it was in Adelaide in 2007.. Wondering why England players were all given nicknames with a "Y" after their names, and what would happen if the Aussies had nicknames like that. Pontingy Lehmanny, sent Agnew into hysterics like during Botham's leg over incident.. Was very funny at 4 in the morning..

Pigeon

Banned
* Kerry O'Keefe's commentary, think it was in Adelaide in 2007.. Wondering why England players were all given nicknames with a "Y" after their names, and what would happen if the Aussies had nicknames like that. Pontingy Lehmanny, sent Agnew into hysterics like during Botham's leg over incident.. Was very funny at 4 in the morning..
I hate affixing this O to the end of Aussie players though, Watto, Marto, Haydo(s),

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate affixing this O to the end of Aussie players though, Watto, Marto, Haydo(s),
Aussie cricketers fail badly at nicknames.

Marsh = Swampy
Boon = Boonie
Allan Border = AB
Taylor = Tails (or Tubby)
Gillespie = Dizzy
Martyn = Marto
Slater = Slats
Every single one of the Sincocks who've played for Aus state sides = evil dick

:yucky:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie cricketers fail badly at nicknames.

Marsh = Swampy
Boon = Boonie
Allan Border = AB
Taylor = Tails (or Tubby)
Gillespie = Dizzy
Martyn = Marto
Slater = Slats
Every single one of the Sincocks who've played for Aus state sides = evil dick

:yucky:

better than
Straussy, Cooky, Ravi, Belly, Colly, Broady, Freddie, Swanny, Jimmy,

2 players in the XI who's nicknames don't end in i, ie or y