• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2020 General Discussion

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think in 2010 they didn't really have any good young alternatives. 2014 was the one where Sterling and Sturridge were on fire going in and Hodgson hamstrung the attack by shoehorning Rooney in.

It's an underrated failure in general. The only tournament I can remember where England went in with expectations that were too low.
Yeah this is probably true tbf. But even with this being the case, the "old guard" were even more dire than they ought to have been. It was also a surefire sign that most of that squad should have been sacked and never selected again, and yet most of them were, many times.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't wait for the Portugal, Germany and France group.

But it also reminds me of how the Euros just used to be much better.
If we top our group we play the runners-up from that Group of Death™, don't we?

Really wouldn't fancy Portugal or Germany in the second round. Has a "loss on pens" written all over it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If we top our group we play the runners-up from that Group of Death™, don't we?

Really wouldn't fancy Portugal or Germany in the second round. Has a "loss on pens" written all over it.
Does that mean that we're better off finishing 2nd in our group?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We had a favourable draw in the last World Cup and had started to build a good young side. But I don't think there's been much progression since. Still a lot of good young players, but not a team of established internationals and I can already hear the chant of "dodgy keeper" when we play Scotland (depending on the number of Scotland fans who get in). I don't think we start as favourites in a knock out match against any of the major nations. I'm still more optimistic than when the "golden generation" were around and optimism under Roy was pretty much zero.

Still think we need a sub-forum.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah I just mean the attacking midfield position that De Bruyne and Silva played together for City. Pretty sure it's what DCYE was suggesting England are well equipped for. But Southgate pretty obviously doesn't have the stones.
Yeah Southgate doesn't have the balls for it, for sure. Also doesn't have the nous to coach it, I'd imagine.

I'd probably set it up like this:
lineup.png

You can have Shaw sit and put TAA on the right and probably have more talent but Walker is much more used to playing this way and is quite good at almost playing as an extra CB. I admittedly don't watch a tonne of Liverpool so I'm not really sure how well TAA would hold up basically playing as an extra central midfielder but he's very talented so I'm sure he could do it. I actually really rate Rice and think he can definitely play this formation. It asks so much from the DM but I think he's up to it. Would be quite happy if City signed him tbh.

The two main concern spots for me are Grealish (I think he and Foden are very similar in that they are much better at wide left positions) but I think he's too talented to not fit in. If you don't you could swap him for Henderson and push Mount up but I think you lose a lot with that. The other is obviously GK, because whoever you play there is definitely not up to the task of playing this way.

EDIT: I forgot about Bellingham, who you could probably play in either the Rice or Mount position and not lose much. There's also Rashford (and Sterling) who could play wide on either side. Overall, I think the squad is quite versatile if you play this way apart from GK.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with all of that except the part about Trent being able to play midfield. It's a very difficult transition because full backs always get a full view of the pitch, and don't develop the crucial habit of continually looking over their shoulder to create a mental map. Receiving the ball is very different in both positions too, and a hell of a lot easier at FB.

I think he could do it long-term but he'd need a pre-season with active coaching. Just dropping him in there for the Euros would be a bad idea.

That team would be must-watch. Seeing it written out makes me kind of sad that it won't happen.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Southgate doesn't have the balls for it, for sure. Also doesn't have the nous to coach it, I'd imagine.

I'd probably set it up like this:
View attachment 28137

You can have Shaw sit and put TAA on the right and probably have more talent but Walker is much more used to playing this way and is quite good at almost playing as an extra CB. I admittedly don't watch a tonne of Liverpool so I'm not really sure how well TAA would hold up basically playing as an extra central midfielder but he's very talented so I'm sure he could do it. I actually really rate Rice and think he can definitely play this formation. It asks so much from the DM but I think he's up to it. Would be quite happy if City signed him tbh.

The two main concern spots for me are Grealish (I think he and Foden are very similar in that they are much better at wide left positions) but I think he's too talented to not fit in. If you don't you could swap him for Henderson and push Mount up but I think you lose a lot with that. The other is obviously GK, because whoever you play there is definitely not up to the task of playing this way.

EDIT: I forgot about Bellingham, who you could probably play in either the Rice or Mount position and not lose much. There's also Rashford (and Sterling) who could play wide on either side. Overall, I think the squad is quite versatile if you play this way apart from GK.
Kalvin Phillips for Rice, and you have an additional supply of long searching passes for Foden and Sancho to run into, without sacrificing defensively.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kalvin Phillips for Rice, and you have an additional supply of long searching passes for Foden and Sancho to run into, without sacrificing defensively.
Heh, I never even thought about this because it won't happen. I haven't seen a huge amount of Phillips but he looks better than Rice to me. For an English player he's strangely underhyped.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Phillips is really good, he could definitely do it too. I think Rice is better though, especially in the role this side would expect of you breaking down play and reading the buildup. Such a smart player.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think it'd be a mistake not to take Trippier. His delivery is a cut above the other options. Was pretty much our main attacking option in Russia.

EDIT: I should probably say I haven't seen much of him this year, but given he's a regular for the team who won La Liga I assume he's in decent fettle.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Latest word is that we're taking all four right backs.

England squad for Euro 2020
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Man Utd), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders: John Stones (Man City), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Man City), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Reece James (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
It's always good for morale to go into a major tournament knowing that you have the best 4th-choice right back in your squad.

A shame though that if Maguire's injury doesn't settle down our only centre back options are Tyrone Mings and Conor Coady.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's always good for morale to go into a major tournament knowing that you have the best 4th-choice right back in your squad.

A shame though that if Maguire's injury doesn't settle down our only centre back options are Tyrone Mings and Conor Coady.
Think Walker's probably pencilled in as cover there too.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I only pay attention to internationals at tournaments so I’m surprised Southgate doesnt have a preferred system or one that he defaults too? The odds of him rocking up to Game 1 with a brand new system would have to be long.