• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2020 General Discussion

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lost my ticket for the group stages, but I've got a ticket for the last 16 game on 29th June confirmed at Hampden.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sorry. Cheap shot.

You could've had a tougher group though, tbf. Don't think you'll make it, but wouldn't rule it out either. One win might be enough. Was for Norn Iron last time.
Definitely lucked out on the top seeds.

I'll be happy as long as we smash **** out of the Czechs.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Sorry. Cheap shot.

You could've had a tougher group though, tbf. Don't think you'll make it, but wouldn't rule it out either. One win might be enough. Was for Norn Iron last time.
Do think its a tough group for them but wouldn't rule them out. Would have had better chances in every group apart from Group F I reckon though. Intrigued how that group goes - wouldn't be that shocked to see Croatia out in the group stage as Czechs will be decent and Scotland at Hampden Park won't be the easiest of games for Croatia to win.

Scotland in a scenario where there Championships could almost be over if they lose their first game v Czech Republic in all likelihood.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I remember Czechia at the last Euros as one of the worst teams there. Seems like they have some okay results recently tho

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mildly surprised Dier didn't make it.

Not had a banner season, but thought his versatility might carry sway.

Takes a decent pen too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mildly surprised Dier didn't make it.

Not had a banner season, but thought his versatility might carry sway.

Takes a decent pen too.
Think with a 26 man squad versatility doesn't really play a part. Mind you I think with a 23 man squad it shouldn't, but Dier has been poor.

Bamford, Konsa Tomori, and AWB perhaps unlucky too, but bizarrely we have a preponderance of right-back, Wan-Bissaka maybe the best defensively, might have giving him an edge.

Konsa and Tomori could have easily edged out White and Godfrey, but in the end as none will actually be in the 26 seems a bit of a nothing argument.

Mind you find all these stories about fans on social media "fuming" over omissions amusing, when aren't they fuming.

JOJOXI

Think with a 26 man squad versatility doesn't really play a part. Mind you I think with a 23 man squad it shouldn't, but Dier has been poor.

Bamford, Konsa Tomori, and AWB perhaps unlucky too, but bizarrely we have a preponderance of right-back, Wan-Bissaka maybe the best defensively, might have giving him an edge.

Konsa and Tomori could have easily edged out White and Godfrey, but in the end as none will actually be in the 26 seems a bit of a nothing argument.

Mind you find all these stories about fans on social media "fuming" over omissions amusing, when aren't they fuming.
I thought AWB despite causing the most controversy was the omission I had little issue with - as there are so many good rightbacks around currently, KWP has had a great season for Southampton I've heard and Lamptey was doing great before his injury as well. No issue with no Bamford but can see the argument for him. Surprised to see no Tomori though - I'd have had him in my 33.

I wouldn't be so sure about no Godfrey - I think he's one of those where it is 50/50 - in great form and has versatility on his side - I think it still matters in a 26 man squad where you could have someone test positive for Covid in the buildup to the tournament and either keep them in the squad in the hope they are available for later rounds if England are still in the competition or bring in a replacement who you may still want to get up to speed in training before considering them for selection.

Will be interesting if Chilwell gets selected or Trippier is the 2nd leftback which would then mean you don't need to drop any of the RBs with James, TAA and Walker (who can do a job in the back 3)

JOJOXI

I thought AWB despite causing the most controversy was the omission I had little issue with - as there are so many good rightbacks around currently, KWP has had a great season for Southampton I've heard and Lamptey was doing great before his injury as well. And of course, that's before you even mention Rangers right-back James Tavernier! No issue with no Bamford but can see the argument for him. Surprised to see no Tomori though - I'd have had him in my 33.

I wouldn't be so sure about no Godfrey - I think he's one of those where it is 50/50 - in great form and has versatility on his side - I think it still matters in a 26 man squad where you could have someone test positive for Covid in the buildup to the tournament and either keep them in the squad in the hope they are available for later rounds if England are still in the competition or bring in a replacement who you may still want to get up to speed in training before considering them for selection.

Will be interesting if Chilwell gets selected or Trippier is the 2nd leftback which would then mean you don't need to drop any of the RBs with James, TAA and Walker (who can do a job in the back 3)

thundaboult

International Debutant
I thought AWB despite causing the most controversy was the omission I had little issue with - as there are so many good rightbacks around currently, KWP has had a great season for Southampton I've heard and Lamptey was doing great before his injury as well. No issue with no Bamford but can see the argument for him. Surprised to see no Tomori though - I'd have had him in my 33.

Bamford simply got lost in the shuffle although in a pool of 33... he definitely deserves it.

I'm just scared of southgate being scared...again! If we go 1-nil up EARLY again and try to close a game out instead of burying it 2-0 or 3-0 like we're capable of...oh boy oh boy its time for a new manager. Us hanging onto a 1-nil advantage almost never ever works out as southgate loves the tactic of retreating into a shell. And that allows your Poland's, Colombia's, Croatia's etc etc back into the contest.

JOJOXI

Bamford simply got lost in the shuffle although in a pool of 33... he definitely deserves it.

I'm just scared of southgate being scared...again! If we go 1-nil up EARLY again and try to close a game out instead of burying it 2-0 or 3-0 like we're capable of...oh boy oh boy its time for a new manager. Us hanging onto a 1-nil advantage almost never ever works out as southgate loves the tactic of retreating into a shell. And that allows your Poland's, Colombia's, Croatia's etc etc back into the contest.
I'm not sure who I'd drop for Bamford really in that 33 - maybe Greenwood? But Greenwood an option to play off the right and I have no qualms about the 3 other strikers ahead of him.

In fairness to Southgate I think he has a very tough task. I think there is a tendency to overhype the England players and the last few tournaments haven't necessarily been won by sides burying their opponents. Portugal probably the most famous example in the last Euros but France edging past Peru and Australia and drawing with Denmark in the group stage of the last World Cup before finding their feet in the tougher knockout games.

Germany drew with Ghana, beat the USA 1-0 in the group stage, beat Algeria and Argentina after extra time between their big wins in group stage v Portugal and knockouts v Brazil.

I suspect a lot of it is to do with the club season dominating the football calendar so not only are players potentially a bit tired from a long season in some cases but they are not necessarily all that used to playing with some players in some instances especially when often it seems like there are a lot of rotated sides in International football - there isn't really one side that is going to dominate the England XI either. I wonder if that justifies a more cautious approach especially when a side has something to defend. I also wonder how much is tactical and how much is mental. Just as an example - pressing super high when you have a lead is probably easier to do if you are Liverpool and are playing and training with the same defence (injury crisis aside) regularly and being coached by a top manager. Doing it with a lower quality manager (I think that would be the case whoever managed England in all likelihood) - with a defence you are not overly familiar with when you have a lead is probably a lot harder.