• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Ringers, mate!

How do you view Aussies/Kiwis/South Africans who turn out for England?

• Traitors, pure & simple

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Pros selling their trade for top dollar

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Welcome converts to English cause

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 33.7%

• Total voters

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fed up with this utter bull****. Go and read some tabloids or your own faeces encrusted bog roll. So tired of this rubbish being brought up every time England win a game.

GGG

State Captain
Rules have got to change as simple as that, raised in a country then play for them or tough luck, Andrew Strauss should and is eligible to play for England, Kevin Pieterson should not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ I'd say you're a hater.

I very rarely go out of my way to defend the English team, but I'm behind them on this issue.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Rules have got to change as simple as that, raised in a country then play for them or tough luck, Andrew Strauss should and is eligible to play for England, Kevin Pieterson should not.
What does "raised" mean?

What if you're born in (say) a military family and don't live in any one country for more than a year at a time?

grecian

Wherever you are when you have your 12th birthday obviously :)
I reckon it should be on your eleventh year, 233 days 4 hours 22 minutes and 6 seconds into your life, it's the only fair away to stop it being arbitrary, if you happen to be on holiday to majorca at the time so be it.

Quaggas

State Captain
^ I'd say you're a hater.

I very rarely go out of my way to defend the English team, but I'm behind them on this issue.
Would you allow active poaching? NZ scouts, say, goes to, say, the Indian academy (or whatever) and give boat loads of money and citizenship to promising individuals.

In fact, why not recruit active national team members? Sehwag, for example, give him 100million USD plus NZ citizenship. Next game he trots out for the NZ test team. Has to stay NZer for say the next 5 years, or the dough reduced.

Once the smaller unions (money-wise) have been reduced to 3rd stringers, we can start talks about transferring revenue, etc, "for the good of the game."

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Would you allow active poaching? NZ scouts, say, goes to, say, the Indian academy (or whatever) and give boat loads of money and citizenship to promising individuals.

In fact, why not recruit active national team members? Sehwag, for example, give him 100million USD plus NZ citizenship. Next game he trots out for the NZ test team. Has to stay NZer for say the next 5 years, or the dough reduced.

Once the smaller unions (money-wise) have been reduced to 3rd stringers, we can start talks about transferring revenue, etc, "for the good of the game."
Well one the qualification period is like 4 years and you have to spent pretty much half of the year in the country playing cricket to qualify, so unless Sehwag is willing to put his career pretty much on hold for 4 years that's not going to happen. And i doubt many cricket boards could afford the kind of money that you would need to "poach" people.

Now i might be wrong with my understanding of the qualification period so anybody feel free to pull me up about this.

The only case i'm not sure about is Dirk Nannes but my best guess is that having grown up in Aus but retained a dutch passport he was allowed to play for both of the teams in a relatively short period of time as was he was effectively qualified for both teams

Quaggas

State Captain
Why is it a doomsday scenario? Also, the four year residency rule is just that - a rule that can be unmade.

I'm not arguing that things will or should go this (extreme?) way, but clearly everyone has their own very arbitrary line as to what is acceptable and what not. If you think that line was not crossed yet, presumably you would not mind liberalizing the rules epsilon more. Hence my hypotheticals.

One could make a good case for more mobility - for example, it would and has made the international scene more competitive. On the other hand, some fans might not like supporting a team filled with "mercenaries," and boards would not appreciate the wasted development costs only to see them vanish down a giant "hand-eye-coordination drain."

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

The day that New Zealand Cricket can offer the sort of money that would convince a decent, or even up-and-coming Indian player to shift teams, places of residence etc. is a day that I eat my hat. I very much doubt that England or Australia would have the money or inclination to do what you suggest. Utter bull****.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Would love to see more brown buggers in the Aussie outfit personally :ph34r:

If Australia poached Rohit and Kohli I'd probably support them :ph34r: