• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Jacks and S. Curran are quality t20 bats ATM, tbf.
I just don't think you'd see many teams going in with 4 bowling all rounders in their top 5 was more my point. Guess Roy pulling up before the match changed things.

I know scrappy doo has batted top 3 a fair bit in IPL in that same pinch hitter role as Narine. Just very surprising to see Evans come in at 6.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I just don't think you'd see many teams going in with 4 bowling all rounders in their top 5 was more my point. Guess Roy pulling up before the match changed things.

I know scrappy doo has batted top 3 a fair bit in IPL in that same pinch hitter role as Narine. Just very surprising to see Evans come in at 6.
Maybe Evans is just getting a bit old. I remember someone asked the Australian coach why Brad hodge was batting 11 later on in life in t20 and the reason was he was 36 and couldn't see the ball like he could when he was younger.

tony p

First Class Debutant
according to cricketarchive it does. If it turns out to be 11 plays 11 it will probably remain so, but probably best wait and see what happens when the game begins. Ireland 50/5 at lunch on the first morning and their top order will probably all bat twice in the same innings.
I would say it's not a FC match, 3 or 4 Irish players in the Essex team, captained by Nick Browne , the only player who I actually know. (poor bugger, he needs to play some cricket I guess as the Blast stuff won't give him a game for about a month)
Hopefuly Essex aren't charging an entrance fee for this.

FBU

International Debutant
I would say it's not a FC match, 3 or 4 Irish players in the Essex team, captained by Nick Browne , the only player who I actually know. (poor bugger, he needs to play some cricket I guess as the Blast stuff won't give him a game for about a month)
Hopefuly Essex aren't charging an entrance fee for this.
Apart from Browne, one Essex player has played 3 f/c games and one has played 1. Four are making a f/c debut.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

The only piece that I've read about the IPL is that SCurran's batting was better than his bowling. Looking at last night's scorecard, that still seems to be the case.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Apart from Browne, one Essex player has played 3 f/c games and one has played 1. Four are making a f/c debut.
Yes: Buttleman 1, Rymell 3 plus Das and Richards have List A for Essex (not that that counts for much these days). Thain and Kalley Essex 2nds plus 4 Irishmen. Cricinfo normally list those on First Class Debuts at the foot of the scorecard, nothing listed (yet). Match may yet turn into an extended knock about to give Balbirnie and McCollum some more practice. Would be tough on Das.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Yes: Buttleman 1, Rymell 3 plus Das and Richards have List A for Essex (not that that counts for much these days). Thain and Kalley Essex 2nds plus 4 Irishmen. Cricinfo normally list those on First Class Debuts at the foot of the scorecard, nothing listed (yet). Match may yet turn into an extended knock about to give Balbirnie and McCollum some more practice. Would be tough on Das.
It already has dockrell and campher batted for Essex

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
It already has dockrell and campher batted for Essex
Isn't it arguable that they are playing for an Essex Select XI? So theoretically could retain first class status until Dockrell and Campher also bat for Ireland. Maybe they are also on trial for Essex like Thain and Kalley.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Isn't it arguable that they are playing for an Essex Select XI? So theoretically could retain first class status until Dockrell and Campher also bat for Ireland. Maybe they are also on trial for Essex like Thain and Kalley.
Guess your right just seems daft.

Wish I'd watched Abbott's innings talking about daft things. Mental 4th fastest ever from a bloke with a previous best of 41.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thain has signed for Essex and according to the club, this has FC status with Thain, Das, Richards and Kalley making their FC debut.

grecian

Gotta say for this level Somerset's attack is pretty incredible in the Blast, oddly the weak link did most damage today.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Gotta say for this level Somerset's attack is pretty incredible in the Blast, oddly the weak link did most damage today.
Is Van De merwe really a weak link. Always seems to be a big player in this format.

Henry and Siddle can't say I've seen them do as much as him in this format.

"For this level" don't be like the ECB and downplay the competition.

If you hoyed as many stars in as the IPL does and I bet you get a better competition.

I feel we need a champions league again in domestic cricket to prove it. But obviously why do that when you can replicate franchises in different continents.

Sadly Aus joining the party with the USA league. Fail to see how that brings in any new fans surely just appealing to massive ex pat Asian market.

RE the blast Glad they've finally put most of the games on weekends.

Sadly too many clubs have got greedy with ticket prices while hundred tickets are subsided. I saw £29 and £35 were the prices at Trent Bridge and Lords the other night absolutely shameful. Especially when there offering the streams for free(which is fantastic all the same).

Durham charge £16.50 a game or £70 for a season ticket in comparison. Albeit we've been ****e for years.

On the subject of the lord's game. Kevin Hand was angry on twitter as upper tiers of lords shut, he was defs putting blame at the ECB/Hundred door as the Middlesex/Surrey game was normally a 25k sellout(which is better than some London prem teams selling tickets at even more eye watering price as high £100 at Fulham for a game I believe)

Last edited:

grecian

Is Van De merwe really a weak link. Always seems to be a big player in this format.

Henry and Siddle can't say I've seen them do as much as him in this format.

"For this level" don't be like the ECB and downplay the competition.

If you hoyed as many stars in as the IPL does and I bet you get a better competition.

I feel we need a champions league again in domestic cricket to prove it. But obviously why do that when you can replicate franchises in different continents.

Sadly Aus joining the party with the USA league. Fail to see how that brings in any new fans surely just appealing to massive ex pat Asian market.

RE the blast Glad they've finally put most of the games on weekends.

Sadly too many clubs have got greedy with ticket prices while hundred tickets are subsided. I saw £29 and £35 were the prices at Trent Bridge and Lords the other night absolutely shameful. Especially when there offering the streams for free(which is fantastic all the same).

Durham charge £16.50 a game or £70 for a season ticket in comparison. Albeit we've been ****e for years.

On the subject of the lord's game. Kevin Hand was angry on twitter as upper tiers of lords shut, he was defs putting blame at the ECB/Hundred door as the Middlesex/Surrey game was normally a 25k sellout(which is better than some London prem teams selling tickets at even more eye watering price as high £100 at Fulham for a game I believe)
The fact is Gregory and Overton haven't really cut it at International level (even though for 50 overs I reckon Lewis is pretty unlucky to not be involved), and siddle's best days are behind him. Siddle's t20 record is pretty good, less so Henry I suppose, but yeah being harsh on VDM, Ben Green clearly the weak link, but his record is impressive and he was born in a sainted Cathedral City.

It's a damned good bowling line-up, fancy us to win it, if our Tom's don't collapse in an important match.

Starfighter

Anyone know anything about Ajeet Dale? I like funny looking fast bowlers and his action is reminiscent Wayne Holdsworth of all people.