• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lancashire putting out one of the trundliest military medium attacks the CC has ever seen. Where's Mahmoud and Wood?
Well it worked. Was there today, absolutely shocking day for Hampshire. Left before tea to take the lad to the model railway, pretty glad we did. Enjoyed the ground though.

FBU

International Debutant
You're probably right. Maybe he doesn't fancy playing tests in India anyway.
Didn't realise he had played 63 f/c matches for Lancs. Was looking at his debut in 2016 v Notts. Top scorer 70 and Wagner 11 wickets for Lancs.
Imagine Leach, Ahmed and Jacks will go to India and Ali back in retirement from Tests

ataraxia

International Coach
... that's including this innings. When he went out to bat in front of Shipley (who made 41), he averaged 25.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
On paper a fine comeback by Kent yesterday however I think that was rather a fairer reflection of what were good pitch and weather conditions for batting. The top order collapse was disappointing under the circumstances. A couple got decent balls however the dismissals were mostly down to poor shots (or lack of shot in one case).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
On paper a fine comeback by Kent yesterday however I think that was rather a fairer reflection of what were good pitch and weather conditions for batting. The top order collapse was disappointing under the circumstances. A couple got decent balls however the dismissals were mostly down to poor shots (or lack of shot in one case).
It looks a fine comeback to me considering that Cox and Evison came together when the ball was still pretty new and a sub-100 total looked the likeliest outcome from 41 for 5. All very frustrating from a Surrey pov, and finishing off the lower middle order has sometimes been a weakness for us. I only saw the first 5 dismissals. As you say, Denly's off stump was knocked out of the ground after leaving one from Abbott that moved in. Leaning (I think) was a bit unlucky / played the leg side glance poorly (delete as you feel) to be strangled down the leg side. One of the others wafted at a wide one which he probably shouldn't have been playing at that stage of the innings. Whatever, a first innings 300+ score and removing Burns cheaply means that Kent are in a handy position.

Molehill

International Captain
I think the issue is fynn batting 7 in this lineup. Should be at 9/10
H-P batted as high as 4 last season (which was daft). I didn't realise Shipley could bat as well as he did, he hit some lovely straight drives. Even Karvelas at 11 is no slouch with a FC 50 to his name.

For Sussex, the one that most concerns me now is Ibrahim. Looked a really talented kid when debuting at 16, but maybe that was just too early. He's not showing signs of kicking on at all, Coles looks a far more talented player now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine Leach, Ahmed and Jacks will go to India and Ali back in retirement from Tests
I think that's the likeliest scenario, although I would prefer to see Ahmed look at least slightly threatening in the CC this season. And obviously Leach's fitness is a concern.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
It looks a fine comeback to me considering that Cox and Evison came together when the ball was still pretty new and a sub-100 total looked the likeliest outcome from 41 for 5. All very frustrating from a Surrey pov, and finishing off the lower middle order has sometimes been a weakness for us. I only saw the first 5 dismissals. As you say, Denly's off stump was knocked out of the ground after leaving one from Abbott that moved in. Leaning (I think) was a bit unlucky / played the leg side glance poorly (delete as you feel) to be strangled down the leg side. One of the others wafted at a wide one which he probably shouldn't have been playing at that stage of the innings. Whatever, a first innings 300+ score and removing Burns cheaply means that Kent are in a handy position.
Getting the two wickets last night was certainly a bonus for Kent. However I fear that it may be a long day in the field for them today.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The cc is back tomorrow. Lancs will have another draw. Salt playing but Buttler and Livingstone 'managing their workloads'. Those two won't play red ball cricket again for Lancs.
I spent the day at sunny Southport yesterday, watching Lancs v Hampshire. Whilst going to Old Trafford is always enjoyable there's something really 'English' about county cricket at the out grounds.

There was a good crowd, a very relaxed atmosphere and you can get really close to the action.

There's no major queues for anything and the food and drink were reasonably priced.

Great day for Lancs, a pity some of the big names weren't playing for those that don't go to OT, but a thoroughly enjoyable day all round.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever, a first innings 300+ score and removing Burns cheaply means that Kent are in a handy position.
Even more so now; Surrey's 42 for 5 matches Kent's first five wickets, albeit with a night-watchman as one of the wickets. No, make that 42 for 6. Kent have bowled very well, but this is a nonsense of a score on this wicket. I can forgive Latham being rusty on his first time out for us. Sibley just irritates me, spending forever blocking everything until edging behind the first time he dares to play an attacking shot. He really is a thoroughly mediocre cricketer. As it is, Kent will be in a position to enforce the follow on should they choose to do so.

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Perhaps my analysis was not 100% correct….

The only mitigation I can claim is that the weather would seem to be better for bowling today.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps my analysis was not 100% correct….

The only mitigation I can claim is that the weather would seem to be better for bowling today.
Maybe it's a bit sticky after the overnight thunderstorm. But I think that Foakes was the only one to get out to a ball that did a lot. A couple of them (Latham and Smith) seemed undone by balls that may have held up off the pitch, but that's nothing to do with swing or seam movement, and perhaps the bowlers should be credited with clever pieces of bowling.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the report. Cannot watch today.
Shame from your pov. 67 for 7 now, so maybe Abbott will try to give it some humpty.
I remember SCurran and Jacks both hitting 100s against Kent last season, but. without checking, this is a much stronger attack.

The live stream is a bit out of synch as the commentary is a couple of seconds ahead of the video footage.