• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Any reason why Rehan Ahmed didn't bowl in Worcesters second dig?
I watched the last 30 runs or so and thought it strange that Ahmed wasn't used. I gather that the wicket had been doing loads for the quicker bowlers throughout, but surely it was worth trying something different once Worcestershire's 8th wicket pair were well set.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I watched the last 30 runs or so and thought it strange that Ahmed wasn't used. I gather that the wicket had been doing loads for the quicker bowlers throughout, but surely it was worth trying something different once Worcestershire's 8th wicket pair were well set.
Yeah, you'd think an attacking leg-spinner might be worth a shot for an over or two, but hopefully no injury.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Glamorgan turning it around against Sussex.

Ollie Robinson unable to bowl due to a sore ankle.

AndrewB

I might have been young but I can recall JPS girls walking round the outfield giving packs of No.6 away - I doubt they were selling, tbh I can't remember. But there was no overlap as with today. Sunday was the John Player League, Championship the rest of the week. Never were some counties playing in the JPS whilst others on the same day played in the championship.
There may not have been different competitions on the same day, but I don't know that the schedule made more sense. Here's Yorkshire fixtures in July 1987:

1st, 2nd, 3rd: Championship match at Canterbury
4th: First day of Championship match at Nottingham
5th: Sunday League match (40 overs) at Nottingham
6th, 7th: Last 2 days of Championship match at Nottingham
8th: NatWest Bank match (60 overs) at Leeds
11th: B+H Cup Final (55 overs) at Lords
12th: Sunday Leagure match (40 overs) at Scarborough (v Middlesex)
15th, 16th, 17th: Championship match at The Oval
18th: First day of Championship match at Hastings
19th: Sunday League match at Bristol
20th, 21st: Last 2 days of Championship match at Hastings
22nd, 23rd. 24th: Championship match at Leeds(v Glamorgan)
25th: First day of Championship match at Leicester
26th: Sunday League match at Leicester
27th, 28th: Last 2 days of Championship match at Leicester
29th: NatWest Bank match at Leeds (v Leicestershire)

Aidan11

Durham get their 4th win of the season. Another 5-fer for Ajaz Patel giving him match figures of 10-219.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Sir Alistair Cook gone for 99 - so that's still no hundred at Trent Bridge.

Meanwhile Nils Priestley (ex Derby) smashes 147* off 66 balls (10x6, 12*4) to turn the first NCCA T20 semi into a one sided contest. Staffs set Berkshire 253 to win. They made 184. Just the 437 runs - what's the point?

Staffs featured Zen Malik (SACA & on trial at Leicestershire, Liam Hurt (ex Lancs), James Kettleborough (ex Glam, Northants), Tom Brett (ex Northants) as well as Priestley.
Berkshire just Dan Lincoln, Toby Greatwood, Jack Davies (ex or currently Middlesex), Toby Albert (Hants), Luke Beaven (ex Surrey) and Euan Woods (like Davies and Malik ex- Eng u19s)

The less monied / star studded semi just started:
Cornwall / Hertfordshire

Last edited:

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
There may not have been different competitions on the same day, but I don't know that the schedule made more sense. Here's Yorkshire fixtures in July 1987:

thanksfully split matches are a thing of the past

ataraxia

International Coach

yessss

tony p

First Class Debutant
I see Essex are playing Ireland in a three day game at Chelmsford starting on May 26th (For Ireland's Test warm up)

Does anyone know if this match has First Class status.?

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
I see Essex are playing Ireland in a three day game at Chelmsford starting on May 26th (For Ireland's Test warm up)

Does anyone know if this match has First Class status.?
according to cricketarchive it does. If it turns out to be 11 plays 11 it will probably remain so, but probably best wait and see what happens when the game begins. Ireland 50/5 at lunch on the first morning and their top order will probably all bat twice in the same innings.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Some revenue is of course better than no revenue however this pricing may be optimistic.
Is it? Does putting cricket behind a paywall work in the longer term? Better to use it to stimulate interest and hope to turn that interest in £20 match day tickets?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
As winning margins go in T20, 194 might be the biggest I've come across. Bopara hit 144 from 49 balls in the total of 324 and then took 4-32 too.

De Caires (son of Atherton) was hit for 38 in one over by Bopara (there was a no ball which went to the boundary).
Obviously doesn't include second XI

But bigger than anything played by teams of a decent standard.

Molehill

International Captain
Obviously doesn't include second XI

But bigger than anything played by teams of a decent standard.

Yeah, think I'd ignore the first 2 on that list. The Sussex XI was pretty strong, I think 9 of the 11 have played CC this season and one of those that hasn't is Bopara. Whilst for Middlesex I'm not sure Sam Robson would've bowled too many overs in T20's before (I just checked, he hasn't).