• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Is it? Does putting cricket behind a paywall work in the longer term? Better to use it to stimulate interest and hope to turn that interest in £20 match day tickets?
To be clear, I don’t think it is a good idea, I was just trying to think through their reasoning. We have sufficient wider evidence that putting cricket behind a paywall does not work out well in the longer term. On which theme, the county streams and internet commentary of the last few years have been a tremendous boon to cricket lovers, to the extent that one wonders that it must undercut Sky’s cricket franchise now that it no longer has exclusivity. That one has to seek it out however does limit its ability to spread the game to new viewers.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
I see Essex are playing Ireland in a three day game at Chelmsford starting on May 26th (For Ireland's Test warm up)

Does anyone know if this match has First Class status.?
It is the only first class match in England this season which is nether a test or county championship match so let’s make the most of it.

weeman27bob

International Regular
To be clear, I don’t think it is a good idea, I was just trying to think through their reasoning. We have sufficient wider evidence that putting cricket behind a paywall does not work out well in the longer term. On which theme, the county streams and internet commentary of the last few years have been a tremendous boon to cricket lovers, to the extent that one wonders that it must undercut Sky’s cricket franchise now that it no longer has exclusivity. That one has to seek it out however does limit its ability to spread the game to new viewers.
There was someone tweeting about this yesterday (I forget who) and pointing out that while running a livestream is great for cricket lovers who want to watch it, a high quality product is actually surprisingly expensive to run, and if they're offering it for free where is that money coming from?

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
I don’t know but perhaps there is some central ecb funding. They certainly pay for the bbc local radio commentary and the ‘ecb reporters network’

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
according to cricketarchive it does. If it turns out to be 11 plays 11 it will probably remain so, but probably best wait and see what happens when the game begins. Ireland 50/5 at lunch on the first morning and their top order will probably all bat twice in the same innings.
imo Ireland actually have some okay batters now, their bowling is fully county trundler though

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Agreed, but in terms of the seeking it out being difficult: Assuming that the county clubs are trying to push the boundaries of their existing base, rather than the franchises going for something completely new, then the market would be children of existing cricket families who will be youtube savvy and should thereafter be wanting to see it live, and involve their friends provided it's presented well, which generally speaking there has been a vast improvement over the last few years.

Don't believe any ECB County funding has trickled down to us yet.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
What's illegitimate about it?
It might be a matter of opinion but did you stop the video at the point of delivery? See comments:
"He’s ..... not bowled it. His arm is not fully extended at the point of putting his foot down and the last action is to throw from the elbow. That’s not allowed is it??"

Or is it??

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It might be a matter of opinion but did you stop the video at the point of delivery? See comments:
"He’s ..... not bowled it. His arm is not fully extended at the point of putting his foot down and the last action is to throw from the elbow. That’s not allowed is it??"

Or is it??
Maybe the comments are wrong. I don't think his elbow is completely straight at any point but I don't see any noticeable extension.

Quite similar to Ray Lindwall in fact:

Molehill

International Captain
I don’t know but perhaps there is some central ecb funding. They certainly pay for the bbc local radio commentary and the ‘ecb reporters network’
I was wondering what the 'ECB Reporters network' was after reading a report on the Vipers game yesterday.

It's a valid point about Sky being a bit pissed off. I will always watch a Sussex Blast game on livestream over whatever the game is on Sky. However, if I was asked to pay for it I doubt I would, the quality doesn't really justify it.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
The reporters network was set up a few years ago when the press agencies ceased to cover county matches. Clearly it is not ideal when an organisation is effectively reporting in itself however the reporters network gives pretty bare bones factual reports.
More widely, county cricket’s profile is increasingly dichotomous in that, for enthusiasts, it has never been easier to watch, listen or discuss it or find out information from the clubs. At the same time it’s profile in terms of the mainstream media and public awareness would seem to be significantly lower than in the 1980s and 90s when I started following the game. I suppose though that this is true of many aspects of life. The internet empowers but at the same time fragments us.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Maybe the comments are wrong. I don't think his elbow is completely straight at any point but I don't see any noticeable extension.

Quite similar to Ray Lindwall in fact:
Agreed not dissimilar. I guess I'm showing a bias against slingers.

The action is not dissimilar either to a fielder on the boundary about to hurl the ball back in.

I don't think the comments wrong, just opinion.Screenshot_20230524-072636_Chrome.jpg

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Not sure if this is the right place but Major League Cricket, the US version of the IPL runs over July. J Roy has torn up his England contract and that could be the start of a drip feed of talent playing abroad during an English Summer. Ideally it would really hobble the Hundred.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Not sure if this is the right place but Major League Cricket, the US version of the IPL runs over July. J Roy has torn up his England contract and that could be the start of a drip feed of talent playing abroad during an English Summer. Ideally it would really hobble the Hundred.
Roy has confirmed that this is not correct.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JOverton with some big hitting interesting to see how he bowls.

Edit: oh apparently he's just playing as a bat, ho-hum.