• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands Foreigners

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I agree Egyption ecb can't stop it,the problem is the counties,short termism,essentially they are not keen on developing their talent,either import from another county,the leagues like Azaralluh,or basically steal them.
Yes sad on Robson we developed him in NSW and he was on a rookie contract 5 years ago.
Problem is ppl like Marc are in complete denial of the scale of proliferation.
I can make a list,whats the point,we know there is a proliferation of foreigners in county cricket.But Marc is in so much denial.He made a comment earlier without substantiation that if someone plays for a county then he is Englands". He didn't even make a sub conclusion that overseas players are not on offer.I just hate the attitude that we are entitled to these foreigners.
I know not all English here have that attitude,thats why i haven't gone after all English fans here,just ppl like Marc who think England is entitled to do what they want.
The biggest at fault is the ICC,they have not intervened,and yes it weakens international cricket,and i think Zimbabwe bt Pakistan inspite of this.
Despite Fawad Ahmed,i hope Australia do not go down this line,i am heartened that Fawad was a general refugee and neither parties acted inapropirately.To be honest apart from Robson,England is not our main worry its AFL.
Where did I make a comment that if they play for a county their England's?

I am only disputing what you call a foreigner (case in point being the bloke born in England who has lived in England his whole life)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, I reckon this is everyone who's played an FC game for an English County in 2013 whom you could count as a foreigner if you so wished (97). This doesn't include English born and raised players who represent Associate nations through their parents.

There are a few in here (Prior, Chambers, Compton) who are very much English having moved here very young or having longstanding English roots; others (Benkenstein, Breese) who are part of the furniture at a club (ever heard Breese speak?); others who played a handful of games in a revolving-door overseas policy (Christian, White, Gambhir). Clearly there has not been any stage at which all these players listed have been playing simultaneously, but it's food for thought...

What's so much better about England that everyone wants to be here?

DERBY
Madsen
Chanderpaul
Hughes
Groenewald

DURHAM
Jennings
Richardson
Benkenstein
Thorp
Breese

ESSEX
Smith
ten Doeschate
Quiney
Gambhir
Rutherford
Chambers

GLAMORGAN
Goodwin
Allenby
Cooke
North
Hogan
N McCullum

GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Klinger
Marshall
Roderick
Fuller
Christian

HAMPSHIRE
Ervine
McKenzie
Bailey
Tanvir
Brathwaite

KENT
Nash
Jones
Claydon
Philander

LANCASHIRE
Prince
Katich
Horton
Agathangelou
Moore
Jarvis

LEICESTERSHIRE
N O'Brien
Sarwan
Burns
Robson
Henderson
Ireland

KENT
Robson
Rogers
Dexter
Malan
Berg
Voges
Morgan
Stirling
Collymore

NORTHANTS
Hall
Crook
Copeland
White
Azharullah

NOTTS
Lumb
Cowan
D Hussey
Adams
Wessels

SOMERSET
Compton
Kieswetter
Petersen
Thomas
Chawla
Elgar

SURREY
de Bruyn
Amla
Ponting
Wilson
Pietersen
Smith
Meaker
Dernbach
Roy

SUSSEX
Joyce
Jordan
Prior
Magoffin
Zaidi

WARWICKSHIRE
Ambrose
Patel
Porterfield
Trott
Rankin

WORCESTERSHIRE
Samaraweera
Kervezee
Johnson

YORKSHIRE
Ballance
Jaques
Williamson

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People play cricket in England because it's so much easier to get a gig over there. So many more opportunities.

And even the lower league clubs are far far more likely to spend coin on overseas players than they are in Australia, although the last couple of years it's starting to get slightly more common here, but still absolutely nowhere near the level in England.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Meschede should be on the list, don't know how I missed him.

Rayner was a deliberate omission - Forces I think.

Shah/Solanki... well, I suppose if you wanted to get the list up to 100 you could add them, but they would be the most tenuous on the whole list.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Neil may add some later but happy with the list,saves me doing it,Middlesex has a lot of foreigners maybe 10 when you consider the 2nds too.
Marc you are a little naive.Counties full of foreigners.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ESSEX
Smith
ten Doeschate
Quiney
Gambhir
Rutherford
Chambers
Let's take Essex for an example. They never had more than one of Gambhir, Rutherford or Quiney at any single time and they were all classed as proper overseas players (one per team) which leaves you with three Anglicised players:

Greg Smith - Definitely South African. Will have played in the UK for 10 years by next season. Learned his cricket in RSA.
Ryan ten Doeschate - Definitely foreign. South African who plays for Holland. Has now played for Essex for 10 years. Learned his cricket in RSA.
Maurice Chambers - Been at Essex since at least 2005 (8 years), but was given a position as non-overseas player. Interesting one. Played for Essex U17s back in 2004. Arguably learned his cricket in the UK, but hard to be sure.

An interesting exercise, anyway.

brockley

International Captain
Screw it will just do Middlesex.
Robson-Aussie.
Malan - Saffie.
Dexter-Saffie.
Morgan -Irish.
Berg - Saffie.
Collymore- Windies.
Sterling-Irish.
Davey- Scottish.
Balbirnie -Irish.
Higgins- Zimbabwe.
Eskinazi - Aussie.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Higgins is really stretching the point. Has played for Berkshire and Middlesex since U14 and England age groups to U19.

Irishmen and Scots are always going to play in England if they're good enough to be professional cricketers.

Are you suggesting that people like Berg, who has lived in England for ten years now, should not be allowed to play cricket here?

brockley

International Captain
Their your guidelines Neil.
Just emphasize their is a proliferation of foreigners,some naturalised,in the England comp.