• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v. Associate XI.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Associate squad's been announced:

William Porterfield* (IRL)
Paul Stirling (IRL)
Kyle Coetzer (SCO)
Craig Williams (NAM)
Saqib Ali (UAE)
Mohammad Shahzad+ (AFG)
Majid Haq (SCO)
Mohammad Nabi (AFG)
George Dockrell (IRL)
Hamid Hassan (AFG)
Boyd Rankin (IRL)

Christi Viljoen (NAM)

Definately enough Ireland and Afghanistan players to make this fun.

Probably two places between Haq, Nabi and Viljoen. The latter is apparently a medium-pace bowling allrounder (I've never seen him play), so will likely get in to bowl first change. Can't see them playing all six bowlers as they need the top six intact. No idea what Saqib is like, but according to Cricinfo he once hit a 195 in the intercontinental, so that'll do I guess. Only other player I've not seen is Williams, Nambia's captain, but he has a good record and it seems is the best bat in his team by a distance, so he fits this middle order quite well.
Kevin O Brien isnt playing. :(

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's not a bad side at all tbh, could easily be competitive in limited overs

Viljoen should be playing ahead of Haq for sure though
Yea, I reckon one of the spinners will get the elbow. There's four of them if you include Stirling.

Mohammed Nabi is a pretty good bat and Dockrell is a must pick, so Haq would be the logical choice to sit out. The guy has just about batted in every position from 1 through to 11 so he could do with a 12th man to complete the set.

Last edited:

grecian

Hope Dockerell get's a game, terrible injury last year, hoping he'll get a lot of games this year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I always find it mildly bittersweet that the Irish players are effectively auditioning for England.

Rankin has, in fact, been named in the latest Loins' squad.

HeathDavisSpeed

Missing any Dutch players is a shame. You would have thought Kervezee or Borren might have been worth a go. Good to see Craig Williams in there, though I would have preferred to see Jan-Berrie Burger!

Athlai

Not Terrible

Paul Stirling (IRL)
Kyle Coetzer (SCO)
Craig Williams (NAM)
Saqib Ali (UAE)
Mohammad Shahzad+ (AFG)
Majid Haq (SCO)
Mohammad Nabi (AFG)
George Dockrell (IRL)
Hamid Hassan (AFG)
Boyd Rankin (IRL)

Christi Viljoen (NAM)

Probably two places between Haq, Nabi and Viljoen. The latter is apparently a medium-pace bowling allrounder (I've never seen him play), so will likely get in to bowl first change. Can't see them playing all six bowlers as they need the top six intact. No idea what Saqib is like, but according to Cricinfo he once hit a 195 in the intercontinental, so that'll do I guess. Only other player I've not seen is Williams, Nambia's captain, but he has a good record and it seems is the best bat in his team by a distance, so he fits this middle order quite well.
Wow surprised at how close to the money that side is to the best associate players. Really looking forward to this.

The_roc

U19 Captain

Paul Stirling (IRL)
Kyle Coetzer (SCO)
Craig Williams (NAM)
Saqib Ali (UAE)
Mohammad Shahzad+ (AFG)
Majid Haq (SCO)
Mohammad Nabi (AFG)
George Dockrell (IRL)
Hamid Hassan (AFG)
Boyd Rankin (IRL)

Christi Viljoen (NAM)

I see they have included a token UAE player to keep the locals happy