• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
If I was bold, I'd have gone with this starting XI for the first WC game.

Jacks, Buttler, Malan, Ali, Livingstone, Brook, Stokes, Willey, Rashid, Helm, Luke Wood.

RootingforEngland

Cricket Spectator
The options for the test side seem to be:

1. Duckett to 3, Pope to 5.
2. Duckett to open, Crawley to 5.
3. Brook to 5.

Presumably they'll go for option 3. In which case if he scores runs, it's difficult to see how Bairstow gets back into the side barring any injuries.

He's never been a favourite player of mine, but he's been brilliant this year and has even seemed like a good bloke, and I wish him all the best in his recovery, and hope he's back scoring runs asap.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Dangerous game golf. I've avoided injuries but was struck in the buttock my a wayward fairway wood. On another occasion one of our group was less fortunate. He damaged an Achilles tendon when teeing off on the first hole. Hope Bairstow's injury isn't too severe, but the fact it requires surgery suggests otherwise.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's Brook for Bairstow, Duckett is cover. No point wishing for anything else, as we come off a win. Not sure it's hugely fair recalling Duckett as opener, when he doesn't play there against the likes of Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi either. If they were thinking of changing an opener, I guess they'd have brought in an opener.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I'd like to see Duckett bat at three as I think you could move him up if he does well. Even if they're backing Crawley I just can't see Lees getting the runs he needs. Pope moves down to five.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really like Pope at 3 given his strengths and weaknesses, even though he mostly batted further down domestically. If Duckett is going to play he should come in for one of the openers IMO; Brook should bat 5 either way.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hales hasn't even been that good recently in T20(and other) iirc. Don't think they were overly keen to bring him back but Roy's lack of form and Bairstow's injury have forced their hand. Salt should have played more cricket earlier in the summer for England when Roy was obviously struggling imo. Lyth has been excellent this year - would have been interested to see how he'd go as unlikely as his selection would have been.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of how much Ashes tickets at Lord's/Headingley/The Oval might cost?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You'll probably have to enter a ballot unless you're a club member somewhere.

Headingley might be cheaper, but I reckon you're looking at £130-£200 for London.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cheers everyone. I have free accommodation in London but probably won’t in Leeds. If the London price is silly I might just go for one day.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Any thoughts on a recall for Jennings for the Pakistan test series? Not the worst option at the top of the order. Also wonder if Broad and Anderson will go? They've obviously been named in the Ashes squad already...

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Any thoughts on a recall for Jennings for the Pakistan test series? Not the worst option at the top of the order. Also wonder if Broad and Anderson will go? They've obviously been named in the Ashes squad already...
It's been rumoured that Broad isn't going. I think he has a child due then. Not heard the same reported re: Anderson, so he may tour.

Think Jennings is a good shout for a squad birth. Had a really good domestic season and he actually did well in Tests in Asia. I expect Crawley and Lees are inked in to play though after their very streaky positive century stand in the deciding SA Test.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Yes, absolutely. Had a good season and has two test hundreds in Asia. Not much confidence in Crawley or Lees against spin. I think Crawley will keep his place anyway but Lees is vulnerable.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
It's been rumoured that Broad isn't going. I think he has a child due then. Not heard the same reported re: Anderson, so he may tour.

Think Jennings is a good shout for a squad birth. Had a really good domestic season and he actually did well in Tests in Asia. I expect Crawley and Lees are inked in to play though after their very streaky positive century stand in the deciding SA Test.
If Broad wants to stay home, I wouldn't be averse to it. I know they want to play the strongest sides and have given up on rotation, but they take family commitments seriously and it's a tour that could be a slog for a pace bowler.

Anderson and Robinson would be pencilled in most likely anyway, and there are guys coming back from injury such as Wood and Stone (I think you need one guy who can crank up the speed gun potentially). Woakes too, but his away record's not much to shout about. Shame Mahmood is injured as I think he could've been a good option. Helm may be an outside bet?

Spin is the real issue here. Leach and Mo obviously but the third spinner? Parkinson would seem most likely but I'm not sure.