• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Xix2565

International Debutant
yeah but the qn of whether or not they ought be dropped isn't whether they're comparable to other spearheads across the world it's if they're in the T3 pacers in the team which they seek to represent tbqh
This is all in reference to how they perform away from home, and what that reflects though. They are essentially holding bowlers away from home and only in certain conditions do they elevate themselves from that. Ultimately this means England needed to find and develop other options who could succeed as better strike options, but that doesn't mean England didn't **** up how they went about it (and I didn't necessarily agree with their removals in the first place), just that their queries weren't unfounded bull****. The away record is there for all to see.

Shady Slim

International Coach
This is all in reference to how they perform away from home, and what that reflects though. They are essentially holding bowlers away from home and only in certain conditions do they elevate themselves from that. Ultimately this means England needed to find and develop other options who could succeed as better strike options, but that doesn't mean England didn't **** up how they went about it (and I didn't necessarily agree with their removals in the first place), just that their queries weren't unfounded bull****. The away record is there for all to see.
but this also doesnt mean at this instant and moment in time they dont have those other options, and broaderson are still in their top attack even in away tests is the thing right

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All moot tbh the elephant in the room is they are left out largely because their toxic personalities and influence on bullying team culture, not just because of their age

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My prediction for 1st Test XI
Lees, Crawley, Root, Pope, Lawrence, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, C Overton, Broad, Anderson (12th man : Mahmood)

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Bairstow surely a lock to play (barring injury).

Would think Mahmood or Leach would play ahead of COverton. Robinson you'd expect will play if he's fit. Not sure Woakes is fit at the mo either.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If they go into the first Test without a spinner, whether it be Leach, Parkinson, Bess or even ****ing Dawson I think I'll cry. Spin has been a weapon in England for years, we've had a dry start to the Summer, leaving out spinners hasn't worked particularly for us, so stop ****ing doing it, even if it leaves us with a tail of Mahmood, Broad, Leach, Anderson, which with Stokes would be my preferred line-up with the copious injuries. Obviously others could prove themselves fit, but let them do that first, then we'll discuss if they should come in.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Lees, Crawley, Root, Pope, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, Leach, Broad, Anderson.

Not the side I'd pick though. I'd go with:

Haines, Duckett, Root, Bohannon, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Parkinson.

grecian

Woakes hasn't played yet has he this season?

I have a feeling Key will go with a bit of a shock selection in the batting, whether it be Livingstone, Brook, Or bohannon I'm not sure, Don't think Foakes will play.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Woakes hasn't played yet has he this season?

I have a feeling Key will go with a bit of a shock selection in the batting, whether it be Livingstone, Brook, Or bohannon I'm not sure, Don't think Foakes will play.
It's possible/probable Key will have a 'statement' pick. I'd be surprised if Livingstone walked straight into Tests from the IPL but Brook may be a curveball. I agree that Foakes probably isn't long for the Test side. Reckon Bairstow's lined up for the gloves again.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Guessing Woakes isn't fit as I don't think he has played at all for Warks yet. Or is he at the IPL?

I would like to see Brook get a game, he looks quality. Crawley can't buy a run this season so far. Hope they keep faith with Foakes.

Pothas

Don't really see the point of Foakes if Bairstow is already in the team.

We have no idea who the selector is going to be yet do we?

I had missed Stokes saying he was moving back to 6. Definitely a good move.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I always thought they had gone to bottom of the rankings in 99.
I think we did, but this is about rating points, so we must have been ranked last despite having more points than we do currently. (No Bangladesh, Afghanistan or Ireland in the Test rankings then and Zimbabwe were obviously much stronger too.)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF to England (something no one should ever be, but anyway) Archer being injured for the tour out here was a massive blow to them. Wood was moderately effective out here and he's about 2/3 the bowler Archer is. If they'd had Archer, Wood and one of Broad and Anderson in the attack out there, they'd have done a lot better and probably lost 3-0 instead of 4-0.