• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson and Broad have been pretty good away recently.

Most importantly, they've easily outplayed all rivals for their places bar Robinson and maybe Wood. You can make a good argument for including Wood or maybe a fit Archer or Stone ahead of one of the medium fast trio but England stupidly broke up one of the few things working well.
We do play Wood, Stone or Archer when fit, but they're rarely fit.

Oh and there clearly is nothing wrong with those Anderson stats, unless you go off a weird metric, and yes if your batting scores a lot less than they should, it's harder for bowlers to take as many wickets, particularly 20, as they don't have an half-decent amount of runs to defend. This is so blatantly ****ing obvious as you would think it wouldn't need mentioning, but here we are, I am.

Last edited:

grecian

I know. Wood is often fit tbh. Often gets himself dropped at home though.
Define "often", Every England bowler is rotated including Broad and Anderson. The feeling on Wood is that he can't stay fit for back-to-back matches, but yet of course he's the future for years.

Xix2565

International Debutant
We do play Wood, Stone or Archer when fit, but they're rarely fit.

Oh and there clearly is nothing wrong with those Anderson stats, unless you go off a weird metric, and yes if your batting scores a lot less than they should, it's harder for bowlers to take as many wickets, particularly 20, as they don't have an half-decent amount of runs to defend. This is so blatantly ****ing obvious as you would think it wouldn't need mentioning, but here we are, I am.
I mean the inverse is just as true though? Hard to make runs against scoreboard pressure when the opposition gets to milk your other bowlers for fun after seeing off Broaderson because they don't bowl enough overs to keep up the pressure and don't take enough wickets to make it easier for the rest. No need to be an ostrich about this.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Define recently, because only Anderson has had a decent average of the two, and both have terrible strike rates for pacers without the help of seaming conditions. Even from the start of the 2015 cricket season their tallies away from home are (including the UAE series vs Pakistan):

Anderson 108 wickets at 24/63 in 33 Tests (3.27 WPM)
Broad 105 wickets at 28/67 in 36 Tests (2.92 WPM)

Since the start of 2018:

Anderson 51 wickets at 22/62 in 17 Tests (3 WPM)
Broad 50 wickets at 28/66 in 18 Tests (2.78 WPM)

This, along with the general lack of other surrounding options (through injuries and little faith) that can take wickets while these two hold up an end is a big problem for England's bowling away from home. So it confuses me when people do act like the two haven't been a problem for England away from home.
Anderson - Takes 51 wickets @ 22 away from home in the past 3 years at 40 while being the fittest man in the team.

Fans - Why do people act like he hasn't been a problem for England away from home.

Xix2565

International Debutant
He's a good part if there were actual away strike bowlers in the England attack. Otherwise he gets good figures but isn't really helping England win consistently away from home.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a good part if there were actual away strike bowlers in the England attack. Otherwise he gets good figures but isn't really helping England win consistently away from home.
England have plenty of strike bowlers, it's not Anderson's fault that root bowls them half to death.

Xix2565

International Debutant
England have plenty of strike bowlers, it's not Anderson's fault that root bowls them half to death.
Anderson's issues are to do with his output away from home and the effects of that on the team. None of this can simply be blamed on batting problems, considering batters generally don't bowl in Tests.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson's issues are to do with his output away from home and the effects of that on the team. None of this can simply be blamed on batting problems, considering batters generally don't bowl in Tests.
HE, AVERAGES, 22, IN, THE, PAST, 3, YEARS, AWAY, FROM, HOME. He's bowled match defining spells In Aus, Sri Lanka, India, and a series defining spell in SA that went a big way in turning that series in england's favour. What else do you want the bloke to do FFS.

Starfighter

I'll happily rag on Anderson's away record, but who has done better? They keep trying Woakes but he can't get his average below one million, and everyone else is injured.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is great Anderson and Broad get to be a thing again. What kind of dickheads drop their 2 best bowlers to let inferior men build for the future. If you want in, then bowl so well you can not be left out. But to put guys in the team for building for the future in place of champs who have done amazing things over and over...
No wonder England are a bag of **** at the moment. I think Key will turn things around by telling support staff to gtfo and telling players to take control. Bowl broad and Anderson until they are fully broken, or retire.

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah i'm a noted clouderson critic but senile sentry's posting here is dross imho

and though i wouldn't go as far as nintendo in calling his recent spells in australia matchdefining (though some were excellent, they still got righteously fisted in every game - and unfair as it is in such walkovers it's hard to call a spell matchdefining from the losing side, which goes to show the arbitrarity of the superlative), his bowling in away conditions recently has been quite good

tooextracool

International Coach
This talk about Anderson and Broad’s away record is sort of irrelevant given that they are now in the frame for the home summer.

Listening to what Bob Key has said so far is a breath of fresh air, yet it’s hard to believe we ever needed to have this conversation. The next time England tour Australia is in 2025/26. Can we stop worrying about that and focus on winning the next series? There’s test championship points at stake and we’re dead last on the table

Xix2565

International Debutant
HE, AVERAGES, 22, IN, THE, PAST, 3, YEARS, AWAY, FROM, HOME. He's bowled match defining spells In Aus, Sri Lanka, India, and a series defining spell in SA that went a big way in turning that series in england's favour. What else do you want the bloke to do FFS.
I'm pointing out his limitations away from home as a problem. The answer isn't something Anderson can do because Anderson hasn't shown he can overcome this by himself since he's actually declined in this regard as has Broad. The answer lies in making sure they have a good set of strike bowlers to play with so that their weaknesses aren't as exposed and their strengths are enhanced.
I'll happily rag on Anderson's away record, but who has done better? They keep trying Woakes but he can't get his average below one million, and everyone else is injured.
That is one of the problems England has with their bowling. Like I have no real issues with any of the Anderson/Broad/Woakes coalition at home because they're going to do well in familiar conditions which is what any team needs to win, but they do need luck and better management of other bowlers if they want to improve their bowling attack.

Pothas

Anyway Brook is off to an incredible start this season, can see them giving him a shot.
Yeah Brook has always seemed like one of those players who it would not take much for him to be picked and his form this year is pretty ridiculous.

I know a lot of people like Foakes but didn't really understand why they didn't just go back to Bairstow keeping, could then easily bring Brook in. Pope will surely be back at some point as well.

Last edited:

grecian

I reckon we all maybe a bit close-minded. yeah Anderson is our best performer, but apparently we are not taking enough wickets away from home. So yeah he should be dropped for this reason, but I would go further Root may score the most runs away from home, but we don't score enough runs away from home or at home, so he must be part of the problem, so I would suggest we ditch the useless ****er, let's ditch all our decent players and just replace them with randoms because we aren't doing great, makes sense to me.