• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players tournament 2010

Howsie

International Captain
Kicks off this weekend with a round of 20/20 matches followed by a round of one dayers. The squads are:

India
Parthiv Patel (c), Cheteshwar Pujara (vc), Shikar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Sourav Tiwary, Kedar Jadhav, Naman Ojha, Abhinav Mukund, Umesh Yadev, Jaydev Unadkat, Vinay Kumar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jaskaran Singh, Piyush Chawla, Ravichandran Ashwin

New Zealand
Neil Broom, Jamie How, Bradley Scott, Shanan Stewart, Brent Arnel, Robert Young, Brendon Diamanti, Michael Bates, Colin de Grandhomme, Tim McIntosh, Neil Wagner, Luke Woodcock, Dean Brownlie, Nick Beard, Hamish Bennett

South Africa
Davy Jacobs (c), Pierre Joubert, Ryan Bailey, Pumelela Matshikwe, CJ DeVilliers, Daryn Smit, Dane Wilas, Basheer Walters, Reeza Hendricks, Jon-Jon Smuts, Farhaan Berhardien, Colin Ingram, Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, Aaron Phangiso, Craig Alexander

Australian Institute of Sport
Peter George, Josh Hazlewood, Nicholas Buchanan, Moises Henriques, Luke Feldman, Sean Abbott, Ben Dunk, James Faulkner, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Luke Pomersbach, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ryan Carters, Glenn Maxwell, Alister McDermott, Nathan Brain, Jason Floros, Nic Maddinson, Callum Ferguson

Fixtures - Emerging Players Tournament 2010

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kicks off this weekend with a round of 20/20 matches followed by a round of one dayers. The squads are:

India
Parthiv Patel (c), Cheteshwar Pujara (vc), Shikar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Sourav Tiwary, Kedar Jadhav, Naman Ojha, Abhinav Mukund, Umesh Yadev, Jaydev Unadkat, Vinay Kumar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jaskaran Singh, Piyush Chawla, Ravichandran Ashwin

New Zealand
Neil Broom, Jamie How, Bradley Scott, Shanan Stewart, Brent Arnel, Robert Young, Brendon Diamanti, Michael Bates, Colin de Grandhomme, Tim McIntosh, Neil Wagner, Luke Woodcock, Dean Brownlie, Nick Beard, Hamish Bennett

South Africa
Davy Jacobs (c), Pierre Joubert, Ryan Bailey, Pumelela Matshikwe, CJ DeVilliers, Daryn Smit, Dane W(V)ilas, Basheer Walters, Reeza Hendricks, Jon-Jon Smuts, Farhaan Berhardien, Colin Ingram, Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, Aaron Phangiso, Craig Alexander

Australian Institute of Sport
Peter George, Josh Hazlewood, Nicholas Buchanan, Moises Henriques, Luke Feldman, Sean Abbott, Ben Dunk, James Faulkner, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Luke Pomersbach, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ryan Carters, Glenn Maxwell, Alister McDermott, Nathan Brain, Jason Floros, Nic Maddinson, Callum Ferguson

Fixtures - Emerging Players Tournament 2010
**** squad but I believe RSA A is touring Sri Lanka hence that. Pierre Joubert is on a benefit and will retire soon and the rest are Mickey Mouse amatuer cricketers.

Good to see Alexander back though.

Briony

International Debutant
Yeah I noticed that SA's best young guns are in the 'A' squad. Interesting to see names among these squads you would have expected to have emerged by now.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
As expected, India have extremely strong batting strength but the bowling looks slightly suspect. Unadkat was picked for the India A tour of England based on the fact that he looked like he had a bit of nip in the U19 World Cup and he took 14 wickets in debut. However, he did little to nothing on the OD leg on the tour as well as getting tonked in the IPL. Jaskaran Singh played in the IPL and got tonked as well - he must have been picked simply on the fact that he had a nice side on action and got some swing - a most bizarre selection carried on from the tour of England. Yadav was picked on a solid IPL and displaying good pace, but he doesn't look like sustaining that pace throughout an OD game. Chawla, Ashwin, Vinay Kumar and Kulkarni are solid bowlers and I'd expect they should do well.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Anyone know what happened to Michael Hill? he was the Australain U19 Captain in 2008and I thought he would be an "emerging player" by now?

brockley

International Captain
Michael hill got few opportunities did little.
The AIS squad is made of
1 international options 2
2 schoolboy cricketers.
Michael is hardly those at the mo.
He will get chances with the vicx tho huss,white,hodge unavialable at times and jewelll.

Howsie

International Captain
Ha, Neil Wagner. He's not even one of the better left armers going around, why is he in Australia?

Flem274*

123/5
It's limited overs cricket, and he is good at that.

Can't think of many better left armers than him around either. The best leftie would be McKay followed by Trent Boult and maybe Scott, though considering you hate Thompson he shouldn't count because he's almost the same bowler.:p

Howsie

International Captain
It's limited overs cricket, and he is good at that.

Can't think of many better left armers than him around either. The best leftie would be McKay followed by Trent Boult and maybe Scott, though considering you hate Thompson he shouldn't count because he's almost the same bowler.:p
As he showed last season right? 12 wickets at 34 with a RPO of 6.48, he's terrible, absolutely terrible. I'd sooner take Michael Bates then I would Neil Wagner and that's saying something.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Why are Patel and Pujara batting above Pandey in a t20 match?
It won't be good for Pujara's selection in the test team too as he tends to struggle in T20's.

Good innings by Dhawan though. It seems that Aus vs India match went to the last ball.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India rolled over South Africa, with Unadkat taking four wickets, if anyone is interested.

Flem274*

123/5
As he showed last season right? 12 wickets at 34 with a RPO of 6.48, he's terrible, absolutely terrible. I'd sooner take Michael Bates then I would Neil Wagner and that's saying something.
Season before he was pretty effective.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of the teams seem to have a different definition of 'emerging' player to others.
I don't think it matters too much whether teams send experienced players or young players. It is a series against sides that should be slightly stronger than domestic level, if not in ability, then potentially.

Howsie

International Captain
The first round of the one day games started this afternoon, New Zealand won by 138 runs against AIS and South Africa beat India by 60.

Dean Brownlie has had a dam fine tournament so far, scored a couple of quick 50's in the 20/20's and then racked up a 100 today. He didn't look like much of a player from what I saw of him last season but he still managed to make quite a nice little record for himself (albeit on the flattest track going around the domestic scene).

New Zealand's second best spinner picked up a 5fer too, Nick Beard was economical in the 20/20's without picking up wickets so he's another who is having a decent enough tournament. The quicker the selectors realise just how good he is the better because he's a infinitely better spinner then a certain someone.