• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emerging Players tournament 2010

Howsie

International Captain
Netravalkar, on the other hand, hasn't made his FC debut. I am interested to see what becomes of him, whether he fades like Argal (who was similar in that he was successful in the previous U19 WC, didn't get FC chance immediately and was a very medium new ball bowler) or really kicks on when he gets a chance.
Netravalkar is still only 18 though, that leaves him with plenty of time to still develop more pace.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm blaming Wasim, and that's the story I'm sticking to :p Nah, seriously I think our bowlers are over coached. There's got to be a reason why the promising ones invariably start off decently and then fall back in line. I don't think it's merely a matter of being found out too. They even lose any pace thay had to start off with.
There is no such thing as over coaching, only wrong coaching. There is a reason that England, formerly famous for 80mph swingers, have everyone able to push over 90mph these days. Correct biomechanics training as well as correct strength work makes pretty much every 80mph bowler capable of pushing up to 90mph.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Netravalkar is still only 18 though, that leaves him with plenty of time to still develop more pace.
Do bowlers are 115-120kph at eighteen really tend to become 130-135kph? Especially in India where the trend is for bowlers to get slower rather than quicker as they play more cricket. Excuse the scepticism but it would seem that the chances of him speeding up are quite low.

Howsie

International Captain
Do bowlers are 115-120kph at eighteen really tend to become 130-135kph? Especially in India where the trend is for bowlers to get slower rather than quicker as they play more cricket. Excuse the scepticism but it would seem that the chances of him speeding up are quite low.
If they're given proper coaching I couldn't see why not, and given that he's in the under 19 set-up you would think and hope that's the case. New Zealand had a bowler (Anurag Verma) at the 2008 under 19 world cup who was 17 going on 18 and during that tournament he was real military medium in pace, he was only around 125k. Fast forward two years later and he's apparently up around the 140 to 145K mark and close to making his first class debut.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There is no such thing as over coaching, only wrong coaching. There is a reason that England, formerly famous for 80mph swingers, have everyone able to push over 90mph these days. Correct biomechanics training as well as correct strength work makes pretty much every 80mph bowler capable of pushing up to 90mph.
IMO there is. It's coaching/offering tips and advice over and beyond what is required. Similar concept to over-smartness. Just because you're a paid coach or a legend of the game who's been approached by the player doesn't mean you have an obligation to suggest any changes to his game. Sometimes its better to just let the bowler be. "You're doing fine. Just carry on" isn't bad advice.