• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

andmark

International Captain
It always will be I suspect. They can't get far when the cricket world is laughing at them for even thinking of the idea, let alone enforcing the idea.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Apparently they were doing 10 ball overs called ''ends'' or some bollocks. In its final form they'll be a big count down from 100 on the scoreboard: ''100, 99, 98...''. The countdown will be juxtaposed with the runs.

S.Kennedy

There was this story a few days ago also,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45515806

Rather confirms that there is more than an element of sour grapes over allowing India to capitalise on the ECB's own twenty20 format I feel (their Victorian predecessors were more astute here, the MCC and the Laws of Cricket).

There is of course an assumption that anyone else would be inclined to nick the idea of the hundred!

Borges

International Regular
What is all this trademark nonsense?
Will it prevent the Australian BCCI from creating a tournament with eleven nine ball overs and calling it the Stupendous Bash 99?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Who cares if there is a run rate or not?

The success or failure of this format is not going to come down to people saying "hmmm, I don't like this format because there is no run rate involved".

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If there is anything in cricket that I can hate more than IPL, it has to be this 100 ball ****-fest.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They've been trialling it for the last three days - apparently they've tried strategic timeouts, and batsmen not being able to cross when one is out, and other tinkering

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The run rate should be based on strike rate to make it easier.

RR of 140 means you score 140 off the 100 balls. Simple.

andmark

International Captain
Who cares if there is a run rate or not?

The success or failure of this format is not going to come down to people saying "hmmm, I don't like this format because there is no run rate involved".
I don't think anyone's argued that. In any limited overs cricket match, run rate is going to be an important factor.

S.Kennedy

The idea I think is to simplify it as much as possible for ''mums and kids''. Run rates are over complicated clutter.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
The "mums and kids" idea is interesting in theory. Given that those people outnumber cricket fans, an argument could be made that the ECB doesn't need pre-existing cricket fans for The Hundred to be successful. That said, most UK mothers have almost certainly been exposed to cricket, at least in passing, in the UK and so I'm unconvinced that simplifying things will get many new people into the game.

Borges

International Regular
This Hundred is going to be a rip-roaring success when it does finally take off; and I'm its greatest supporter. I will laugh scornfully at all the doomsayers. Ha, ha, ha.

S.Kennedy

The "mums and kids" idea is interesting in theory. Given that those people outnumber cricket fans, an argument could be made that the ECB doesn't need pre-existing cricket fans for The Hundred to be successful. That said, most UK mothers have almost certainly been exposed to cricket, at least in passing, in the UK and so I'm unconvinced that simplifying things will get many new people into the game.
There is always going to be people who don't like cricket.

S.Kennedy

This was 100-ball cricket, divided up into 10 batches of 10. Play switched ends every 10 balls, and bowlers could deliver five balls in a row or 10, depending on the captain’s intuition. A bowler had a maximum 20 balls in an innings.

But… gone were mention of ‘overs’. The umpires, after asking the fielding captain, were calling “that’s five” or “that’s 10”.
It is more complicated than actual Twenty20!