• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drafts being moved out of CC and into games

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why? If I want to post about Auspol, I go to the news and politics subbie. OT & General Sport likewise. Drafts are to cricket chat as me writing fan fiction about Man United actually winning something is to the UK football season thread. Peripheral at best

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, because
A) there is also a quiz game and some simulation leagues

B) we would like to encourage more such games (prediction games, cricket captain simulations, etc.)

Having"drafts "as part of the subforum description text is a good idea though.
Yeah I basically took the change the opposite to the way ankit (and Burgey) did. We have a really strong cricket forum games community, and I thought it'd be good to give them their own area and encourage them to get a bit funky. Some people took this as a slight, but at least from me it wasn't intended as "get the riff-raff out"; it was "give this community its own space to grow and experiment in". I've participated in drafts and sims here quite a bit... and in the last year actual ran an entire sim based on a draft. I'm no draft hater.

I think the Cricket Chat framework may make people reluctant to create heaps of threads based on some sort of participatory game(s), and maybe even rightly so when there's lots of cricket on. With it's own subforum you can go a bit ham with it. I think it could be positive. If I had to post all my CWPL threads in Cricket Chat I'd have created a lot less of them and it probably would have been less fun. I didn't feel it was somehow less valued because I got my own subforum for it; I felt the opposite.

The response I thought was kind of weird. I can understand people being concerned that it'd result in less engagement, and some of the arguments were fair... but some of them made no sense. "Drafts were the only reason I logged in to CricketWeb for months" may be true, but to me it's just not an argument because we haven't banned them. If drafts were in their own subforum you'd have still had a reason to log in to CricketWeb. Humans are irrational and marketing is real, but the arguments read more like some angry people thinking they'd been oppressed or cast aside rather than rational arguments as to why engagement would be lesser for people not looking to make some sort of point.

Burgey

Just hold still while I drink these tears.

Mmmmm. Sweet, sweet tears of weldone here. All the sweeter that he went to the trouble to find an 18 month old to do that drawing. Kudos.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I basically took the change the opposite to the way ankit (and Burgey) did. We have a really strong cricket forum games community, and I thought it'd be good to give them their own area and encourage them to get a bit funky. Some people took this as a slight, but at least from me it wasn't intended as "get the riff-raff out"; it was "give this community its own space to grow and experiment in". I've participated in drafts and sims here quite a bit... and in the last year actual ran an entire sim based on a draft. I'm no draft hater.
Steady on there George Clinton

Burgey

There is actually a range of shirts from my old club which were produced for about 15 years which have "Burgey" on them, but they were made for an annual intra-club nine-a-side tourney named after my grandfather. I usually wear one around the place when doing household chores/ exercising/ admiring myself in the mirror etc