• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft idea: Silent auction

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There will definitely be better balanced XIs, but no one is beating that batting line up and the inclusion of Akram.
I really think there will be a lot better line ups then yours, not least because you’ve not even got a pair of openers.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
All picks to date (again, given in approximate batting order):
ankitj: Gordon Greenidge, Virender Sehwag, Graeme Pollock, Sachin Tendulker, Dudley Nourse, Andy Flower, Shaun Pollock, Fred Trueman, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn McGrath
Himannv: Bill Lawry, Len Hutton, Neil Harvey, Stan McCabe, Allan Border, Keith Miller, Les Ames, Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, Clarrie Grimmett, Allan Donald
weldone: Graham Gooch, Don Bradman, AB de Villiers, Mahela Jayawardene, Garry Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Harold Larwood, Shane Warne, Joel Garner, Dale Steyn
marc71178: Barry Richards, Herbert Sutcliffe, Brian Lara, Steve Smith, Aubrey Faulkner, lan Botham, Alan Knott, Alan Davidson, Sydney Barnes
kingkallis: Jack Hobbs, Sunil Gavaskar, George Headley, Jacques Kallis, Wally Hammond, Frank Worrell, Malcolm Marshall, Jim Laker, Curtly Ambrose
oblongballs: Sanath Jayasuriya, Rahul Dravid, Viv Richards, Ricky Ponting, Kevin Pietersen, Mohammad Yousuf, Shakib Al Hasan, Mark Boucher, Wasim Akram, Simon Jones, Matthew Hoggard
harsh.ag: WG Grace, Bruce Mitchell, Kumar Sangakkara, Rohan Kanhai, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Waqar Younis, Dennis Lillee, Shane Bond, Muttiah Muralitharan

Round 2:
ankitj has spent $989,989 on 10 players, so must bid $10,011 for 1 player
Himannv has picked his XI (as above)
weldone has spent $999,999 on 10 players, so must $1 for 1 player
marc71178 has spent $825,000 on 9 players, so must bid a total of $175,000 on 2 players
kingkallis has spent $860,000 on 9 players, so must bid a total of $140,000 on 2 players
oblongballs has picked his XI (as above).
harsh.ag has spent $723,000 on 10 players, so must bid $277,000 for 1 player

Again, please let me know asap if the above doesn't tally with the picks you believe you made.

Otherwise, please send me your next bid/set of bids on any players not listed above. (Again, if you send your picks and someone then *does* find a problem with the above, you'll be allowed to change your bid).

Himannv

International Coach
01. Len Hutton
02. Bill Lawry
03. Neil Harvey
04. Stan McCabe
05. Allan Border**
06. Keith Miller
07. Les Ames+
08. Imran Khan*
09. Richard Hadlee
10. Clarrie Grimmett
11. Allan Donald

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gordon Greenidge
Virender Sehwag
Graeme Pollock
Sachin Tendulker
Dudley Nourse
Andy Flower +

Shaun Pollock (3)
Fred Trueman (2)
Bill O'Reilly (4)
Glenn McGrath (1)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Weldone's team is ****ing brutal!
His 1st round was truly brutal. In 2nd round, he could've done better. There are some very good players that are yet to be bid on after 2 rounds. Those could've been his picks. Likes of Jayawardene would've been available in latter rounds too.

kingkallis

International Coach
His 1st round was truly brutal. In 2nd round, he could've done better. There are some very good players that are yet to be bid on after 2 rounds. Those could've been his picks. Likes of Jayawardene would've been available in latter rounds too.
Actually weldone went defensive and picked players who nobody else were interested in. When I saw those players I too thought that he could have done better. Still its a fine fine team.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Actually weldone went defensive and picked players who nobody else were interested in. When I saw those players I too thought that he could have done better. Still its a fine fine team.
I got Gooch, AB and Mahela for $1 each. I didn't want to miss Larwood and Garner. (knew Lillee and Barnes were going to go to teams with more money).

A subcontinent freak like Mahela will be perfect in this middle-order of Bradman, AB and Sobers imo - all of whom are fine players in pace-friendly conditions.

kk is right - I went for batsmen who I thought I may get for $1 each.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
CricZo XI

1. Jack Hobbs /
2. Sunil Gavaskar /
3. George Headley /
4. Jacques Kallis / o (5)
5. Wally Hammond / o (7)
6. Frank Worrell / o (6)
8. Malcolm Marshall o / (1)
9. Jim Laker o (4)
11. Curtly Ambrose o (2)
This team is immense.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I got Gooch, AB and Mahela for $1 each. I didn't want to miss Larwood and Garner. (knew Lillee and Barnes were going to go to teams with more money).

A subcontinent freak like Mahela will be perfect in this middle-order of Bradman, AB and Sobers imo - all of whom are fine players in pace-friendly conditions.

kk is right - I went for batsmen who I thought I may get for $1 each.
If I were you I would make $1 bids on top drawer players. If even one of them went through that would've been a win. Larwood, Gooch and Jayawardene weren't going anywhere and they have enough decent substitutes anyway. Still your team is one of the finest.

KingKallis has done extremely well too. The player role for which top drawer picks are generally few are openers and spinners. He has covered openers with Hobbs and Gavaskar which is ludicrous.

Himannv

International Coach
The player role for which top drawer picks are generally few are openers and spinners.
I don't think spinners are all that hard to get and there are certainly enough good ones to fill 7 teams. Agree about openers though; there aren't that many great ones. Managed to snag Len Hutton for a reasonably low bid in the first round.

A $1 bid would have been enough to secure Tendulkar in round 1, and that's just mind blowing IMO. I think auction drafts probably work better with a more restricted player list. I assumed at least one person would bid 990K on Bradman and fill in the rest of their team with decent players, so it's astounding that weldone managed Bradman, Sobers, Gilchrist, Warne, Steyn, Garner, etc. It's an auto win for him really.

kingkallis

International Coach
If I were you I would make $1 bids on top drawer players. If even one of them went through that would've been a win. Larwood, Gooch and Jayawardene weren't going anywhere and they have enough decent substitutes anyway. Still your team is one of the finest.

KingKallis has done extremely well too. The player role for which top drawer picks are generally few are openers and spinners. He has covered openers with Hobbs and Gavaskar which is ludicrous.
I am going to make sure that each of these 11 contributes. 3 ATG fast bowlers, a legendary spinner, 2-3 all rounders, a fine gloveman and super solid Top 6 test level batsmen who can perform on any pitch or condition.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think spinners are all that hard to get and there are certainly enough good ones to fill 7 teams. Agree about openers though; there aren't that many great ones. Managed to snag Len Hutton for a reasonably low bid in the first round.

A $1 bid would have been enough to secure Tendulkar in round 1, and that's just mind blowing IMO. I think auction drafts probably work better with a more restricted player list. I assumed at least one person would bid 990K on Bradman and fill in the rest of their team with decent players, so it's astounding that weldone managed Bradman, Sobers, Gilchrist, Warne, Steyn, Garner, etc. It's an auto win for him really.
That's a big thing. The previous ones I ran we always had a selected list of players to bid for and it was one each each time. Biggest problem that had was people not emailing and ending up with crap players for high cost.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
No clashes in the 3rd round picks, so here's the final lists

ankitj: Gordon Greenidge, Virender Sehwag, Graeme Pollock, Sachin Tendulker, Dudley Nourse, Andy Flower, Kapil Dev, Shaun Pollock, Fred Trueman, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn McGrath
Himannv: Bill Lawry, Len Hutton, Neil Harvey, Stan McCabe, Allan Border, Keith Miller, Les Ames, Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee, Clarrie Grimmett, Allan Donald
weldone: Graham Gooch, Geoff Boycott, Don Bradman, AB de Villiers, Mahela Jayawardene, Garry Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Harold Larwood, Shane Warne, Joel Garner, Dale Steyn
marc71178: Barry Richards, Herbert Sutcliffe, Ken Barringont, Brian Lara, Steve Smith, Aubrey Faulkner, lan Botham, Alan Knott, Alan Davidson, Frank Tyson, Sydney Barnes
kingkallis: Jack Hobbs, Sunil Gavaskar, George Headley, Jacques Kallis, Wally Hammond, Frank Worrell, Denis Lindsay, Malcolm Marshall, Michael Holding, Jim Laker, Curtly Ambrose
oblongballs: Sanath Jayasuriya, Rahul Dravid, Viv Richards, Ricky Ponting, Kevin Pietersen, Mohammad Yousuf, Shakib Al Hasan, Mark Boucher, Wasim Akram, Simon Jones, Matthew Hoggard
harsh.ag: WG Grace, Bruce Mitchell, Kumar Sangakkara, Rohan Kanhai, Michael Clarke, Steve Waugh, Michael Hussey, Waqar Younis, Dennis Lillee, Shane Bond, Muttiah Muralitharan

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not as good as some of the others, but a decent eleven. Love the bowling line-up personally.

Still Waters XI
WG Grace
Bruce Mitchell

Rohan Kanhai
Michael Clarke
Steve Waugh (c)
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Michael Hussey

Dennis Lillee
Shane Bond
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan