• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominating the scoring

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My best contributions here lie in making 4* (4b, 1x4) in a four-over unbroken and match-winning last-wicket stand of about 40 for my school's U15 side, and (less formally) down at the local park, batting with PY, making my way to 7* as Peter clubbed a century...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
That's the last 51 balls (post-lunch? post-tea? don't remember fully) of the innings, having gone significantly slower before the session interval. Sources were from the local newspaper at the time, I believe.
Neil is right. I made a mistake.

These 51 balls were in one stretch after lunch and yielded 141 runs.

Thanks for the correction guys. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
My best contributions here lie in making 4* (4b, 1x4) in a four-over unbroken and match-winning last-wicket stand of about 40 for my school's U15 side, and (less formally) down at the local park, batting with PY, making my way to 7* as Peter clubbed a century...
I once (I think in 1979)), hit 52 out of 59 for at Bombay's Khar Gymkhana. I must hesitate to add that it was an intra company match between the Marketing & Sales versus Operation of a company I worked for (now LG Polymers) and the oppositin was no great shake :p

They were kept pitching short and with shortish square boundaries I kept enjoying myself. :p

Plus I was the only batsman (reasonable) in my side so there was no hope of any major contribution from others :)

bryce

International Regular
zinzan12 said:
I'm pretty sure Glenn Turner scored 143 out of Worc's 169 and it was a record at the time being 84 % of the teams total. That was in the eraly 1980s, it may have been beaten since.
yeah i was about to mention that, it was in 1977 and he actually scored 141* out of a total team score of 169 with the next highest score being 7

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Is that anything to do with the LG that sponsor the World ratings?
Yes its the same Korean Company but they are a huge Corporation and into a variety of businesses. This company produces Polystyrene, a thermoplastic material at Visakhapatnam.

I think when they sponsor cricket they are mainly trying to promote their consumer products which are electronics, whitegoods, mobile phones etc.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
This is pretty impressive. The opening pair of Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana put on an opening stand of 70 before Kalu fell - for zero. Jayasuriya had scored 66* by that stage, with 4 extras. It also happened to be the fastest ODI half-century ever. :happy:
Yes, that takes the bisciut because it was an international, i would understand if it was an U-15 game.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
I am usually a bowler ( i.e. No. 11)but once, i had the chance to come in at no. 8. in a 20/20 school game. the first 6 batsmen contributed a grand total of 6 runs in the first two overs ( the other team's second bowler took 5 of those wickets in his first over. all his first 4 balls were in the blockhole, unplayable.) I came at 8 but i was at the bowler's end coz the 6th wicket fell off the last ball of the second over. The other batsman was our no.1 who had hit all the runs we had so far and had watched as all the 6 wicket fell. to cut along story short, we had 150 odd runs to get in 18 overs and unfortunately for us, it started raining in the 8th over and we were 112-6 and both of us were on 48*. I had slogged all those runs in 12 balls. that's 12 balls -2 blocked, 6 fours and 4 sixes. we had made an arrangement not to run, just have an over each.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> He once scored 63 out of 65 against them in 1894 in just 30 minute !

http://cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/5/f5430.html

In the Gloucs second innings Jessop came in at 4/1 and was the second man out at 70. He scored - the obvious guess is right one !

>> This is pretty impressive. The opening pair of Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana put on an opening stand of 70 before Kalu fell - for zero. Jayasuriya had scored 66* by that stage, with 4 extras

http://cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/15/f15918.html

Stan McCabe in his famed 232 at Trentbridge in 1938, scored every one of the last 66 runs in the Australian innings (no extras).

More details of Alletson's innings :

http://plus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/ARTICLES/PLAYERS/ALLETSON_GREAT_INNS

In the Robins - Young last wicket stand of 75, extras and Young contributed 0 runs each.

http://cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/17/f17103.html

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
last year in a grade cricket match in melbourne, melbourne cc needed 111 to win outright. brad hodge opened the batting and when melbourne reached the score for the loss of 2 wickets, hodge had made 97* off 71 balls. he had been trying to rig the game to make sure that he could get his century. on the final ball, he was trying to hit a 2 but hit it too well, and it went for 4, and cost him any chance of his ton.