• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominating the scoring

thierry henry

International Captain
An hour or so ago I turned on the radio and heard the commentary of Peter Fulton bringing up his 100 in the State Shield game between Canterbury and CD. Nothing extraordinary about that, except that the Canterbury score when he brought up his century was 128/2 (or was it 130? Something like that anyway). I thought this was quite remarkable.

Anyway, it got me thinking. Do any of you statistics buffs out there know the record for the lowest ever team score when a player has brought up an individual century, at domestic OD/FC/test/ODI levels? Do you recall any times when a player has totally dominated the scoring?
 

Camel56

Banned
I cant remember the exact game but a year or so ago, one of the west indies openers brought up his hundred with something like 120 on the board with no loss.
 

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Camel56 said:
I cant remember the exact game but a year or so ago, one of the west indies openers brought up his hundred with something like 120 on the board with no loss.
Would've been Gayle
 

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
thierry henry said:
An hour or so ago I turned on the radio and heard the commentary of Peter Fulton bringing up his 100 in the State Shield game between Canterbury and CD. Nothing extraordinary about that, except that the Canterbury score when he brought up his century was 128/2 (or was it 130? Something like that anyway). I thought this was quite remarkable.

Anyway, it got me thinking. Do any of you statistics buffs out there know the record for the lowest ever team score when a player has brought up an individual century, at domestic OD/FC/test/ODI levels? Do you recall any times when a player has totally dominated the scoring?
May 1899
Cambridge University versus Yorkshire

The university , batting first lost three wickets for just 40 runs. In came young Jessop. When Cambridge were all out 206 runs later, Jessop had made 171 of them.

In a partnership of 93 for the 4th wicket Sullivan contributed 3 runs.
 

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Playing for a Surrey club on an off day from the county season in 1907, Jessop scored 200 while the batsman at the other end added 14 !!! :-O :-O
 

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I seem to recall a game where Slater was wrongly given not out on a run out call and he had scored something like 130 out of 195 against England.
 

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yorkshire seem to have been Jessop's favourite whipping team.

He once scored 63 out of 65 against them in 1894 in just 30 minute !

In 1997 he scored 101 out of 118 against them in just 40 minutes of batting !! :-O :-O
 

Link

State Vice-Captain
i played in a game last season, where the opening bat brought up his 50 in the 9th over and the team had exactly 50 on the board.
 

a massive zebra

International Vice-Captain
Jessop scored 160 in an hour against West Indies in 1900 and one of their bowlers had the unforgetable figures of 3-0-72-0.
 

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The most extraordinary hitting in the entire history og the game came in a Notts versus sussex game in May 191. A player called Alletson was immortalised in an innnings of 189 in 51 deliveries. John Arllot has written a complete book on it called Alletson's innings.

It is he alongwith help from Roy Webber reconstructed the innings , bal by ball, from the original score sheet.

He was caught off the 51st ball after having done this to the earlier 50

04412420160424640634402146043466044460000442261440
:eek: :eek: :eek:
 

a massive zebra

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
The most extraordinary hitting in the entire history og the game came in a Notts versus sussex game in May 191. A player called Alletson was immortalised in an innnings of 189 in 51 deliveries. John Arllot has written a complete book on it called Alletson's innings.

It is he alongwith help from Roy Webber reconstructed the innings , bal by ball, from the original score sheet.

He was caught off the 51st ball after having done this to the earlier 50

04412420160424640634402146043466044460000442261440
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sources? I struggle to believe he only faced 51 balls considering his innings lasted 90 minutes and over rates in those days were over 20 an hour.
 

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sources? I struggle to believe he only faced 51 balls considering his innings lasted 90 minutes and over rates in those days were over 20 an hour.
Maybe they took a while to find the balls he likely lost on some of the sixes! :)
 

Camel56

Banned
SJS said:
Yorkshire seem to have been Jessop's favourite whipping team.

He once scored 63 out of 65 against them in 1894 in just 30 minute !

In 1997 he scored 101 out of 118 against them in just 40 minutes of batting !! :-O :-O
Jessop seems to have had a long career. 1894 - 1997. Impressive.
 

a massive zebra

International Vice-Captain
Don Bradman scored 100 runs off 22 balls in three eight-ball overs during his innings at Blackheath, NSW, a Blue Mountains town some 60 miles west of Sydney, on 3 November 1931. Playing for Blackheath against Lithgow in a match to celebrate the opening of an experimental malthoid pitch, Bradman, having scored 38 off the first over he received, and 33 in his second, hit the sixth ball of his third over for four to bring up the fastest hundred ever made in any form of cricket.

44266664/00200000/66424461/64466464/16611446. (Red italics denote balls faced by his partner, Wendell Bill) .
 

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure Glenn Turner scored 143 out of Worc's 169 and it was a record at the time being 84 % of the teams total. That was in the eraly 1980s, it may have been beaten since.
 

Top