• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominating the scoring

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a massive zebra said:
Don Bradman scored 100 runs off 22 balls in three eight-ball overs during his innings at Blackheath, NSW, a Blue Mountains town some 60 miles west of Sydney, on 3 November 1931. Playing for Blackheath against Lithgow in a match to celebrate the opening of an experimental malthoid pitch, Bradman, having scored 38 off the first over he received, and 33 in his second, hit the sixth ball of his third over for four to bring up the fastest hundred ever made in any form of cricket.

44266664/00200000/66424461/64466464/16611446. (Red italics denote balls faced by his partner, Wendell Bill) .

Wow !! I never knew that !

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Yeh, quite amazing. However I thought Bradman only hit the ball along the ground.. Perhaps because it was an exhibition match ?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I posted something on this earlier in another thread:

The innings in question was a non-FC match, with Bradman playing for an invitational Blackheath XI vs Lithgow Pottery Cricket Club on Nov. 3 1931. According to Bradman's biography ('The Don'), he was on 54 when an offspinner by the name of Bill Black (who never played FC or Test cricket) was brought on. Bradman is reported to have asked the keeper 'What does this fellow bowl?', to which the keeper replied 'Don't you remember this bloke? He bowled you out a few weeks ago [in a previous tour]. He's been boasting about it ever since.'
Black apparently set an ambitiously attacking field. Bradman hit the first ball for 6 over mid-on, then hit a further 6,4,2,4,4,6,1 (retains strike for next over), 6,4,4,6,6,4,6,4, (partner hits single) 6,6,1 (partner hits single) 4,4,6.
In that sequence of three eight-ball overs he went from 54* to 154* in 22 balls and 12 mins, the fastest 100 runs ever recorded at any level of cricket. He went on to make 256, with 29 4's and 14 6's.

He had also taken 4/49 in the first innings bowling leggies :p

C_C

International Captain
what was truly awesome about that match was Devon Smith's hitting....that century was a rare show of aggression.....the cover drive six he hit off Ntini will stay in my mind for a long time....simply unbelievable.

twctopcat

International Regular
C_C said:
what was truly awesome about that match was Devon Smith's hitting....that century was a rare show of aggression.....the cover drive six he hit off Ntini will stay in my mind for a long time....simply unbelievable.
Was a great match indeed. Thing i loved about Gayle's was that he got to his ton off 79 balls (i think) then just stopped. Like he just wanted to prove a point to the saffies, and he did.

C_C

International Captain
Yup
Gayle has had a good year in test cricket...50+ average and pulled up his career average from 34 to 38ish....lets see if he can continue if he was a one-season wonder......
This season is gonna be tough for him though.....a rejuvinated Ntini and Pollock, the pace of Akhtar and the might of the Aussies....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Another interesting fact about dominating the scoring is that the record for the highest percentage of a team score in a test match may well be the oldest record of any kind still standing in test cricket.

During the very first test match in 1877, Charles Bannerman faced the first ball in test cricket, and scored the first ever test match hundred when he hit 165 out of the Australian score of 245. This was 67.35% of the Australian total, and nobody has ever managed a higher share of a team score.

Bannerman's 165 is also the highest score on debut by an Australian, after Michael Clarke fell 14 runs short of him in October.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:
The most extraordinary hitting in the entire history og the game came in a Notts versus sussex game in May 191. A player called Alletson was immortalised in an innnings of 189 in 51 deliveries. John Arllot has written a complete book on it called Alletson's innings.

It is he alongwith help from Roy Webber reconstructed the innings , bal by ball, from the original score sheet.

He was caught off the 51st ball after having done this to the earlier 50

:eek: :eek: :eek:
That's the last 51 balls (post-lunch? post-tea? don't remember fully) of the innings, having gone significantly slower before the session interval. Sources were from the local newspaper at the time, I believe.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cricinfo Player Page

Alletson's great innings was played at Hove on Saturday, May 20, 1911, a Saturday, in those days the third day in county fixtures. When the seventh wicket of Nottinghamshire's second innings fell, at twenty minutes to one, they were only 9 runs on. At this point, Alletson came in: he scored 47 in 50 minutes before lunch, which was taken when Tom Oates was out, at 260 for 9. So Nottinghamshire were 84 ahead with one wicket standing, a situation which promised so quick and easy a win for Sussex that few people were on the ground when play began again, at 2.15 on a dull afternoon. Only one original score - altered and inked over in the Nottinghamshire book - still exists, and many of the timings given in contemporary press reports are manifestly inaccurate. But it is certain that in 40 minutes between 2.15 and 2.55, Alletson scored 142 runs and, with Riley (10), put on 152 for the last wicket. At one point he scored 115 off seven overs, including 34 - 4, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 6 - from an over off Killick which included two no-balls. Apart from savage square cuts - one of which wrecked the pavilion bar while another smashed the clock - most of his runs came from long, low drives between mid-on and extra-cover. Tim Killick admitted that he was frightened to bowl at Alletson lest he should hit one straight back at him and injure him.

tadeusz

State 12th Man
The other week one of the openers in my team (Safety Bay D Grade) was second man out for 143 when the score was 192. Don't know if this counts for much.

Hoggy31

International Captain
I remember a couple of years ago in Hobart where Langer was on like 53 and Hayden was like on 5 or soemthing, i've got a picture in a magazine somewhere.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Hoggy31 said:
I remember a couple of years ago in Hobart where Langer was on like 53 and Hayden was like on 5 or soemthing, i've got a picture in a magazine somewhere.
I was going to say that:( but Langer was on 50, Hayden 1 and the total score was 54.

I have got Langers book :) He says it was one of his most proudest achievments and he has a framed picture of it in his house

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
This is pretty impressive. The opening pair of Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana put on an opening stand of 70 before Kalu fell - for zero. Jayasuriya had scored 66* by that stage, with 4 extras. It also happened to be the fastest ODI half-century ever. :happy:

Swervy

International Captain
I was once playing a match 2 years ago...I made 87, was out with the score 94 for 5, 3 extras and one of my team mates hitting a 4 the over before I was out.

In that innings I put on 70 with someone...he was out for a duck.

I was quite chuffed to be honest..somedays the middle of your bat feels just too big and good to be fair :D

(sorry for bragging and all that

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's nothing, I once scored ALL the runs the team did while I was batting!

Admittedly I only scored 1, but it was still 100%!

willb88

Cricket Spectator
I was playing in a 20 over U13's game a few season ago. We were chasing 153. We knocked them off in 13 overs for no wicket. I scored 26* from 20-odd balls which I thought was good, the other guy (slogger) was 116* from 49 balls.