• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Still doesn't adress the point that Warne as a bat in ODIs is basically useless. But whatever works for you.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hadlee
Barnes
Murali
Steyn
McGrath
Marshall
Imran
Ambrose
Warne
O'Reilly
Waqar
Lillee
Grimmett
Trueman
Donald

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just say you want to big up your Aussie heros and we can stop having this argument. Stop attempting to sound objective; you aren't fooling anyone.
You're being aggressive and hostile and I don't know why.

You were the one who brought up ODIs. I made the point (in a different thread I might add) that when you pick McGrath and Garner you need the rest of your bowlers to be able to hold a bat. Picking Murali means your 9-10-11 average 9, 7 and 4. Picking Warne over Murali brings that up to 13-9-4 which is a bit more comfortable. You could argue Saqlain instead which makes it 11-9-4. I really think having a 9 who averages 9 is asking for trouble. Even Wasim, Warne, Garner and McGrath is a weak tall for ODIs. One could make a strong argument for Hadlee over McGrath for that reason.

But this discussion is about tests. I was making the point that playing Imran because he bats better as one of your four bowlers isn't really worth it when you already have Hadlee and Marshall in your tail.

It's pretty much universally accepted that McGrath is the second or third best quick of all time behind Marshall and possibly Hadlee. It makes much more sense to pick him. You could easily argue for Ambrose as well and I'd accept that.

Imran was an exceptional bowler, but he wasn't quite as good as a few others. It has nothing to do with a perceived bias, except perhaps to players who were statistically better and who performed in all conditions.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
15 Donald
14 Barnes
13 Grimmett
12 Waqar
11 Trueman
10 Lillee
9 OReilly
8 Imran
7 Steyn
6 Warne
5 Ambrose
4 Hadlee
3 McGrath
2 Marshall
1 Muralitharan

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McGrath
Murali
Hadlee
Barnes
O'Reilly
Grimmett
Marshall
Steyn
Ambrose
Warne
Waqar
Trueman
Imran
Lillee
Donald

trundler

Marshall will be behind McGrath based on adjusted averages and Hadlee will be ahead of both based on PPI and medal performances.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
1.Muralitharan
2.Hadlee
3.Mcgrath
4.Steyn
5.Warne
6.Marshall
7.Imran
8.Ambrose
9.Barnes
10.Lillee
11.Waqar
12.Trueman
13.Donald
14.Grimmett
15.O'Reilly

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

1 Murali
2 Hadlee
3 Mcgrath
4 Marshall
5 Barnes
6 Imran
7 Warne
8 Trueman
9 O'Reilly
10 Steyn
11 Ambrose
12 Lillee
13 Grimmett
14 Donald
15 Waqar

trundler

Aaaand there's Warne v Murali. I feel as if this is all of CC minus tour threads condensed into one.