• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah there was this meeting the other day and 11 is more than 15 now. They obviously didn't send you the memo.
LOL, I was asking because sometimes it's like "well, we know Bradman is the greatest, but who other than him"...in a way it's like discussing the Beatles as the greatest band. I wasn't sure if he was using the rankings without mentioning Bradman at all because he'd obviously be the best at everything :p.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like what the new ranking did to G. Pollock. Prefer the original one, with possibly the cap on career points removed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Damn, and I was expecting Tikolo.Edit: Bradman played 4 Tests at Headingley, and in every single one he hit one of the finest innings of all time. Well.~Well done DoG. Been fascinating reading.
I think I'm right in saying that no-one's scored more Test runs at Headingley than Bradman.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The gap between Bradman and Sobers is a massive 544 points. And yet there are only 288 points between Sobers and Polly Umrigar at no.100. The Don has 15 great innings. That's 1 per every 5.33 innings played. Those two facts alone should convince anyone that Bradman is not only the greatest cricketer ever but probably the best sportsman of all time when you look at the sheer chasm between himself and the rest of the field.
And in the 1930s it works out at one great innings every 3.76 innings or 2.53 matches (13 great innings in 49 innings and 33 matches). This significant improvement on his overall career record is surely unrivaled by any other batsman in any other decade.
Ha ha, that's utterly ludicrous.

The gap between 1 and 2 is twice as big as the gap between 2 and 100.

And in the 1930s he averaged two geat innings per series.

Just let that sink in a moment.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Damn, and I was expecting Tikolo.Edit: Bradman played 4 Tests at Headingley, and in every single one he hit one of the finest innings of all time. Well.~Well done DoG. Been fascinating reading.
I think I'm right in saying that no-one's scored more Test runs at Headingley than Bradman.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
DoG it goes without saying but this has been a phenomenal effort. Fascinating from start to finish. Congratulations. :)

Flametree

International 12th Man
Echo all the thanks for sharing this with us DoG. One question - what happens to Headley's rating if you remove his post-war tests? Obviously his career length would shorten dramatically, but his average would go up, as would his percentage of games played, significant/great innings per test? Does his rating go up significantly?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very interesting exercise. I kind of missed the beginning of this process and have only just seen how low Martin Crowe is - as the only Kiwi representative on the list and unarguably NZ's best batsman of all time. I guess guys with better records statistically (Dempster, Donnelly) just didn't play enough Tests. Would they be ranked at all? How far out of the top 100 did Bert Sutcliffe come?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd be right and so would GF (twice :p)

And whilst we are all pondering the sheer awe of DG Bradman lets just put that little record into perspective.......The Don is indeed the highest test run scorer at Headingley and he played 6 innings on the ground, next highest is Boycott.......who scored his runs across 10 more innings.

In his 6 innings Bradman amassed an incredible 963 runs at Headingley at an average of 192.6.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Been a terrific and enlightening read DOG, only caught this last thread so will have to go back and read the others now........thanks so much for the effort, amazing work!!

If I could make one criticism though, there must be a flaw somewhere in the calculations for Ian Bell not to make the top 10??:ph34r:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Bell would probably be in the top 100 now after the Ashes. I'll have to check that out.

Heath, Bert Sutcliffe has 637 points.

The top kiwis are:
Crowe 726
Turner 668
Fleming 662
Sutcliffe 637
Dempster 562

Bradman did have 11 great innings but on recalculation of the formula this gets bumped up to 15. I will recalculate Lara's soon.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Anyway, I want to thank NUFAN for making the suggestion that Kallis didn't deserve 2 of his great innings. This has led me to recalculating how I rate innings.

I am also incorporating innings-by-innings bowling averages for opposition bowling attacks.

Thanks to the feedback from all of you, these ratings will only get better.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anyway, I want to thank NUFAN for making the suggestion that Kallis didn't deserve 2 of his great innings. This has led me to recalculating how I rate innings.

I am also incorporating innings-by-innings bowling averages for opposition bowling attacks.

Thanks to the feedback from all of you, these ratings will only get better.
Cricket forever Kallisball never.

Brilliant work mate! Sorry for the extra work, but I imagine this thing is your baby now so its enjoyable to work on :)