• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen: 50-26

Lostman

State Captain
Good stuff, really enjoying this.
Curious to see where Sanga ends up (unless I some how missed him:unsure:)
Reckon he has a lot more significant innings than most people expect.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Oh, you didn't miss Sanga. Not by a long shot.

If only Compton played in a more successful team in the late 1940s, then he might have made the top 25.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was wrong about Amla making the top 25 then.

Seriously though, where the hell is Younis Khan?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Younis Khan will be in the next 2 to be announced.

Younis, Clarke, Chanderpaul, Sangakkara, Kallis and Tendulkar are the current players who I expect to be left.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Technically MoYo isn't retired either. Will be very surprised if Younis isn't one of the next 2 revealed.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
am quite disappointed to see compton's name come up so early. expected him to crack the top 25. interesting to say the least.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
am quite disappointed to see compton's name come up so early. expected him to crack the top 25. interesting to say the least.
Agreed, what a player. That away average must have hurt him - no doubt in no small part due to his dismal 50/51 series.

There are quite a few guys still to come - Younus, MoYo, Lloyd and Hayden among them - that I was convinced would be in the lower reaches of the top 40 (and indeed was surprised were that high at all). Now some of them will actually make the top 30.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden was always going to be higher than expected because Aus won a **** load when he was playing. I imagine the 380 helps his score a load too.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Really though we would have seen LLoyd, Chanderpaul and Younis before Worrell and May.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden was always going to be higher than expected because Aus won a **** load when he was playing. I imagine the 380 helps his score a load too.
Yeah, I rate Hayden higher than most but I thought his adjusted and away averages might hurt him. You're right though - being a key contributor to a phenomenally successful team must more than make up for it. I'd imagine it's similar for Clive Lloyd.

coolkuna

Cricket Spectator
Innings were ratings as follows:
1st test: 75 (5.29)
2nd test: 72 (7.72) & 67 (7.29)
3rd test: 18 (1.33)
4th test: 120 (12.69) & 12 (0.91)

Series I/W average of 5.87.

Lara's series against Australia in 1999 had an I/W average of 9.17.
Thanks DoG. You had a post with the ratings for the greatest Test innings of all time.
IIRC, Lara's innings came out on top with a rating of 24 or 25.
Can you point me to that post? I am unable to find it through CW search.

Days of Grace

International Captain
32. Michael Clarke (Australia) (2004-present day)

Career Average: 52.34
Adjusted career average: 48.41
Adjusted away average: 39.76
Adjusted top-opposition average: 48.46
Top Tier centuries: 4
Second tier centuries: 7
Third tier centuries: 8
Significant innings: 36
Significant innings per match: 0.39

Great innings: 5
2nd Test: England v Australia at Lord's, Jul 16-20, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.84
1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town, Nov 9-11, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 16.53
2nd Test: Australia v India at Sydney, Jan 3-6, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 16.56
1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Brisbane, Nov 9-13, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.81
2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Adelaide, Nov 22-26, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.22

Innings worth average: 3.28

25 Test peak adjusted average: 58.96 (2010-2013)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 54.13 (2008-2013)

Quality Points: 566
Career Points: 98
Peak Points: 125
TOTAL POINTS: 789

31. Younis Khan (Pakistan) (2000-present day)

Career Average: 50.74
Adjusted career average: 47.44
Adjusted away average: 46.41
Adjusted top-opposition average: 45.77
Top Tier centuries: 5
Second tier centuries: 7
Third tier centuries: 5
Significant innings: 34
Significant innings per match: 0.41

Great innings: 2
1st Test: New Zealand v Pakistan at Auckland, Mar 8-12, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.73
3rd Test: India v Pakistan at Bangalore, Mar 24-28, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 15.53

Innings worth average: 3.37

25 Test peak adjusted average: 60.99 (2005-2009)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 54.68 (2003-2012)

Quality Points: 563
Career Points: 96
Peak Points: 133
TOTAL POINTS: 792

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Really though we would have seen LLoyd, Chanderpaul and Younis before Worrell and May.
May be this ranking exposes some of our biases? May be our perceptions are colored rather than this system being faulty?

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
This is really good stuff DoG, that innings a couple days ago if Australia wins might switch these two around! Both exceptional batsmen though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
May be this ranking exposes some of our biases? May be our perceptions are colored rather than this system being faulty?
True. I personally am not surprised with Chanderpaul being rated highly, he is very underrated imo.