• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do 2 wrongs make a right?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I didn't watch the second T20I between Pakistan and England, but going over the match thread some of the guys mentioned that after being given not out on a plumb LBW, the umpire gave Bopara a bad decision to make up for his own mistake earlier.

So is it this a fair decision, or should umpires forget the bad decision that they have made and continue with the match without any bias?

uvelocity

International Coach
nah they should put it out of their mind and allow chance to dictate the next mistake. Otherwise it's downhill skiing.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Wait, re-reading the OP, I think no, the umpires should throw an earlier mistake out of their mind.

If by chance a second 'mistake' compensates for first one, it's good ultimately in that that a fan doesn't end with the feeling that a bad decision influenced the outcome of the match.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Another mistake almost never counteracts the first one properly anyway, because of how the game situation changes. It's just crap umpiring.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
First thing they taught us at Umpiring School - don't make a second mistake to compensate for an earlier one. All you do is make two mistakes, and both teams know you made them. Undermines your authority if you don't just accept your mistake and move on.

Plus it makes you look like a terrible umpire, constantly making mistakes and trying to 'even up' because of it. Have faith in the decision you made at the time.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Another mistake almost never counteracts the first one in terms of the game situation anyway, because of how the game situation changes. It's just crap umpiring.
I agree with that but as a fan, wouldn't you be happy if the umpire compensated for his bad mistake against your team. I certainly would be.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Finn flooring Ajmal was a perfect example of the "two wrongs making a right" principle in action. You don't wanna be shoved to the floor by a 6' 8" brick outhouse then learn to ****ing bowl.

Seriously, have no doubt it goes on in all sports. Seems to happen in football more often; quite often one feels "the ref owes us one" after a dodgy or marginal decision goes against one's preferred side and, as often as not, there's an equalising decision later on.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah football refs do it all the time. As a result there's an advantage to be gained from acting like the marginal decision that just went against your team was the shocker of the century, because if you can make the ref believe it even a little bit, it'll affect his next decision. I think that fact alone makes trying to even out bad decisions awful, awful refereeing.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Maybe the umpire made a genuine mistake again, rather than giving a second wrong call on purpose.

But an ump should call it as he sees it, not make intentional mistakes.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
IF two wrongs make a wright - then three wrongs are wrong again- and do four wrongs even it up again? Clearly not - therefore think two wrongs do not make a right.
I have seen so many make up calls for plumb lbws in cricket that aren't given initially - just give the 1st one.