• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
That would be a dumb comparison. Davidson's 44 tests were over 11 years. He had a similar career length as Waqar just didn't play as many Tests
What was the main reason for him playing so few tests? Injury? Don't know about it and so genuinely asking.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah look i like Ashwin and i like @CricAddict but idk how he’s better equal to Donald as a bowler

on the other hand if this is because subs thinks Ashwin is a club standard bowler then by all means i endorse this counter rating him high to make up for it :clap:
Yeah, I retract that statement. Agreed that Donald and Garner are definitely better than Ashwin. The under-rating led to the over-rating as you have rightly mentioned.

shortpitched713

International Captain
That would be a dumb comparison. Davidson's 44 tests were over 11 years. He had a similar career length as Waqar just didn't play as many Tests
Sucks to not play Tests, I guess. Should have Test spammed like the English. Because we're not just counting 1 Test as if it were 2, that's just silly.

shortpitched713

International Captain
4 tests an year looks so less considering there were no other formats too at that time. But if that is the only reason, he should definitely not be penalized for it. He can't do anything about the schedule.
So penalize more modern players instead, who have more substantial records (and greater probabilities to mess up those vaunted in country X stats as well)?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So penalize more modern players instead, who have more substantial records (and greater probabilities to mess up those vaunted in country X stats as well)?
Bro what is this logic? You don't have to "penalize" anyone. Even just using this "country X stats" metric you've brought up, playing more Tests isn't a disadvantage. It doesn't just give a player more chance to "mess up" the stats, it also does the opposite and gives them more chance to fix those stats.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Bro what is this logic? You don't have to "penalize" anyone. Even just using this "country X stats" metric you've brought up, playing more Tests isn't a disadvantage. It doesn't just give a player more chance to "mess up" the stats, it also does the opposite and gives them more chance to fix those stats.
Sorry, it doesn't have to do with number of Tests, it has more to do with number of countries for more modern players. That's held against them if they have even one country in which they do poor, whereas players in the past simply didn't have as many countries in which they had to maintain their nice, clean averages.

TheJediBrah

Sorry, it doesn't have to do with number of Tests, it has more to do with number of countries for more modern players. That's held against them if they have even one country in which they do poor, whereas players in the past simply didn't have as many countries in which they had to maintain their nice, clean averages.
That's just stats nerds here. No one worth listening to actually cares.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Nor were there as many minnows/developing nations to boost these "nice clean averages". Bradman played over 70% of his Tests in Ashes series where he averaged a shade under 90.

TheJediBrah

Nor were there as many minnows/developing nations to boost these "nice clean averages". Bradman played over 70% of his Tests in Ashes series where he averaged a shade under 90.
^correct. @shortpitched713 everything you're bringing up as a disadvantage for modern players is from certain points of view just as much, if not more, an advantage for them
Every era did have a minnow. NZ, SA, India, Pak, SL etc all started as minnows before they developed to strong test nations.
also England

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Every era did have a minnow. NZ, SA, India, Pak, SL etc all started as minnows before they developed to strong test nations.
True. A classic example being one from Bradman's era. Walter Hammond played less than 40% of his Tests in Ashes series. The other 60%+ were against nations developing as cricketing strengths.

subshakerz

International Coach
Following our latest round of voting two bowlers, who have divided opinion more than most, have been added to our list. Both Ashwin and Anderson have their fans and detractors. I say this without wishing to enter debates on their standings. What I do find interesting is that, over the past 24 months, both have produced figures better than their overall averages. This would suggest that both might improve their standings on the 2 polls (pacers and spinners) conducted in 2022. Strangely only one achieved that.
In Anderson's case, he has retained his 19th spot on the pacers' rankings, having moved ahead of Roberts but being overtaken by Cummins.
On the other hand, Ashwin has jumped from 11th to 6th spot on the spinners' rankings, moving ahead of Grimmett, Tayfield, Kumble, Underwood and Gibbs.
Judging by some of the comments here, and earlier votes, there are those who believe Ashwin is underrated and warrants an even higher rank.
Personally, and having included Ashwin in my last voting round, I think his position is about right (I rated Grimmett above him).
Neither have Anderson or Ashwin done anything really different to justify increasing their rankings since last time. But because Anderson doesn't have a hype brigade behind him, we are able to analyse him more objectively.