• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean leaving out a biased idiot who inserts himself into every mention of certain players' names even though its clear there is no way anyone is changing their opinions based on his envy and jealousy.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean leaving out a biased idiot who inserts himself into every mention of certain players' names even though its clear there is no way anyone is changing their opinions based on his envy and jealousy.
Don’t leave yourself out man.

There is no mood when people make big posts about there being no vote manipulation and actually one player just isn't good.
You’re not fun at parties

shortpitched713

International Captain
Because the mod tampered his vote to get a SENA player ahead of a SC player.
Personally, I think it's ****ed too, but I don't think the reason is necessarily this.

Some people insist on rating old time spinners with "good stats", where they never really rate pacers from previous eras. It's absolutely bonkers and inconsistent for them to attempt to hold out these spinners as ATGs who will be overlooked in history, and Ashwin will be rated ahead of Verity in the grand scheme of Test cricket consensus, eventually. But yeah, it's a bit ****ed imo.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally, I think it's ****ed too, but I don't think the reason is necessarily this.

Some people insist on rating old time spinners with "good stats", where they never really rate pacers from previous eras. It's absolutely bonkers and inconsistent for them to attempt to hold out these spinners as ATGs who will be overlooked in history, and Ashwin will be rated ahead of Verity in the grand scheme of Test cricket consensus, eventually. But yeah, it's a bit ****ed imo.
Davidson is criminally underrated imo.

I can understand arguments for Lillee over him since they’re very different bowlers and can be rated for very different things…

Davidson only played 17 of his 44 tests at home. He has a better average (20.53 vs 23.03), the best economy of any great pacer post WWI (by some margin), and a marginally worse SR (62.2 vs 59.8)

Their careers largely overlapped so era difference is neglible. Davidson took more wickets per match/innings, took 14 5’fers and 2 10’fers in his 44 matches compared to Lindwall’s 12 5’fers and 0 10’fers.

I’m just… not seeing an objective reason for putting Lindwall above tbh.

Am I supposed to blindly believe the opinion of a handful of stats nerds on CW over the widespread opinion of the cricketing community as well as my own on Wasim Akram?

If all former cricketers were to vote today, Wasim Akram would turn out to be in the top 3 fast bowlers of all time. He is at worst top 6 or top 7.

Here's cricinfo's all time xi-

The World XI: Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Malcolm Marshall, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Dennis Lillee

Jury -The jury comprised one former captain from each of the top Test-playing teams - Ian Chappell, Clive Lloyd, Tony Greig, Duleep Mendis, Ali Bacher, Intikhab Alam, John Wright, Ajit Wadekar - and four cricket historians and writers.
Lillee would be no.1 quick ever by same metric used. And he finished no.12 here.

current players are subjected to incredible scrutiny for

failing to turn up not only in a series or even a test but even sessions that live long in memory because they’re so ****ing recent

when they have on paper stats like Rabada in Aus they’re rightly exposed as fraud series

hyperfocus on their tiniest failures

tax for benefitting from bowler friendly pitches

tax for not playing against the great behemoths of 20th century because cricket is the only sport that has evolved backwards

and now they also get **** on in advance because they’ll be **** eventually at a point

while older players

- dont get any black marks for any failures because those only exist as bad stats on paper and hey you can explain them away too

- tend to have nostalgia merchants who only remember their best moments and retain them with time because it takes them back to their favourite cricket moments

- benefit from favourable checklist analysis. have a sketchy record against strong opposition or an absent record in some places? well dont worry, we can always make favourable assumptions for you to say how you would have rolled over everyone because you are O L D and O L D is G O L D

- boost from playing against 20th century behemoths
Australia is still the powerhouse of cricket and England is still a decent team. And there is just a two guys in half of cricket history in the top 10/ top 20, Barnes (9) and O’Reilly (10).

ma1978

International 12th Man
Australia is still the powerhouse of cricket and England is still a decent team. And there is just a two guys in half of cricket history in the top 10/ top 20, Barnes (9) and O’Reilly (10).
Australia hasn’t won a test series against Jndia in nearly a decade, how are they the powerhouse of cricket

shortpitched713

International Captain
Davidson is criminally underrated imo.

I can understand arguments for Lillee over him since they’re very different bowlers and can be rated for very different things…

Davidson only played 17 of his 44 tests at home. He has a better average (20.53 vs 23.03), the best economy of any great pacer post WWI (by some margin), and a marginally worse SR (62.2 vs 59.8)

Their careers largely overlapped so era difference is neglible. Davidson took more wickets per match/innings, took 14 5’fers and 2 10’fers in his 44 matches compared to Lindwall’s 12 5’fers and 0 10’fers.

I’m just… not seeing an objective reason for putting Lindwall above tbh.
Only thing is Lindwall played 17 more Tests than Davidson, which doesn't seem like a lot, but they each only played 61 and 44 respectively. I think you could make a pretty good case that Lindwall's career is more substantial.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ffs can you stop this cringe ****

Every post you've made in the last couple weeks has been "Subs is biased against India". Everyone knows what you think about it. Surely after the first 9 or 10 times you can stop. If you're not going to add something worthwhile why post?