• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Davidson is criminally underrated imo.

I can understand arguments for Lillee over him since they’re very different bowlers and can be rated for very different things…

Davidson only played 17 of his 44 tests at home. He has a better average (20.53 vs 23.03), the best economy of any great pacer post WWI (by some margin), and a marginally worse SR (62.2 vs 59.8)

Their careers largely overlapped so era difference is neglible. Davidson took more wickets per match/innings, took 14 5’fers and 2 10’fers in his 44 matches compared to Lindwall’s 12 5’fers and 0 10’fers.

I’m just… not seeing an objective reason for putting Lindwall above tbh.
A ranking of 19th of all-time is not too low. He is ranked just right. He is a slightly inferior bowler compared to Waqar and Holding and comes right after them in the rankings.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
A ranking of 19th of all-time is not too low. He is ranked just right. He is a slightly inferior bowler compared to Waqar and Holding and comes right after them in the rankings.
Except he has a far better average than both, took 5’fers more often than both, and unlike Waqar doesn’t have a big home/away split

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ffs can you stop this cringe ****

Every post you've made in the last couple weeks has been "Subs is biased against India". Everyone knows what you think about it. Surely after the first 9 or 10 times you can stop. If you're not going to add something worthwhile why post?
It's cringe against cringe.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh:

whining in every thread, I am sure salty and tjb know it best. They are the ATGs of it.

Wish it was just whining they did tbh.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Following our latest round of voting two bowlers, who have divided opinion more than most, have been added to our list. Both Ashwin and Anderson have their fans and detractors. I say this without wishing to enter debates on their standings. What I do find interesting is that, over the past 24 months, both have produced figures better than their overall averages. This would suggest that both might improve their standings on the 2 polls (pacers and spinners) conducted in 2022. Strangely only one achieved that.
In Anderson's case, he has retained his 19th spot on the pacers' rankings, having moved ahead of Roberts but being overtaken by Cummins.
On the other hand, Ashwin has jumped from 11th to 6th spot on the spinners' rankings, moving ahead of Grimmett, Tayfield, Kumble, Underwood and Gibbs.
Judging by some of the comments here, and earlier votes, there are those who believe Ashwin is underrated and warrants an even higher rank.
Personally, and having included Ashwin in my last voting round, I think his position is about right (I rated Grimmett above him).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Following our latest round of voting two bowlers, who have divided opinion more than most, have been added to our list. Both Ashwin and Anderson have their fans and detractors. I say this without wishing to enter debates on their standings. What I do find interesting is that, over the past 24 months, both have produced figures better than their overall averages. This would suggest that both might improve their standings on the 2 polls (pacers and spinners) conducted in 2022. Strangely only one achieved that.
In Anderson's case, he has retained his 19th spot on the pacers' rankings, having moved ahead of Roberts but being overtaken by Cummins.

On the other hand, Ashwin has jumped from 11th to 6th spot on the spinners' rankings, moving ahead of Grimmett, Tayfield, Kumble, Underwood and Gibbs.
Judging by some of the comments here, and earlier votes, there are those who believe Ashwin is underrated and warrants an even higher rank.
Personally, and having included Ashwin in my last voting round, I think his position is about right (I rated Grimmett above him).
Not so strange. Look at the last 12 months. 8 tests 15 wickets @ 50 vs Australia and India.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Ashwin rated at current place is just fine to me. He warrants a place ahead of Kumble now. And Anderson with his volume of wickets and longevity does deserve to be rated higher than him. Been a great servant of English cricket.

That Anderson couldn't move up even higher is due to the excellence of the pacers above more than about himself. It is going to be tough even for Cummins in future polls to move up above those pacers. He will have to exceed his current excellence to do that.