• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Harper withdraws from Dominica test

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't know about the stats, but those for umpires based on % correct decisions would be a bit hard to interpret. Super obvious edges help bloat that stat and one umpire might get more than another for example.

Regardless, change the 'is ****' to 'was **** in that game'. So what I'm basically saying, is that Dhoni is right about the fact that Harper was bad, but the fact he didn't take UDRS didn't help the situation and finally he made a comment that should not have come from an international cricketer.

There is basically nothing more to it imo. It's as simple as that.
A wrong decision is still a wrong decision whether it's Aleem Dar understandably missing a ball that's brushed the glove on the way to the keeper or Darrell Hair inexplicably giving a batsman LBW when he's clearly hit the ball.

If you're going to get pissy about an umpire making mistakes, then it might be prudent not to oppose the use of a system which can correct those mistakes.

I'll keep making this point till I'm blue in the face; how much discussion has there been about poor umpiring in the Ashes or the recent England-Sri Lanka series? Almost none, because virtually every bad decision that was made was corrected.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cevno, why would anyone give a **** what Giles Clarke thinks?

The difference between us, and some of you clowns, is that we don't swing on the ECB's dick. If someone attacks the ECB, we don't take it personally like WAH WAH WAH DON'T BE RACIST WHY U HATING ON MY COUNTRY ****ERS

Giles Clarke made a **** comment. I sympathised with him at the time because the decision wound me up, but looking back, what a **** comment. And guess what? Dhoni made a **** comment.

****ing deal with it.
heh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're a Scot, your entire body was already blue before this latest URDS controversy, tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why don't you get it?

Answer my simple question. If you choose system A over system B does that mean that you're implying that system A is flawless? Yes? Or, no?
It does if your only argument against System B is that it's not flawless.

Daemon

A wrong decision is still a wrong decision whether it's Aleem Dar understandably missing a ball that's brushed the glove on the way to the keeper or Darrell Hair inexplicably giving a batsman LBW when he's clearly hit the ball.

If you're going to get pissy about an umpire making mistakes, then it might be prudent not to oppose the use of a system which can correct those mistakes.

I'll keep making this point till I'm blue in the face; how much discussion has there been about poor umpiring in the Ashes or the recent England-Sri Lanka series? Almost none, because virtually every bad decision that was made was corrected.
Yeah, which is why I made the point that Dhoni has himself to blame for not taking the UDRS.

I'm a bit unsure as to which part of my post you're disagreeing with.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
thank heavens harper reacted like a sensitive little girl to some justified but crassly phrased/or aired in the wrong forum criticism of his umpiring. otherwise, so much fervent frothing on this site would have not taken place. dhoni should have just gone upto him on the field and told him that he didn't know **** from shinola. out of curiosity, has anyone from the windies actually mentioned how insulted they were by the back in the hotel comment? could make it even more exciting.

Last edited:

Daemon

This just in

India in West Indies 2011: I got 94% of my decisions correct - Daryl Harper | Cricket News | West Indies v India | ESPN Cricinfo

There was one lbw against Harbhajan [Singh, in the second innings of the first Test] that would have been reversed had the Decision Review System been available. I also failed to detect a no-ball when [Devendra] Bishoo's back foot touched the side or return crease [a delivery off which MS Dhoni was dismissed in the same innings]. It's about as common as Indians eating beef burgers.
Let's play 'Bold and Enlarge the relevant text now'

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
People talk of a fast bowler shortage but with the way India are going I'm more concerned about an Umpire shortage

(I'm Joking)

Last edited:

vcs

Those comments from Harper aren't much better TBF. Did he really have to bring religion etc. into it (re. the beef burger analogy)? Tasteless.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Was Harper's last match ftr(he was not even in the Elite panel anymore) and what he faced from the English in the South Africa tour was far worse ftr.
And if India had their way ,they would want Chris Broad out first pretty sure.

But don't get truth get in a way of a nice Wind - up Gotspin.:p

Edit- I see you edited your post now.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Those comments from Harper aren't much better TBF. Did he really have to bring religion etc. into it (re. the beef burger analogy)? Tasteless.
They are even worse.

Dhoni did not even name his name.

He is just trying to have his last moment in the limelight ,nothing else. He was never shy of being in the limelight.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Haha !! True.

Btw, he allegedly made 6 wrong decisions (3 against each team) ,and Dhoni did not refer to decisions against his own team even.

And this implies out of that the almighty UDRS (the sollution to all problems) would have only overturned 1 and the Dhoni No ball one with Bishoo cutting the line would not have been overturned even then either from the 2 wrong decisions he is admitting too.

But why let truth get in a way of a Jealous rant.:ph34r:

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Was Harper's last match ftr(he was not even in the Elite panel anymore) and what he faced from the English in the South Africa tour was far worse ftr.
And if India had their way ,they would want Chris Broad out first pretty sure.

But don't get truth get in a way of a nice Wind - up Gotspin.:p

Edit- I see you edited your post now.:ph34r:
Haha. Was just a joke mate.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
" His rapport with Dhoni during the debated Test, he admitted, was not the best: "We did not share many pleasantries in the match."
Blame this on Sehwag not being there.

He is in Harper's ear so regularly and chatting,Joking and laughing with him regularly when he his umpire. Would have handled him well this time too:p
Still remember him even teasing each other about their lack of hair in a interview in which Sehwag popped in from the back.

Dhoni works better with Umpires who just do their job and mind their business and are respected like Taufel :ph34r:

Last edited: