• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel Vettori Retires from Internationals

jcas0167

International Debutant
Would be a better read than Richard Boock's biography of him. Awful, awful book.
Heh, I'm just re-reading it now he's retired. It's actually better than I remember it being the first time I read it. My recollection of it was that it was bland and quite boring, which perhaps could be expected given he'd just taken over the captaincy. The most interesting auto-biographies I've read have been written when the subject has retired and can speak with a degree of freedom (if they've been dropped, then bitterness can prompt more candid revelations like the Rutherford autobiography).

I enjoyed the story of Cairns confronting him and McMillan over playing mini-put in the toilets, when the rest of the team were trying to "mourn" a test loss to Australia. Also, I like it when players include a selection of the best they've played against & I liked Vettori's analysis of various opponents.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Fine career, Dan Vettori. Excellent cricketer for the BCs and deserving of a lot of praise.

Also seems like a cracking fella, and I have heard him described by female friends as the thinking woman's cricketing *** symbol.
The "nerd" thing with Vettori never really made sense to me. I don't need my "female friends" to tell me the bloke is pure ***. The face, the beard, that baritone voice, plus he's 6'3" and strongly built (skinny? Maybe 15 years ago). Plus there's the whole PLAYING INTERNATIONAL SPORT AT 18 thing. I mean, his jock credentials are pretty well established.

tl;dr- overrated as a bowler, underrated as an uber-masculine slice of ***ual charisma.
I have a female friend who lusts after Dan.

She is also into Stephen Merchant. So yeah. Weird standards.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always had a lot of time for Daniel Vettori. He never looked like being hit out of the game, by any batsman. And his batting made you believe in fairy tales sometimes.

Au revoir, Dan.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
i won't try to aim for the standards set by Heef in particular - but will contribute the following:
Thanks for being a servant of New Zealand cricket Dan and that is the highest praise I can give anyone upon their retirement. He played for his country when he could have played for $'s in the IPL. He played for his country when only him, Brendon,and Ross could bat and defeat was inevitable, he played when he had niggles, and he just played all the other times too.
I got shouted down here once in my early days on CW for giving the gears to some test debutant for some TV interview where he sounded really stiff. Daniel in his later years was a master of the candid interviews. Goodness knows how he got away with speaking his mind so plainly. But it was always worth tuning into. On one ocassion he actually gave a real answer to why we lost every test match we played at the time. I braced myself for him to give some answer about how it was because we don't play enough tests and he just stared straight into the camera and said it was because we were weak at batting and couldn't string together two good innings in a test.
I don't think I answer difficult questions as honestly as that at work and here he was on TV.
I think part of his legacy will be marred by being a member of the mean girls. But we won't hold that against him now that it is all over.
Fleming went into business (for a while anyway) after retiring, I would pick Dan to do better in that field as I think he would make more incisive comments and get respected for it.
Well done Dan - hope to see you on more TV commercials soon.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The "nerd" thing with Vettori never really made sense to me. I don't need my "female friends" to tell me the bloke is pure ***. The face, the beard, that baritone voice, plus he's 6'3" and strongly built (skinny? Maybe 15 years ago). Plus there's the whole PLAYING INTERNATIONAL SPORT AT 18 thing. I mean, his jock credentials are pretty well established.

tl;dr- overrated as a bowler, underrated as an uber-masculine slice of ***ual charisma.
Are you sure he's 6'3 as I've heard some people lie about their height

Shady Slim

International Coach
he signed as coach of the brisbane heat for three years

love him however as someone from new south wales i must disagree with this decision

that said

live vettori at the gabba for the 2013-14 bbl (which by the way was thankfully won by the sixers) was great

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Just want to say I went to school with Vettori at St Paul's Collegiate in Hamilton , in the same house - Hall House. . A year below me I think. I even had a class (Biology) with him when I was 18 and he was 16 in 1995 I think , cause I had to repeat sixth form again from the year before haha (way before unit standards and 'Years" )

I wrote down a note for a class mate next to me with some bull**** on it. But didn't send it and threw it down. he retrieved it and proceeded to try and take the piss out of me haha. Its funny the stuff from school you remember. I ran into him again in 1997 at Lincoln University in the dining room of all places. The NZ Cricket high performance center was located on Uni grounds and they used the halls of residence dining room. He had grown about a foot since I last saw him and he loomed over me. We exchanged some chit chat and I was on my way. Last time I saw him in person

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just want to say I went to school with Vettori at St Paul's Collegiate in Hamilton , in the same house - Hall House. . A year below me I think. I even had a class (Biology) with him when I was 18 and he was 16 in 1995 I think , cause I had to repeat sixth form again from the year before haha (way before unit standards and 'Years" )

I wrote down a note for a class mate next to me with some bull**** on it. But didn't send it and threw it down. he retrieved it and proceeded to try and take the piss out of me haha. Its funny the stuff from school you remember. I ran into him again in 1997 at Lincoln University in the dining room of all places. The NZ Cricket high performance center was located on Uni grounds and they used the halls of residence dining room. He had grown about a foot since I last saw him and he loomed over me. We exchanged some chit chat and I was on my way. Last time I saw him in person
Good story. I am from Hamilton in my youth, my mates all played against a 16 year old Dan in club cricket and have a few tales. They described him as being very very good back then.

My claim to fame is playing against Scott Styris when he was a 14 year old.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Good story. I am from Hamilton in my youth, my mates all played against a 16 year old Dan in club cricket and have a few tales. They described him as being very very good back then.

If hamilton club pitches were anything like they are now he would've been literally unplayable. Guys like Santner turn it square at 95kph in the second half of the season ffs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If hamilton club pitches were anything like they are now he would've been literally unplayable. Guys like Santner turn it square at 95kph in the second half of the season ffs.
Haha

The only other Dan story I know is that he used to be a reasonable medium pacer who could swing it both ways as a 13 year old. Then he had some sort of injury and took up spin.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant

Dan was also an excellent soccer player as well. Played wing back I think for St Paul's collegiate 1st 11 . I remember watching him rip one into thew top goal from a wing back position one weekend.

yeah I heard he was extremely good spinner even at 16. Played in the 1st 11 cricket team for St Paul's at that age as well. I never watched the 1st 11 cricket side back then when he was playing , did my weekend sport (tennis) and took off back to the family farm.