• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn

Josh

International Regular
Does anyone else realise that this guy is always in a form slump until it's hinted his place in the team is on the line, and then he gives everyone false hope with a few good innings, only to drop straight back into a slump??

That's the way I'm seeing it at the moment. Why don't we tell him every match could be his last he might end up scoring 3,000 runs in a calendar year!!

Majin

International Debutant
I wouldn't really blame him for lack of runs this series, he has had some absolute shocking decisions. Plus he scored runs at Lords anyway.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see what he's done wrong except cop some bad decisions and not get all emotional about it in public, unlike some other Aussies

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, he's had a couple of stinkers & has looked in pretty decent touch when at the wicket. Not sure about his run-calling, mind! :p

Seriously tho, I think he will score runs v shortly (hopefully not in the 5th test, mind), but I can't say the same about Hayden who just looks awful everytime I see him.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Err yeah, he's just clinging on to his place in the team, which is why he averages what... 48 in test cricket?

Find me a team in the world which wouldn't take Martyn in 5 seconds and I'll give you your point.

Majin

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err yeah, he's just clinging on to his place in the team, which is why he averages what... 48 in test cricket?

Find me a team in the world which wouldn't take Martyn in 5 seconds and I'll give you your point.
Can he keep wicket? We'll have him if he can. :p

Josh

International Regular
Majin said:
I wouldn't really blame him for lack of runs this series, he has had some absolute shocking decisions. Plus he scored runs at Lords anyway.
I agree with that but also he's only scored over 50 twice in his last 10 innings. We can excuse maybe 3 bad decisions, looks a bit better but forming on a slump.

I hate it when people bring up averages. Players have been dropped with stunning averages before. What's your point?? They have their time and then they flop.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Majin said:
Not sure, but I'm fairly sure he can bat better than Ian Bell, Michael Vaughan, Kevi... oh well anyone in the England team really. ;)

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Majin said:
Interestingly enough, I heard once when Gilchrist was rested or injured, can't remember which, that they had the option of either bringing in Haddin to keep, or using Ponting or Martyn as a part-time keeper. So he must have some skills with the gloves.

Mind you, they picked Haddin.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marto is still doing ok, he would be our leading runscorer in the series if he didnt cop a few rough decisions.
if anyone is suggesting he should be dropped they should have a long hard look at themselves...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tassietiger said:
Interestingly enough, I heard once when Gilchrist was rested or injured, can't remember which, that they had the option of either bringing in Haddin to keep, or using Ponting or Martyn as a part-time keeper. So he must have some skills with the gloves.

cant say ive heard of Marto keeping before, but i know Ponting has done it a number of times, Hussey could be an option as a part time keeper in the future the same way Jimmy Maher was used for a while...

Majin

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not sure, but I'm fairly sure he can bat better than Ian Bell, Michael Vaughan, Kevi... oh well anyone in the England team really. ;)
That may be so, but we wouldn't want to do anything to ruin our luck with the decisions now, would we? :p He's bad luck, this Martyn.

Josh

International Regular
tassietiger said:

Langer would've been better. One-dayer tho, so no chance.

Majin

International Debutant
Majin said:
That may be so, but we wouldn't want to do anything to ruin our luck with the decisions now, would we? :p He's bad luck, this Martyn.
Actually scratch that, if he was in the England team he'd be getting the decisions and scoring double tons every match, we'll swap you for Bell, he'd fit right in with the bad decisions camp in your dressing room. :}

Slow Love™

International Captain
Josh said:
Does anyone else realise that this guy is always in a form slump until it's hinted his place in the team is on the line, and then he gives everyone false hope with a few good innings, only to drop straight back into a slump??
Not really - I think he's generally been pretty consistent, aside from that slump a couple of years ago.

At times I've felt it's true of Langer. He can have a tendency to go quiet for a while and get a century when the whispers are just starting. This was far more a facet of his early career though, and it seems to have settled down in recent times.

This tendency pretty much describes Greame Wood's entire time in the Australian team though. Well, that and running out his partners every second game.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, he's had a couple of stinkers & has looked in pretty decent touch when at the wicket. Not sure about his run-calling, mind! :p

Seriously tho, I think he will score runs v shortly (hopefully not in the 5th test, mind), but I can't say the same about Hayden who just looks awful everytime I see him.

agree with that except i do hope he scores runs in the 5th test ;)

howardj

International Coach
Josh said:

That's the way I'm seeing it at the moment. Why don't we tell him every match could be his last he might end up scoring 3,000 runs in a calendar year!!
You've just described Mark Waugh.

Naveed

Cricket Spectator
No coincidence seeing Martyn struggle regardless of the bad descicions. England have worked him out. He is to loose outside his offstump.....and doesn't play swing well (tell me which Aussie does).

He has scores heavily square on the offside they have not bowled short outside off to him.....and had good fields for him. The same with Langer and Hayden the fields they have set must get them wondering where they are gonna get their runs from.

chalky

International Debutant
That run out in the 2nd test was poor though. If he would have put in half a sprint he would have made it easily. Should have got a good kicking for that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Slow Love™ said:
This tendency pretty much describes Greame Wood's entire time in the Australian team though. Well, that and running out his partners every second game.
Rumour is that it's a hereditary trait. Got a young son much the same.