• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Come on Joe that's not a serious argument. FWIW, Tendulkar's frequency as an opener might just be better, but that's not my reason to rate Tendulkar a little higher though.
I wasn't being entirely serious there. I do rate accomplishments though. I'd rate both Haynes and Jayasuriya ahead of Greenidge on the basis of their achievements in the game. Greenidge doesn't stand out on his own. Haynes held the record for ODI 100s for so long.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff again NUFAN - a few blokes there (ME Waugh in particular) that I'm really surprised aren't considerably higher.

smash84

The Tiger King
I had him in my 25.

Ppl gotta look at his record.
WAG
Watto in the top 25 of all time might be stretching it. He is good but not THAT good. In fact he might not even make Australia's top 10 greatest players of ODI ever let alone a top 25 of all time from all teams

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Watson didn make my 25 but he has every chance to do so in the future. I keep looking at Chris Cairns and I'm wondering what else Watto has to do to be ranked higher?

howardj

International Coach
My next group will be 30 to 26, it's not going to happen today, but just seeing who people are expecting to see in these positions?
Micky Lewis lol
Anyway, appreciate the passion and dedication that's gone into this compilation.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watto in the top 25 of all time might be stretching it. He is good but not THAT good. In fact he might not even make Australia's top 10 greatest players of ODI ever let alone a top 25 of all time from all teams
IMO it wouldn't be totally out of the question to have him partnering Gilchrist in an Aussie all-time XI. Comparable record with the bat to Mark Waugh (although Hayden is a fair bit ahead of both), and offers a lot more with the ball. Obviously needs to keep going though, he's only played 118 games to Waugh's 244 and Hayden's 161. Couple more centuries wouldn't hurt either, though I guess he's spent a lot of his time down the order.

smash84

The Tiger King
IMO it wouldn't be totally out of the question to have him partnering Gilchrist in an Aussie all-time XI. Comparable record with the bat to Mark Waugh (although Hayden is a fair bit ahead of both), and offers a lot more with the ball. Obviously needs to keep going though, he's only played 118 games to Waugh's 244 and Hayden's 161. Couple more centuries wouldn't hurt either, though I guess he's spent a lot of his time down the order.
He still has a lot to prove as you say. He has not played enough just yet to dethrone the like of Mark Waugh and Hayden. Also whenever one thinks of Mark Waugh, inevitably, the bowlers of that era pop into mind. The bowlers in his time were so much better than what Watson has to face.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am liking this list so far. NUFAN's player descriptions are too good.

I don't have any major disagreements thus far with the list (except that Inzi should have been higher than DeSilva).

So far, I had only 2 players from my list. They are Haynes and Bond.

I have a gut feeling that all the rest of my 23 players will be in CW's 1-30.

Hmmm, if I have to guess 30-26 now, I'd go with Ganguly, McCullum, Miandad, Hussey, Dean Jones. I had Hussey, Jones and Miandad in my top 25, and not the other 2. But I guess those 3 might be rated by others lower than I did.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have had Bondage, Andy G and Junior on my list so far. Had Cairns there too, but took him out to make room for Symmo.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am liking this list so far. NUFAN's player descriptions are too good.

I don't have any major disagreements thus far with the list (except that Inzi should have been higher than DeSilva).

So far, I had only 2 players from my list. They are Haynes and Bond.

I have a gut feeling that all the rest of my 23 players will be in CW's 1-30.

Hmmm, if I have to guess 30-26 now, I'd go with Ganguly, McCullum, Miandad, Hussey, Dean Jones. I had Hussey, Jones and Miandad in my top 25, and not the other 2. But I guess those 3 might be rated by others lower than I did.
Even I would rate Inzi higher than De Silva but it would be close for me. Both were top players.

I didn't put Hussey in my top 25 although now that I think of it he could have made the cut. Definitely above Watto as a batsman