• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown

bagapath

International Captain
damn. That is a big miss..........hopefully everybody else has included him so it shouldn't matter too much

Not too many come to mind with his ability to bowl and bat in an ODI.
flintoff, watson, imran on on side, pollock, hadlee on the other and symonds, jayasuriya and s.waugh on another side were equally good if not better all rounders than him. he was an accurate but somewhat less penetrative opening bowler and an exciting but unreliable lower order bat. but yes, he was an awesome fielder anywhere in the ground and had that X factor to his game that made him a superstar. a very good all rounder. top 10 perhaps. but not the best. definitely not without competition. doesnt mean I dont love his game, just that i rate him higher in tests than ODIs.

smash84

The Tiger King
flintoff, watson, imran on on side, pollock, hadlee on the other and symonds, jayasuriya and s.waugh on another side were equally good if not better all rounders than him. he was an accurate but somewhat less penetrative opening bowler and an exciting but unreliable lower order bat. but yes, he was an awesome fielder anywhere in the ground and had that X factor to his game that made him a superstar. a very good all rounder. top 10 perhaps. but not the best. definitely not without competition. doesnt mean I dont love his game, just that i rate him higher in tests than ODIs.
i think that watson's batting is better. Kapil was primarily a bowling all rounder who could play big knocks at times. His 175 being the prime example. A Shahid Afridi sort of a batsman. Has a phenomenal SR of 95. Avg a bit on the lower side but he could be explosive. Generally a very good and accurate bowler.

I think it is early days for Watson. Still has some way to go before i give a judgment on him. Flintoff i thought was over rated. Imran was nowhere near as good in ODIs as he was in tests. His batting was decent in ODIs and became a solid batsman towards the end of his ODI career. S waugh stopped bowling a long time before his odi career ended so not really an all rounder. Jayasuriya was good but a lot of people rate bowling all rounders higher than batting all rounders.

biased indian

International Coach
I'll try and get them done after work. If I was just going to write the names I would do it now, but it takes a little longer.

I'm enjoying reading the speculation on certain players who may or may not make the list.
dont make it too long or people will move on :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The 50 best ODI Cricketers so far
50 Chris Harris
49 Chris Gayle
48 Jonty Rhodes
47 Neil Fairbrother
46 AB de Villiers
45 Michael Holding
44 Shane Watson
43 Allan Border
42 Chris Cairns
41 Martin Crowe
40 Malcolm Marshall
39 Nathan Bracken
38 Gordon Greenidge
37 Greg Chappell
36 Mark Waugh
35 Saeed Anwar
34 Desmond Haynes
33 Shane Bond
32 Inzamam-Ul-Haq
31 Aravinda de Silva
30 Brett Lee
29 Sourav Ganguly
28 Michael Hussey
27 Allan Donald
26 Javed Miandad

Now for 25 to 21..

25 ANDREW SYMONDS

Andrew Symonds | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 144
Total Nominations 16/30
Highest Rating 6

Andrew Symonds brings gusto to whatever he does, whether firing down offbreaks or mediums, hurling his ungainly bulk round the field or vigorously ruffling the bowler's hair at the celebration of a wicket. He saves his loudest grunt for his batting, where he is that rarest of modern-day creatures - an unabashed six-hitter.

During almost five years in and out of the one-day side he frittered away golden opportunities galore. One day changed everything. Striding out with his team in turmoil against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup, a game and tournament he never expected to play in, Symonds sculpted a masterly 143 not out in 125 balls. Until that day, he had mustered just 762 one-day runs at only 23; after that he averaged more than 43 and became a hero to those who adored his clumping style.

24 MS DHONI

MS Dhoni | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 160
Total Nominations 18/30
Highest Rating 6

There was a time when the very idea of an Indian cricketer rivalling Sachin Tendulkar in the popularity stakes bordered on the preposterous. But the advent of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his meteoric rise through the ranks did just that, with a new generation transfixed by a small-town boy whose personality and background couldn't have been more different from that of Tendulkar.

Becoming a safe keeper and a batsman capable of shifting through the gears as he pleased. Sometimes discomfited by the short ball, he compensated with astonishing power in his preferred hitting zones. The scythe over midwicket, even to yorker-length deliveries, drove bowlers to distraction, and his mastery of the 50-over game is revealed by a batting average that remains close to 50 after more than 150 games.

23 CURTLY AMBROSE

Curtly Ambrose | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 163
Total Nominations 15/30
Highest Rating 5

Fee fi fo fum. A giant of the game in every sense, Curtly Ambrose was the most lethal pace bowler of his generation.

As a bowler, he was always miserly accurate but occasionally, when fired up, as unforgiving and as devastating as a hurricane, and virtually unplayable: But maybe of all these weapons, the most potent was his silence. Many fast bowlers have tried to put batsmen off their strokes by utilising various forms of verbal and physical intimidation. Curtly intimidated you with hush

Curtly stood 6ft 7ins and released the ball from almost 10ft high, but there was more to Ambrose's game than bounce. When his extreme pace deserted him, he fell back on subtle seam movement and an immaculately grooved action.

22 ZAHEER ABBAS

Zaheer Abbas | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 172
Total Nominations 15/30
Highest Rating 4

Zaheer Abbas was a stylish, elegant batsman. In full flow, he was a sight for sore eyes.

There was not a touch of arrogance about Zaheer's batting but of lyrical, fluent movement, his innings memorable for a refined, effortless beauty. His strength was precision and timing. He had the ability to go on back and front foot with equal facility, on occasions moving from backward to forward or vice versa during the course of one stroke and yet send the ball crashing to the fence. A high back-lift gave him a touch of elegance, and combined with powerful and supple wrists guiding the ball into the gaps on both sides of the wicket, he scored a very high proportion of his runs in boundaries. When the going was good, he seemed like a maestro at work, his artistry, his elegance leaving connoisseurs awestruck.

21 SAQLAIN MUSHTAQ

Saqlain Mushtaq | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 179
Total Nominations 18/30
Highest Rating 9

A trend-setter. Saqlain Mushtaq was perhaps the first offspinner to master the doosra, a delivery that spins away from the batsman even though it is delivered with an offspinner's action.

Saqlain's international career got off to a splendid start - he was the fastest bowler to 100 one-day wickets, and his phenomenal control meant that he regularly bowled at the death.

Saqlain took 288 wickets from 169 matches at a splended average of 21.78.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Looks like Freddie won't be making the cut then :cry:

I think even I had Symonds above him

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Expected Dhoni to be top 20. Many on this forum have made convincing arguments for Dhoni in the all time ODI XI.

It's amazing the legacy that Zaheer Abbas has left on the game. 62 games only, and he is still remembered as one of the true greats. It is funny how some don't rate Bond very high due to the limited games he played, and yet he has 20 more than Abbas.

All worthy selections.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am surprised to see Symonds in the top 25. His bio here tells a lot. A little surprised that Zaheer crept in despite playing only 60 odd ODIs. Also surprised that Saqlain only ended up at 21. Although that might be because Ikki and Maximus (despite having Saqlain's name in his sig) forgot to put him in. One of the greatest ODI bowlers of all time.