• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Cricket Weekly Quiz Thread

turnstyle

State 12th Man
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Graham Gooch
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Garry Sobers
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Dennis Lillee
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Alister Cook? dunno
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Lions, Warriors, Titans
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? c-h-e-a-t
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? something is telling me Walter Hammond, but i'm sure it was like Neil Harvey or Colin Cowdrey
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Terry Duffin
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1989 v Pakistan?
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) Murali

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Graham Gooch
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80. Vettori
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Stuart MacGill
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Cook
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Cape Cobras, Something Titans, Namibia
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralidaran
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Neil Harvey
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Dufferssss
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1989
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) McGrath

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Round 2 Answers

1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Graham Gooch. 456 v India in 1990
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Vettori
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Dennis Lillee
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Ryan Sidebottom
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? Lions, Warriors, Titans, Cape Cobras, Dolphins and Eagles
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? possibly a bad question but using Cricinfo as the authority Muralitharan
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Taibu
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old)- Viv Richards

pasag

RTDAS
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? possibly a bad question but using Cricinfo as the authority Muralitharan
As (I think) I said, Ch9 actually asked him in an interview during the Test series which was the right spelling and he confirmed it was the one with a D (iirc).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match?
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets?
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United?
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6)
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'?
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s?
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game?
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut?
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old)

Some easy ones and some tougher. I hope its a little harder than the last one but still accessable. When people start getting 10 out of 10 Ill look to make it more difficult.

and remember, no cheating. :)
From my memory (not much)-
1. Gooch
2. Sobers
3. Marshall
4. Cook
5. No way dude (and don't wanna know either).
6. Muttiah
7. Neil Harvey
8. Taibu
9. 1989
10. V. Richards

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Graham Gooch. 456 v India in 1990
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Vettori
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Ryan Sidebottom
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? Lions, Warriors, Titans, Cape Cobras, Dolphins and Eagles
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Taibu
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old)- Viv Richards
hmmm...was searching allowed?
Edit:Oops sorry, you are the one who posted the questions! :)

pasag

RTDAS
If Goughy doesn't mind. just to get this rolling again:

1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship?
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'?
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002?
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball?
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour?
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings?
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final?
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)?
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over?
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50?

Will be pretty tough for some and really easy for others.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
1. Warwick Armstrong
2. Stan McCabe
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Richard Hadlee
5. Harold Larwood and Don Bradman
6. Alec Bedser
7. Viv Richards
8. Mark Waugh
9. no idea
10. Four

This might be embarrassing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1. Warwick Armstrong
2. Should know it, but can't remember. Know the "Chinaman" was Puss Achong tho.
3. Sachin?
4. Ian Smith?
5. Gubby Allen & Vic Richardson?
6. Bedser?
7. Viv Richards?
8. Mark Waugh?
9. Gerry Alexander
10. If we include Kallis I make it 3: Him plus Pollock & Nourse.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
1. Warwick Armstrong
2. Hammond
3. Tendulkar
4. Edgar
5. Vic Richardson and Freddie Brown
6. Bedser
7. Clive Lloyd
8. Bob Simpson
9. Stollmeyer
10. Three. (Kallis, Pollock and Barlow?)

No idea about most of that, tbh.

99*

International Debutant
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball?
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings?
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over?
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50?
1- Warwick Armstrong
2- Walter Robins
3- Sachin Tendulkar
4- Bruce Edgar (on 102)
5- nfi
6- nfi
7- Lloyd???
8- M Waugh. (161 iirc)
9- Gerry Alexander
10- Guess three.

turnstyle

State 12th Man

1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship? Warwick Armstrong
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002? Ranji?
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball? Sir Richard Hadlee
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour? Donald Bradman/Harold Larwood
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final? Clive Lloyd
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)? Mark Waugh
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50? 6?

woah. tough

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
In a blatant rip off of the thread in Off Topic.

These questions are cricket related and the same rules apply. No cheating, google, wiki, looking at the answers posted by others etc.

1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located?
3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea?
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final?
6. From what wood is a cricket bat made from?
7. In what year was the first ever Test match?
8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup?
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs?
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match?

If the questions are too easy Ill make them harder next time. Same goes for if they are too hard.

Honestly though, Im expecting a few 10 out of 10s here, though its tough to get all correct.

Good luck :)
1.Sutcliffe
3.Geraint Jones

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant

10.Graeme Pollock

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
1. Armstrong
2. Yuvraj Singh
3. Gavaskar
4. Trevor Chappell
5. Hutton / Bradman
6. Compton
7. Lloyd
8. Fleming, S
9. Dinnath Ramnarine
10. 7

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship?.....Armstrong
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'?....Walter Robins
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002?.....Kapil Dev
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball?....NO IDEA
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour?....Wyatt and Ponsford maybe ?
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings?....NO IDEA
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final?.....Clive Lloyd
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)?....Mark Waugh
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over?.....Alexander
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50?....Let's see Richards, Pollock, Melville, Van der Bijl at least. Could be some others with very small careers .

Isura

U19 Captain
I would guess I get 5/10.

1. Headley
2. Cape Town
3. Chanderpaul?
4. Kapil Dev
5. Jayawardene and Ponting
6. English Willow
7. 1885
8. West Indies
9. Tendulkar
10. Sri Lanka

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship?.....Armstrong
2. Who uttered the immortal 'Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman'?....No idea
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002?.....Kapil Dev
4. Who was standing at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell bowled the infamous underarm ball?....Richard Hadlee
5. Name both vice-captains of the Bodyline tour?....Ponsford and Larwood?
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings?....Bedser
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final?.....Clive Lloyd
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)?....Mark Waugh
9. Frank Worrell was the first black man to lead the West Indies, who did he take over?.....No idea
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50?....Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Melville, Nourse, Jacques Kallis, Van der Bijl

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
1. Which cricketer was known as The Big Ship? Warwick Armstrong
3. Who was named India's cricketer of the century in 2002? Gavaskar
6. Eric Hollies dismissed Bradman in his last ever Test innings, who dismissed him in his second last Test innings? He was not out
7. Who was named Man of the Match in the first ever World Cup final? Richards
8. Who has taken the most catches in Test cricket ('keepers not included)? Taylor
10. How many South African Test crickters in the history of the game have career averages with the bat over 50? 2