• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Cricket Weekly Quiz Thread

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Now, it is for those who love cricket stats.

1. Who took most number of wickets for England in the 50's?
2. Which bowler playing more than 20 tests has the best strike rate in test cricket after World War 2?
3. Which kiwi bowler took the most number of ODI wickets in the 5 years from '96 to '00?
4. Who has scored most number of ODI runs for West Indies in the '90s after Lara and Hooper?
5. Who am I? I bowled only 18 overs in test cricket...took 3 wickets for 47 runs for India...And after that didn't get any chance to bowl at test level.
6. How many (if any) English batsmen scored more than 21 centuries in test cricket? Name them/him (if applicable).
7. Who are the two West Indian captains captaining exactly in 22 test matches?
8. Who am I? I took 2 test wickets at an average of 174.5. I also scored 13 ducks. And yes, you've assumed correctly, I also had the priviledge of captaining my side at test level.
9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average (in my country) in ODI is over 50.
10. Who am I? My test average in '90s was 44.43 and that in ,00s is 53.21.

For each of the questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7; first correct answer will get 1 mark, 2nd correct answer 0.9, 3rd correct answer 0.8 and so on.
For each of the questions 5, 8, 9 and 10; first correct answer will get 1 mark and all the correct answers to follow will get 0.
Searching and looking at others' answers are allowed :) .

Come on, let the wild guesses flow.

[All the quoted figures are true only till the date of posting; some of them might change after some days.]
1. Laker
2. Mark Boucher (if bowler means anyone who has bowled in tests) . If you mean someone who played all these games as a regular bowler then it is Dale Steyn.
3. Chris Harris
4. Phil Simmons
5. Subroto Bannerjee
6. Five (Cowdrey, Boycott and Hammond - 22 each, Barrington and Gooch - 20 each)
7. John Goddard and Courtny Walsh
8. No one
9.There are at least two players who fit this (there might be more). Inzy and Ajay Jadeja
10. Jayawardane

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ok... going to try out my luck playing by the rules. If it doesn't work, to hell with it.. I am gonna google.. :p

1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe

A: Herbert Sutcliffe

2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located?

A: Cape Town

3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea?

A: Geraint Jones

4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40

A: pass

5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final?

A: Mahela Jayawardene and Ricky Ponting

6. From what wood is a cricket bat made from?

A: Willow

7. In what year was the first ever Test match?

A: 1876

8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup?

A: West Indies

9. Who has scored the most ODI runs?

A: Sachin Tendulkar

10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test?

A: Pakistan

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Of these three, who has the highest Test batting average? George Headley, Sir Garry Sobers or Herbert Sutcliffe George Headley
2. In what city is Newlands cricket ground located? Cape Town
3. Which Test cricketer was born in Kundiawa, Papua New Guinea? Geraint Jones
4. Who is this cricketer? I have taken 383 wickets at average 28.40 Ian Botham
5. Who were the 2 captains in the 2007 cricket World Cup final? Ponting and Jayawardene
6. From what wood is a cricket bat made from? Willow
7. In what year was the first ever Test match? 1877
8. Which team won the first mens Cricket World Cup? West Indies
9. Who has scored the most ODI runs? Tendulkar
10. Who were the opponents of Zimbabwe in their first Test match? India

Ill add together the score of those that took part soon
That was a very easy one compared to the second one posted by Weldone which I answered after checking my stats spread sheet.

If I had seen this first one on time and answered from memory I would have got only number three wrong - rather couldn't have answered.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Who took most number of wickets for England in the 50's? Percy
2. Which bowler playing more than 20 tests has the best strike rate in test cricket after World War 2? Malcolm Marshall
3. Which kiwi bowler took the most number of ODI wickets in the 5 years from '96 to '00? Chris Cairns
4. Who has scored most number of ODI runs for West Indies in the '90s after Lara and Hooper? Sherwin Cambell or Shiv Chanderpaul
5. Who am I? I bowled only 18 overs in test cricket...took 3 wickets for 47 runs for India...And after that didn't get any chance to bowl at test level. John Wayne
6. How many (if any) English batsmen scored more than 21 centuries in test cricket? Name them/him (if applicable). 2, Gooch & Gatting
7. Who are the two West Indian captains captaining exactly in 22 test matches? Shiv Chanderpaul & Clive Lloyd
8. Who am I? I took 2 test wickets at an average of 174.5. I also scored 13 ducks. And yes, you've assumed correctly, I also had the priviledge of captaining my side at test level. The Phantom
9. Who am I? I played more than 150 ODIs. My overall average in ODI is below 40 but my home average (in my country) in ODI is over 50. - Mahela Jayawardene
10. Who am I? My test average in '90s was 44.43 and that in ,00s is 53.21.Herschelle Gibbs

Plenty of wild guess'

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match?
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets?
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United?
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6)
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'?
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s?
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game?
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut?
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old)

Some easy ones and some tougher. I hope its a little harder than the last one but still accessable. When people start getting 10 out of 10 Ill look to make it more difficult.

and remember, no cheating. :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United?
5. Name 3 South African Franchises? (Hint, there are 6)
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game?
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old)

Some easy ones and some tougher. I hope its a little harder than the last one but still accessable. When people start getting 10 out of 10 Ill look to make it more difficult.

1. Gooch : 456 (333 and 123) in 1990 against India
  2. Vettori
  3. Lillee
  4. ???
  5. Dont get the question. If you are asking for SAF who are in the IPL (Smith, Boucher, Kallis)
  6. Muralitharan
  7. Harvey (I think)
  8. Taibu
  9. 1989
  10. ???

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Graham Gooch
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Daniel Vettori
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Murali seems too obvious...Botham?
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? No idea, perhaps Luke Wright?
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Dolphins, Titans and Eagles
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralitharan
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? No idea
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? If their last test was against NZ I think Heath Streak may have captained it...will go with Tatenda Taibu though.
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 89 vs Pakistan
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) No idea, maybe McGrath?

99*

International Debutant
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6)

1- G. Gooch
2- D. Vettori
3- ??? Hadlee???
4- R. Sidebottom
5- ???
6- Muttiah Muralithian
7- ???
8- T. Taibu
9- 1989
10- V. Richards

EDIT: Damn, the name. And Hadlee? wtf was I thinking.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Brian Lara (yes, I know it's single innings, can't imagine anyone with more than 400 though)
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 - Jacques Kallis
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Malcolm Marshall
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Heh. Charlotte Edwards?
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Cape Cobras, Titans, Dolphins
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralitharan (though given that it's Tamil, you should really use Tamil script and there are bucketloads of ways to transliterate it)
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Colin Cowdrey
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Prosper Utseya
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1990
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) Ian Botham

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Graham Gooch V India 1990

Steve Harmison

Muttiah Muralitharan

no idea!

Muralidaran

no

no idea

I liked the first one better LOL, had a bit of a brain freeze here

ozone

First Class Debutant
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Gooch
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Vettori
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Murali
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Swann
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Pass
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralitharan
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Cowdrey
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Taibu
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1989
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) Botham

pasag

RTDAS
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Sobers?
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Murali?
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Ryan Sidebottom
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Eagles, Dolphins, Titans
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralidaran, as confirmed by the man himself in Australia last year
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Harvey, I think
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Streak?
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? '89
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) Hadlee, I think.

Too many stats questions! :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
1. Graham Gooch
2. Harmison
3. Botham
4. James Anderson
7. Neil Harvey
8. Taibu
9. 1987
10. McGrath

shankar

International Debutant
1. Gooch
2. Harbhajan
3. Botham
4. -
5. Cobras,-,-
6. Muralitharan
7. Barrington?
8. Taibu
9. 1990
10. Mcgrath

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Vettori
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Murali most probably
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United? Ryan Sidebottom
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Titans, Dolphins, shrug Free State
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Want to say Brian Close for no reason whatsover and a strong feeling he was the 60s
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Taibu
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1988
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) Gough's fairly old

Chubb

International Regular
1. Who has scored the most runs in a single Test match? Graham Gooch v. India at Lord's
2. Who am I? I have 245 Test wickets at an average of 34.80 Abdul Qadir
3. Which bowler was the fastest (in terms of games) to 300 Test wickets? Hadlee
4. Which current England Internationals father played football for Manchester United?dunno
5. Name 3 South African Franchises (Teams) from their Domestic cricket? (Hint, there are 6) Dolphins, Titans, Lions
6. Correctly spell the full last name of the player commonly known as 'Murali'? Muralidaran (Tamil, which he prefers) Muralitharan (other)
7. Which player scored the most Test runs in the 1950s? Peter May?
8. The last Test played by Zimbabwe was in 2005. Who was their captain in that game? Tatenda Taibu
9. In what year did Tendulkar make his ODI debut? 1988
10. Who is the oldest player to take 5 or more wickets in an innings in an ODI for a Test nation? (clue he was 37 yrs old) McGrath