• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cronjegate or Hairgate? Which is biggest?

Which scandal was bigger?

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
Which is more massive, more scandalous? Which will shake cricket more?

We've seen all the sleaze, corruption, and mismanagement that cricket is capable of in the last week, but I still think for "shock horror" element, Cronjegate pips it..

PY

International Coach
Don't think there's any contest really, the Cronje saga was much more disgusting than this.

This is just high drama/soap action.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pretty easily Cronjegate, in spite of all the recent goings on (which are likely to die down within the next month or so). Once it came out that Cronje WAS guilty, and various allegations of other players (some might have been founded, some may have been sheer slander), the integrity of the entire international competition was at stake.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Cronje's transgressions were clearly of a higher magnitude, but in terms of column inches generated over here in the People's Republic of Brit it's Hairgate by a fair bit. It even relegated the first week of the Premiership season off the back pages on Monday!

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
I think Cronje's transgressions were clearly of a higher magnitude, but in terms of column inches generated over here in the People's Republic of Brit it's Hairgate by a fair bit. It even relegated the first week of the Premiership season off the back pages on Monday!
Thats what I thought, not even Cronje made the first event to be read out on the headlines at the 6 o clock news.. Maybe its because a test match in England was cancelled as a result

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Rajeev said:
Biggest BS after Bodyline
Rajeev said:
Well i had a good laugh after looking at Rajeev's avatar showing Hair himself tampering the ball:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .What a great idea by hair, tamper the ball himself, blame it on Inzi and later on ask the governing body to pay him $$$.:D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much ado about a little really. If the ICC allow Hair to continue umpiring, I'd say they'd have handled the Cronje situation far better than Hairgate. The bribe was a step too far.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I often wonder what all these scandals would be called if the Watergate scandal had taken place in say a Hilton Hotel instead...Hairton? Hilcronje? Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I voted Cronje by the way. Just felt the need to say that, even though it is a public poll so you can see anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cronje made me doubt future cricket matches for a while, and really hurt the sport much more than this. Others who usually couldn't care about cricket started taking notice.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Rajeev said:

Um, after bodyline? Cronjegate was a hunded times worse than bodyline. Bodyline was simply against the spirit of the game, cronjegate almost destroyed the game.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Cronje without doubt. Hair was an idiot but the whole saga has been dramatised by the Pakistan team, the sub-continent supporters and the ICC.