• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who have excelled at other Sports..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The lower the better, but the top professionals go well past scratch.

Even those not good enough to be professionals can go +1, +2 etc.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Three people not mentioned till now :-

Asif Karim (former Kenyan cricket captain) - played Davis Cup Tennis for Kenya

S.R.Tendulkar - did not play professionally but beat a state table tennis champion when challenged in a t.t. match.

Kapil Dev - tried his hand at Football and Golf after retiring. Managed to play for East Bengal football club (currently the best football club in the country) and managed some handicap in golf which was far from notable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
M.J.Gopalan who played one test for India played hockey succesfully for India and won olympic medals (gold maybe some one verify this?). I read about it in a cricket magazine 2-3 years ago and so am not completely sure about it right now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fannie De Villiers also mentioned earlier in the field of athletics is probably the best Javelin thrower cricket has known. Not the most popular/unpopular which ofcourse is Murali ;)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Gary Lineker was apparently a very good cricket player in his youth but turned to football. The silly fool :D look where he is now huh? 8-)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Liam Botham did the same if I am not wrong. Where is he know btw!? And Viv Richard's son still playing cricket?

twctopcat

International Regular
Pratyush said:
Liam Botham did the same if I am not wrong. Where is he know btw!? And Viv Richard's son still playing cricket?
He plays rugby league with leeds rhinos as far as i can remember.

twctopcat

International Regular
Pratyush said:
Okay error on my part. How successful has he been over all?
I don't follow league really so can't really help you, i don't think he has played for great britain though i may be wrong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
twctopcat said:
I don't follow league really so can't really help you, i don't think he has played for great britain though i may be wrong.
They (Leeds) punted him off to London Broncos on loan. I think he scored a couple of tries for Leeds in about a dozen games.

He's played for England Under-21s & England "A" in Rugby Union, so he's no mug. Wales were keen on him playing for them too.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
The most current example would have to be Rudi van Vuuren

Not many people can have claimed to play in the Cricket World Cup and Rugby World Cup inthe same year. Van Vuuren has....for Namibia, but it's still an acheivement.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
M.J.Gopalan who played one test for India played hockey succesfully for India and won olympic medals (gold maybe some one verify this?). I read about it in a cricket magazine 2-3 years ago and so am not completely sure about it right now.
He was a double international playing hockey and cricket but to the best of my knowledge he did not play at the olymics, refusing to go to the Berlin Olympics since the Indian cricket team was touring England the same year, 1936.

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:

Does that mean that the handicap is negative for professionals?

Scallywag

Banned
Jnr. said:
Does that mean that the handicap is negative for professionals?
Professioals dont have handicaps because they are professionals.

To become a professional you need to attend a professional school and if you make the grade you then get you pro card. You need to win a certain amount of money on the pro circuit to gain entry to the US pros.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:

As you can see once you get your handicap down to three you are eligible to apply for a PGA traineeship.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR A PGA TRAINEESHIP
To be eligible to be accepted as a trainee member for entry into the Academy, an applicant shall meet the following requirements:

* Be at least eighteen (18) years of age during the calendar year of application.

* Have attained minimum of Year 12 and a standard of education acceptable to the Academy. (It is preferable that applicants have attained HSC level or equivalent).

* Produce and demonstrate accurate evidence of playing ability. Male applicants shall have an official amateur handicap of three (3) or better and/or demonstrate their playing ability through a playing test conducted by the respective Divisional Office.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some other cricketers who had a fairly good at other sports :-

Simon O'Donnell turned down an offer for Aussie Rules Football
Inzy was far more enthusiastic for football as a teenager till his elder brother brought him to senses
Lee Germon only played tennis till the age of 9 and his parents wanted him to pursue tennis.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mark Ramprakash is a talented footballer and teaches it at a school in the winter apparently....

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sledger said:
Mark Ramprakash is a talented footballer and teaches it at a school in the winter apparently....
Murphu Sua ...Has taken up Professional golf