• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In one of my games a grown man got in the face of a teenager who he felt over celebrated a catch. The teen did celebrate hard but he was just happy he took a catch, there was no malice. The grown man while walking off said something like "why you carrying on champ it was down your throat", the teenager just said "yeah yeah keep walking"

Of course the grown man didn't take that well, he went right up to him and started threatening to bash him for being a smartarse, I remember at one point he said "I'll get a life ban **** I don't care!" I remember thinking "how stupid must this guy be, it'd be a court appearance not just a life ban lol"

We all talked him down but it was hard work. It was literally the kind of de escalating I've done with mental health clients at work. At a ****ing game of sport that I pay a stupid rego to be part of. What's meant to be a recreational activity

I have no time for any sledging anymore. It's bloody pathetic

RiderJake

Cricket Spectator
By happy coincidence, when we went to test drive a car over the weekend, the sales bloke was a kid Burgeinho played juniors with - in a team I used to coach.

The look of joy on this kid's face as he happily recounted how I used to stand behind him in the nets with a stump pointed at his backside so he wouldn't back away from the ball was fantastic to see. And when he told Mrs Burgey how, if he bowled a wide, even though he wouldn't look at me, he could sense my eyes boring a hole in the back of his head with a look of hatred from the square leg umpiring position before I made him run a lap of the ground after the day's play for every wide, my eyes welled up with tears of pride.

Then he called his colleagues over and introduced me, and told them how I smashed a stump on the wall of the dressing shed after we got chased down in the last over of the first game of the year in under 14s after bowling 26 wides and no balls, before emphasizing to them how the message got through and we didn't lose another game all season on our way to the premiership. As he said, I may have been a bit old school, but the great man got results.

To hear him recount these episodes was wonderful. To have had an impact on a young kid's well being and to enhance their enjoyment of life and the game like that is something I'm extremely proud of.
I think that guy had more pride in spending time with you and achieving some results in the past :)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone here read this blog? Actually, better question might be does someone here/used to be here write it...

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In the 1981-2 India v England series, Graham Gooch scored 487 runs @ 54.11, held 4 catches and took 2 wickets. After a one-off Test in Sri Lanka he went on the rebel tour of South Africa and was banned for 3 years.
He returned in the 1985 England v Australia series, in which he again scored 487 runs @ 54.11, held 4 catches and took 2 wickets.

(AFAICT the most runs any batsman has scored twice in a series is 521 by Allan Border, but his averages, wickets and catches were all different).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgetta's new BF seems a nice enough kid and is a lower grade leg spinner at Burgeinho's club 0- they're mates.

He has no pretensions to being anythign special at all but he's having a good year on the park.

Anyway., Burgetta is up at the shops the other day and Nathan Lyon is doing a book signing, so she buys the book and he dutifully signs it

"Dear Andrew,
Keep bowling ****house. Believe me, it works.
Best wishes,
Nathan Lyon"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgetta's new BF seems a nice enough kid and is a lower grade leg spinner at Burgeinho's club 0- they're mates.

He has no pretensions to being anythign special at all but he's having a good year on the park.

Anyway., Burgetta is up at the shops the other day and Nathan Lyon is doing a book signing, so she buys the book and he dutifully signs it

"Dear Andrew,
Keep bowling ****house. Believe me, it works.
Best wishes,
Nathan Lyon"
Started reading this assuming Burgetta was your wife, thought it was very progressive of you

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Full Scorecard of Australia vs West Indies, Australian Tri Series (CB Series), 3rd Final - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Can someone explain why Allan Border was player of the match in this game? Was Burgey the judge?
And can someone explain why Viv Richards was player of the match in this game?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. Kris Srikkant did a program in the mid 90s on TV here in India and he clearly mentioned this match as the first time he remembered anyone getting man of the match for their fielding.

Kris is also a huge Viv fanboy and even rates him as the best batsman he has ever seen, but still, think he would remember correctly. :)