• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After 22 years of commentating for Sky Sports, David 'Bumble' Lloyd is moving on.
Gonna feel very weird watching Sky with Gower, Botham, Lloyd and Holding all gone. Still has Nasser and Atherton but it’s lost a touch of character, I feel.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
These days all tailenders not named Anderson are happy to face pace, 10-15 years ago a lot of them were scared of express bowlers. How the game changes.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
These days all tailenders not named Anderson are happy to face pace, 10-15 years ago a lot of them were scared of express bowlers. How the game changes.
nah i can't back this. i am a noted clouderson critic but one thing you can give him no matter what is no matter how fearsome the fast bowlers coming back at him are while he's batting he'll always front up, and not only front up but try his best to dig in and survive for as long as he can. there are so many dedicated test batsmen who would average 5-10 runs more if they had the attitude that jimmeh does

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i think that attitude of anderson's has waned as the years have past by. a decade or so ago he was a genuine pain in the arse sometimes with the bat with pretty stout defence. he had that crazy run of innings without a duck.

he still possesses way more fortitude than broad though.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
nah i can't back this. i am a noted clouderson critic but one thing you can give him no matter what is no matter how fearsome the fast bowlers coming back at him are while he's batting he'll always front up, and not only front up but try his best to dig in and survive for as long as he can. there are so many dedicated test batsmen who would average 5-10 runs more if they had the attitude that jimmeh does
I know, was just poking fun at him coz of how he reacted to the bouncer barrage by Bumrah. It was funny coz I didn't see the Aussie bowlers sparing any Indian tailenders when we toured there. Regardless of anything, don't think Anderson or any tailender for that matter are scared of pacers.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Yeah, Anderson's better in that regard than Broad, surely.
On a serious note, I wouldn't really look down on someone being scared of facing quality pace. Anyone who has faced 130k+ speed knows how much quicker the ball is than it appears. TV angles are funny. I wouldn't mind people showing express pace bowlers from a side angle at times, would be fun to watch.

Shri

Mr. Glass
On a serious note, I wouldn't really look down on someone being scared of facing quality pace. Anyone who has faced 130k+ speed knows how much quicker the ball is than it appears. TV angles are funny. I wouldn't mind people showing express pace bowlers from a side angle at times, would be fun to watch.
when watching cricket games in stadiums while in india, i was always at ground level behind the bowler or at the stands facing pitch from mid on so i didn't really appreciate pacers that much

saw a mitchell starc spell at the SCG from one of the upper decks with @Dan

you cannot register the ball leaving his hand and thudding into the keeper's gloves

not even a blur

its amazing

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Re comments on Broad and Anderson batting.
Broad was more than useful until he was struck in the face when a short ball broke through the grill of his helmet.
Anderson holds the record for the most Test not outs (100?) and doesn't give his wicket away easily.
I wouldn't use the word 'scared' when describing them facing quicks ... more like 'apprehensive'.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, I have long suspected Broad's lack of courage with the bat at least partly predates being sconed by Varun Aaron. Look at the way he played Johnson in that Ashes, you can't possibly tell me that he wasn't already averse to the short ball even then.

All the technique of a wacky waving inflatale arm flailing tube man

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon he got Anderson and Broad confused. Anderson was famously being a little bitch in 2013 facing Johnson when he was whinging and trying to get out of having to face (hence the well-deserved broken ****ing arm comment) but other than that has never been lacking in fortitude like Broad
when watching cricket games in stadiums while in india, i was always at ground level behind the bowler or at the stands facing pitch from mid on so i didn't really appreciate pacers that much

saw a mitchell starc spell at the SCG from one of the upper decks with @Dan

you cannot register the ball leaving his hand and thudding into the keeper's gloves

not even a blur

its amazing
Surprised you could see anything from that far away tbh