• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Cricket Scribe

Cricket Spectator
To give a flavour of Monty’s Double I would say this: Former Surrey cricketer Montgomery 'Monty' Bossitor finds himself among the ruins of post-war Berlin, taking part in one of the most extraordinary cricket matches ever played - a game that has serious implications for the Cold War. Has a first ball LBW appeal ever had such ramifications?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Making the ball buzz

Bradman once likened the experience of facing Bill O'Reilly to facing "a swarm of bees," but I don't know that he had in mind the effect attributed to Mailey and Turner. The latter, according to CB Fry, "made the ball spin like a humming-top; you could hear the ball buzz in the air as it travelled from his hand." I remember Tony Stubbs telling me similar stories about a first-class Indian bowler whose name escapes me, and I'm pretty sure I've heard it said of others as well. Has anyone ever experienced this? Better still, has anyone any corroborating footage? And does anyone know who that Indian might be?

Cricket Scribe

Cricket Spectator
Five successive FIVE STAR reviews for MONTY'S DOUBLE: the superb new thriller by Neil Sambrook - where an English cricketer always has a trick up his sleeve.

Available as an Amazon Kindle Book. IMG_20171209_000709_965.jpg

neville cardus

International Debutant
Bradman once likened the experience of facing Bill O'Reilly to facing "a swarm of bees," but I don't know that he had in mind the effect attributed to Mailey and Turner. The latter, according to CB Fry, "made the ball spin like a humming-top; you could hear the ball buzz in the air as it travelled from his hand." I remember Tony Stubbs telling me similar stories about a first-class Indian bowler whose name escapes me, and I'm pretty sure I've heard it said of others as well. Has anyone ever experienced this? Better still, has anyone any corroborating footage? And does anyone know who that Indian might be?
Don't know why I've posted this here. Will make a new thread out of it.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Reading The Golden Age of Cricket: 1890 - 1914 by David Frith. The photos in it - it really is more a photographic book - are stunning.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Has anyone read 'The Demon and The Lobster'? looks like an interesting book which covers Charles Kortwright and one of the last lob bowlers, Digby Jephson. Also does anyone know of any other books which cover Kortwright himself, as his story really interests me considering he was poised as the fastest bowler of his time and never played an international.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has anyone read 'The Demon and The Lobster'? looks like an interesting book which covers Charles Kortwright and one of the last lob bowlers, Digby Jephson. Also does anyone know of any other books which cover Kortwright himself, as his story really interests me considering he was poised as the fastest bowler of his time and never played an international.
There's "Korty, The Legend Explained" by Charles Sale

Midwinter

State Captain
Mitchell Johnson - Resilient

Autobiography, told in the first person.

The writing is nothing special but the story is interesting.

Interesting to learn of his family life growing up, that he didn't take up cricket till mid-late teens, played tennis as a kid.

Comes across as you see him on the tele or on the radio, a likable good-natured, easygoing bloke, but shy,naive, not a deep thinker.

Worth a read

:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Was reading Old Ebor's obituary of EM Grace today, and learnt from it that he almost certainly had notes prepared for Shaw-style biographies of both "The Coroner" and Bob Thoms. The excitement of such discoveries is almost always tempered by the realisation that these materials are probably lost.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am currently reading Fingletons cricket crisis. His Bradman criticism is a bit overblown, theres a lot of praise for him in there amongst a few negative stories

Marius

International Debutant
Reading The Test by Nathan Leamon.

He used to be England's performance analyst, and this book is set during the Fifth Test of an Ashes series, with the captain of England (only appointed due to an injury to the regular skipper) as the narrator.

Really enjoying and one of the better cricket books I've ever read, I daresay.