• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Unless I have £170 (Cheapest price on Amazon market place) hanging around, Litchfield's book will have to wait for now.
Sorry about that, did not know the price, it was not a very well covered series. R.S. Whitington had the choice between doing the 1970 series and a bio on Tiger O'Reilly

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Sorry about that, did not know the price, it was not a very well covered series. R.S. Whitington had the choice between doing the 1970 series and a bio on Tiger O'Reilly
Not your fault. Shame the series seems to be not as well documented as others from the period. From reading about it in Wisden and from players such as Barry Richards, it sounds fascinating and excellent book material.

archie mac

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Not your fault. Shame the series seems to be not as well documented as others from the period. From reading about it in Wisden and from players such as Barry Richards, it sounds fascinating and excellent book material.
Some other things that happened; The SA cricket board wanted the Aussies to play a 5th Test (the series was very popular in SA) The CA agreed, but in their contract the Aussie players had the choice, and led by IMC demanded more money. CA refused but the SA CB offered to pay them a bonus. There was some heated arguments between the Aussie players, and in the end they refused. Otherwise I think it may have ended 5 zip.

Lawry then wrote a letter to CA about the joke of playing a series in SA after a tough series in India. Chappell wanted all the players to sign the letter, but Lawry refused and took it upon himself, this is believed to be one of the main reasons Lawry was sacked as Aussie captain in the next series.

You can find these things covered very well, in 'Chappelli speaks out' by Ashley Mallett. and also in Ali The Life of Ali Bacher by Rodney Hartman.

stumpski

International Captain
That 1970 series was South Africa's first for three years - the previous one had also been a home series against Australia, so it's not surprising they wanted an extra Test. It seems incredible now that everyone was prepared to tolerate a situation where South Africa only played against the 'white' teams.

archie mac

International Coach
Ganja Farmer said:
the only cricket book i have is the steve waugh book, good read that too.

I was at the book store, and the paper back edition was the No.1 selling book. The new Shane Warne bio was No. 4 and Roland Perry's The Ashes was No. 10

FRAZ

International Captain
archie mac said:
I will have a quick look into it mate and let you know :happy:

I remember one story about German cricket: There were a couple of Englishman from Lords in Germany and they had heard that a player had been punched in the face for dropping a catch.

They spoke to the head of German cricket and said 'we don't think that sort of behaviour will encourage young Germans to play cricket'

The head of German cricket responded 'yes, but you must understand it was a very easy catch'
Actually Archie the particular incident that I wanted to tell is quite annoying but anyways . There is a story which many told me on different occasions including my dad (and any other Pakistani fella may also acknowledge me) .
Once there was a test match going on b/w two regional German teams and Mr Hitlor was the guest of honour on the first day . The day passed and then Hitlor went some where out of the city and when he came back for the prize ceremony of the match he found out the match has been a draw . Hitlor said "What the hell are you guys been doing? For 5 days you have been playing and couldn't decide who won .Bogus game , Its banned now and shoot these players" .
I know it is tough but may it is one of those bitter pills of the history !!!

archie mac

International Coach
FRAZ said:
Actually Archie the particular incident that I wanted to tell is quite annoying but anyways . There is a story which many told me on different occasions including my dad (and any other Pakistani fella may also acknowledge me) .
Once there was a test match going on b/w two regional German teams and Mr Hitlor was the guest of honour on the first day . The day passed and then Hitlor went some where out of the city and when he came back for the prize ceremony of the match he found out the match has been a draw . Hitlor said "What the hell are you guys been doing? For 5 days you have been playing and couldn't decide who won .Bogus game , Its banned now and shoot these players" .
:laugh: You crack me up!

archie mac

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
There was a brief book on the history of German cricket written by James Coldham in 1983 that you might find of interest. Do a google search.
The above was ltd to just 125 signed No. copies, so may be a little expensive.

The only other one I know of is Die Welt des crickets: edited by Brian Fell.

Don't think the Hitler story is true tbh, but could be wrong :ph34r:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FRAZ said:
Was that the same match where Hitler made a whirl-wind 73 (65) against a wayward attack consisting of Schumacher, Beethoven and Einstein?

stumpski

International Captain
Archie, I've just heard from Jim on extra-cover.com that the Australian Wisden is going to be discontinued - did you know about this? I haven't seen anything about it on Cricinfo.

archie mac

International Coach
stumpski said:
Archie, I've just heard from Jim on extra-cover.com that the Australian Wisden is going to be discontinued - did you know about this? I haven't seen anything about it on Cricinfo.
No, not a thing. That is a real shame, I have read everyone of them (still reading the latest one) and find them a great read.

FRAZ

International Captain
Matteh said:
History may need to spellchecked.
OK it is Hitler . I am extremely sorry to offend you by creating an optical illusion ...
Gosh !!!!
Check out the heading of this Essay
http://www.academiclibrary.com/view.php/History/hitlor.htm
Check out the name of this film "Hitlor Brothers"
http://user.7host.com/jagathi/fSearch1.asp?fname=Hitlor Brothers

Check out the spellings displayed in this book
http://www-tech.mit.edu/archives/VOL_089/TECH_V089_S0403_P011.pdf

A big site www.moopuna.com displayed two spellings including "Hitlor"..
http://www.moopuna.com/European-History4.html

Almost 90% Chinese forums showed me the spellings "Hitlor" .

OK pardon my ignorance and it is "Hitler" . I am sorry . Whenever I am angry or passionate about writing something then I bang my fingers and just slam the post so may be I put wrong spellings ..
Mr Spelling Nazi ,"Did you get my point or not"?
If you understood that what I meant then ,Why are you running a test on me ??
P.S .(BTW When I ran the spell Checker on this post then first two mistakes were "Matteh and spellchecked and guess what ,I pressed "ignore" on both occasions.:ph34r:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:
Lots of stuff about loads of people spelling it Hitlor too and typing passionately
You spelt it wrong 4 times i think, and it's something that really should be spelt right.

FRAZ said:
Mr Spelling Nazi
I find this funny in way you probably didn't mean it to be :)